You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Scottish Independence, yay or nay?

Baltar

2 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Would it be an instantaneous thing or would it take a few years to sort itself out ?

If Scotland did break away, I reckon Putin would be all offering all sorts of stuff to park his navy in Scotlands ports just to piss us off even more. 

Ha, I think he'd be told to piss off in no uncertain terms, it's the supposed patriots like Trump and Johnson who'd bend the knee to that cunt and his corrupt friends.

It would take a while to sort out I'm sure, negotiating re-entry to the EU would be high on the agenda, as would either adopting the Euro or creating its own currency. None of those would happen quickly. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Ha, I think he'd be told to piss off in no uncertain terms, it's the supposed patriots like Trump and Johnson who'd bend the knee to that cunt and his corrupt friends.

It would take a while to sort out I'm sure, negotiating re-entry to the EU would be high on the agenda, as would either adopting the Euro or creating its own currency. None of those would happen quickly. 

Has a plan ever peen set out to how it would all work and over what period of time ? 

11 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Would it be an instantaneous thing or would it take a few years to sort itself out ?

If Scotland did break away, I reckon Putin would be all offering all sorts of stuff to park his navy in Scotlands ports just to piss us off even more. 

I reckon it would be a mess for a good 10 years which is why I abstained in 2014. The SNP are pretty incompetent at the best of times & still don't seem to have a robust answer to the currency question.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Has a plan ever peen set out to how it would all work and over what period of time ? 

Yes, a fairly detailed one as well- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland's_Future

As Mook says, the currency issue was largely fudged- I went ahead and voted 'Yes' as getting away from the fucking Tories would be a massive gain...

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Mook said:

I reckon it would be a mess for a good 10 years which is why I abstained in 2014. The SNP are pretty incompetent at the best of times & still don't seem to have a robust answer to the currency question.

It’s a bit like Brexit and the toppling of Saddam Hussein. Loads seemed to think these were good things but what is then created in their place turns out to be much more difficult to agree upon and that’s without knowing how other parties will respond to your decision. Not decisions to take lightly

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Champ said:

It’s a bit like Brexit and the toppling of Saddam Hussein. Loads seemed to think these were good things but what is then created in their place turns out to be much more difficult to agree upon and that’s without knowing how other parties will respond to your decision. Not decisions to take lightly

We see a group of my wife's old school friends quite regularly, nearly all of them are Catholic and left-leaning- none are what you would call even remotely 'Unionist'. Out of the 15 or so people, it was only me and my missus who actually voted 'Yes', all of the others ranged from wary to very hostile. 

3 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Even if you're attached to England?

Yes. The SNP will spend the next 4 years saying "we demand another referendum", and the Tories will spend the next 4 years telling them to fuck off because they "value the Union", and in the meantime neither party will have done anything to address the material concerns of people in either country, because why would they if they can rely on flag fucking for votes?

And even if/when there eventually is another ref that the SNP win, breaking up will be a messy, drawn out affair that costs eye-watering amounts, benefits nobody, and inflames all the worst attitudes we see in society today. It's an utter, utter waste of time. At the very best it'll take 10-15 years and Scots will have to pay through the arse afterwards with a nice healthy dose of austerity because the party who delivered it don't really give a shit about doing social democracy, but are savvy enough to realise that pretending they do is good for business.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Yes, a fairly detailed one as well- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland's_Future

As Mook says, the currency issue was largely fudged- I went ahead and voted 'Yes' as getting away from the fucking Tories would be a massive gain...

Interesting that one of the things listed is keeping the monarch as head of state. Also that they want to retain ties with the BBC. How would that work with the licence fee ? Also there's a lot of distrust with the BBC among the leave voters as they were accused of being pro remain during the referendum campaigns.

I think it'd take more than ten years to sort all that shit out. There's just to many issues that would cause division among the Scottish themselves.

This one did make me chuckle though.

Replace BBC Scotland with a Scottish Broadcasting Service (SBS) from 2017, but continue close ties with the BBC, including airing content such as Doctor Who and EastEnders. The Scottish Broadcasting Service would also try to join the European Broadcasting Union and therefore be able to compete in the Eurovision Song Contest.

• Upvote 1

On 26/03/2013 at 06:38, Rico1304 said:

Let them fucking have it, lock up the borders for 15 years and when they've all either drunk or smacked themselves to death go back and reclaim it.

Allow Champ to be ambassador to a country of her choice to avoid the carnage.

Still true. 

7 hours ago, Nunavut Patrick said:

One reason Quebec never achieved the final votes required for separation was currency. The two leaders at the time, Jacques Parizeau and Lucien Bouchard couldn’t come up something concrete.

Concrete currency would be a bastard to carry around and easy to forge.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

That would be ace. We could remake A Letter to Brezhnev and set it in Glasgow. 

19 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Wales can fuck off with any abandon ship plans, at least the Scotts have had the good grace to not help land us in this shit in the first place. 

Pit towns voting Tory did what even call centre work could never do to me, it broke my spirit.

mapChanges-en.png

Wales wasn’t even officially a country when the United Kingdom was formed, it was part of the Kingdom of England and Wales. Hence why there is still a Prince of Wales, and there not being any Welsh Dragon on the Union Jack.

So they’d need to at least go through a war of independence or something to deserve to break away I reckon. Maybe march on London and impale Boris Johnson on a giant leek.

Fail to see how the break up of the UK is in anyway beneficial to Scotland in the long term. You can’t argue for staying in the EU whilst arguing to leave the UK.

If your argument is that Scotland will rejoin the EU I also fail to see how that works as well.

The politics of division will make our enemies stronger and Nationalism is just stupid anyway.  

On 05/07/2020 at 15:40, Mook said:

I thought it was gonna be the 'smackarooney' ? 

54 minutes ago, Antynwa said:

Fail to see how the break up of the UK is in anyway beneficial to Scotland in the long term. You can’t argue for staying in the EU whilst arguing to leave the UK.

If your argument is that Scotland will rejoin the EU I also fail to see how that works as well.

The politics of division will make our enemies stronger and Nationalism is just stupid anyway.  

A well constructed & beautifully executed post in full.

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...