You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Scottish Independence, yay or nay?

Baltar

I have no doubts that independence would be extremely problematic, but it doesn’t mean it should be completely ruled out. Plenty of European countries with similar sized populations seem to manage to do very well for themselves.

I’m not sure the SNP would be the best party to run Scotland post independence however, they seem to have built their entire movement on aping Labour’s policies and blaming the Tories for absolutely everything. I think they’d be clueless if they had nobody else to blame for Scotland’s problems. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Mook said:

I don't think that is true.

Going on something I read after the last GE, if every seat in Scotland had voted Labour, the tories would still be in power.

Difficult to vote for Labour up here, Scottish Labour make Laurel & Hardy look like fucking geniuses.

Mook - as much as he's a dick, George Galloway is so articulate and intelligent; do you think he could found his own party and challenge the SNP in an independent Scotland? Sturgeon might find herself like Churchill after WWII and not what people want. Even the most fanatical SNP supporters must be getting a bit tired of her Kim Jong Un press conferences, and attempts to restrict freedom of speech.

7 hours ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

Mook - as much as he's a dick, George Galloway is so articulate and intelligent; do you think he could found his own party and challenge the SNP in an independent Scotland? Sturgeon might find herself like Churchill after WWII and not what people want. Even the most fanatical SNP supporters must be getting a bit tired of her Kim Jong Un press conferences, and attempts to restrict freedom of speech.

George Galloway is a laughing stock, nothing he does would fly up here.

I can see a split in the SNP with this Salmond stuff though, could be interesting.

14 hours ago, Numero said:

I agree with her. I hope we are particularly cunty about our military hardware etc. No joint military, no bullahit concessions, no nuke sharing, no keeping jobs in Scotland to help them through. If they want to leave, like we did with the EU, it’s on the leaving party to suck it up. 

Why the fuck should Scotland care about military hardware? One of the benefits of being independent would be not wasting money on nukes or pretending to be some global power and killing people for no reason in the Middle East.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Why the fuck should Scotland care about military hardware? One of the benefits of being independent would be not wasting money on nukes or pretending to be some global power and killing people for no reason in the Middle East.

Haha. Not sure if serious. Why should Scotland care about military hardware? Well, for the same reason every other country does, and because of their desire to join NATO. 

Why would they want military hardware. Yeah, okay. 

16 hours ago, Numero said:

Haha. Not sure if serious. Why should Scotland care about military hardware? Well, for the same reason every other country does, and because of their desire to join NATO. 

Why would they want military hardware. Yeah, okay. 

Dude, the only country that has attacked Scotland in the last one thousand years can easily be kept out by just building Hadrian's Wall a bit higher.

2 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Dude, the only country that has attacked Scotland in the last one thousand years can easily be kept out by just building Hadrian's Wall a bit higher.

Nah let's just go down the azerbaijan Nagorno-karbakh route and just strap grenades and haggis to inexpensive drones and fly them into the all of the expensive English hardware and buy loads of mid range skuds off the Iranians and fire them at central London. The Non-doms and tax exiles would tell the conservative kleptocrats to call it off immediately, couldnae have all that high end property getting damaged.

3 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Pretty sure Glasgow got bombed to fuck in WW2

Quick check on Wikipedia confirms 1200 deaths and 1000 injured so not as bad as Liverpool|(4000 deaths) but still pretty horrific

4 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Nobody has attacked Sweden either, but they’ve got Grippens buzzing all over the place. There’s a point in there. I’m not sure what it is, but there’s a point. 

Also, we should absolutely invade Scotland. Empire 2.0, like the last time but even shitter. First Scotland, Tomorrow it’s Bosnia. 

On 28/11/2020 at 22:51, A Red said:

Sturgeon must have an answer to the central bank and currency question

Reminds me, when I was about 8 I decided i'd had enough and was leaving home. Got as far as the back of the flats and realised I hadnt packed anything for my tea. I sat there for about 2 minutes contemplating and decided it best to go home. 20 minutes later I was eating findus meat pancakes and my mum never mentioned the episode again.

It feels like Brexit all over again...FREEDOM...but with no idea that I know of about how the country will operate, from the economy to the monarchy (now that would be something to vote for)

The defence stuff is interesting, presumably Scotland would still want and need to be part of Nato and the yanks used to have bases all over the shop, dunno if they still do, but there was an intelligence base at Stornoway I think for monitoring Soviet subs passing between Scotland and Iceland.

The angst over navy subs being based up there is probably more about propagating the idea that England treats it as a nuclear dumping ground, rather than the fact its coasts lend themselves to naval shenanigans. 

Besides which you'd assume shipbuilding and the likes have sustained many a Scottish job over the years, as has the military for that matter.

5 minutes ago, Mook said:

It's mixed but there are plenty of English people kicking about.

I was just being mischievous. 
I worked in Lanarkshire for a while we I first started work, and people used to mix me up on the phone with another woman who happened to work in the same office because I think we were about the only English people working  in the council at the time. It felt different the minute we moved here

52 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The angst over navy subs being based up there is probably more about propagating the idea that England treats it as a nuclear dumping ground, rather than the fact its coasts lend themselves to naval shenanigans. 

No propagation required...

https://www.scotsman.com/news/environment/mod-under-fire-over-plan-radioactive-waste-dump-clyde-2026720

The Scotsman is hugely pro-Union by the way.

To be honest If I was Scottish I’m sure I’d want independence and I genuinely wish  them well, I’m just sick to fucking death of hearing about it. I mean what’s the point of a referendum if you keep asking for another one untill you get the decision you want? There’s no chance for stability or long term planning. I think it needs to happen, just get the fuck on with it.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

To be honest If I was Scottish I’m sure I’d want independence and I genuinely wish  them well, I’m just sick to fucking death of hearing about it. I mean what’s the point of a referendum if you keep asking for another one untill you get the decision you want? There’s no chance for stability or long term planning. I think it needs to happen, just get the fuck on with it.

Yeah that's where I'm at with it. If the North West was to go it alone we'd probably be fucked but you get to the point where the whole gig is nosediving and you might as well spin the wheel. 

That being said, these "once in a generation" votes are coming along too often and it seems cynical to just keep asking the question until you get the answer you want. Between votes there'll he increased activism designed no doubt to wear dissenting voters down.