You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Scottish Independence, yay or nay?

Baltar

There's still a shit load of European money being pumped into Liverpool. Education wise a lot of qualifications are benefited from the European Social Fund (I'm a former tutor and had to have the ESF funding sign on show at every lesson up until I left 12 months ago) and I think that makeover of the offices that was formerly The Golf Bar on Tithebarn Street was funded with European investment too.

I cant comment on the education stuff but I was surprised to see the bit about the former golf bar building so had a quick look and found this. 

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/deserted-liverpool-building-6m-makeover-3320969

There's no mention of European funding.

As I've admitted, my memory isn't what it was but I remembered something about EU funding for the area stopping. Turns out it was back in 2006 and it was Objective One funding for Merseyside.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/6077940.stm

I cant comment on the education stuff but I was surprised to see the bit about the former golf bar building so had a quick look and found this.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/deserted-liverpool-building-6m-makeover-3320969

There's no mention of European funding.

As I've admitted, my memory isn't what it was but I remembered something about EU funding for the area stopping. Turns out it was back in 2006 and it was Objective One funding for Merseyside.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/6077940.stm

Fair enough, I just remember a huge ESF sign on the billboards used to hide the works as I used to walk past it. They probably recycled them from other jobs and didn't remove the logos.

Guest Pistonbroke

I was out with a group of friends earlier. We were chatting away but at some point someone was going to have to mention the elephant in the room. Last time round 2 of them had been massive independence supporters but to a woman the response was a coĺlective groan of anguish and 'not again, please.' It feels as if people/friends/families had just about been reconciled to the outcome of the last vote and had been able to heal those relationships only to be forced to revisit those old wounds again and it's only just begun

Well you won't have to worry until after you are out of the EU as May has fucked a referendum off until at least then. 

Well you won't have to worry until after you are out of the EU as May has fucked a referendum off until at least then.

I was just reading this. Is this woman completely thick? Talk about playing into your opponents hands. Since whenever did telling Scots what they can and can't do by a Tory government turn out well?

I was just reading this. Is this woman completely thick? Talk about playing into your opponents hands. Since whenever did telling Scots what they can and can't do by a Tory government turn out well?

Agreed I'd imagine this would well add another 3 to 5 % to the pro independence vote. I think the conservatives messaging to the Scots is the product of having virtually no representation there for a generation plus and therefore not having a clue as to how to approach things north of the border. Unless the long term goal is to hive it off ,so that they can rule the English as a right-wing xenophobic autocracy in perpetuity. 

Its not so far fetched is it ?

For the Conservative and Unionist Party?

But you can absolutely see the logic...the Labour party is doing the work for her and with those pesky Scots gone their mission will be complete

For the Conservative and Unionist Party?

But you can absolutely see the logic...the Labour party is doing the work for her and with those pesky Scots gone their mission will be complete

Proposed boundry changes alone will make it an extremely uphill task for anyone to challenge the conservatives, especially with Scotland's MP's off the grid. 

You think she's try to engineer a Yes vote?

Thinking about it, she's probably just happy baiting the hook for now. I doubt she wants the extra headache of having to deal with a Scottish referendum while Brexit has got to be dealt with. She'll just use the time to poke you all and then when your all pissed off enough, referendum it is. 

Thinking about it, she's probably just happy baiting the hook for now. I doubt she wants the extra headache of having to deal with a Scottish referendum while Brexit has got to be dealt with. She'll just use the time to poke you all and then when your all pissed off enough, referendum it is.

My views on nationalism are no secret but how can it be that the Scottish Parliament has the power to decide that it wishes to carry out a referendum but then has to go cap in hand to Westminster to be able to hold one

I agree with the first part. Massively complicates Brexit

I hate May and don't put anything past the Tories but she will not wish to preside over the Government that lost the Union.

I think I'm right in saying any vote to leave by Scotland would take a number of years to enact and they would still be sending MPs to Westminster in 2020 if we get that far.

I keep saying the Tories are not invincible and its true, Social services are their achilles heel and Brexit will go badly.  At some point Labour are going to join the party and if they have any sense work out and electoral strategy with the Lib Dems , May has had an incredibly easy ride since she was crowned "New Thatcher" behind closed doors with the global economy doing quite well , commodities have picked up and crucially Brexit has not gone off the start line. Tax revenues have been up and unemployment falling yet with all the winds in her favour the pound has devalued , inflation is feeding through and public services are on the point of collapse. They are under investigation in up to 10 constituencies for electoral fraud, they are doing U turns after every budget and its starting to come out that they are woefully unprepared for the complexities of leaving the EU.     

There are plenty of reasons to expect a very rocky road ahead for these bastards

The Scots can still hold an advisory referendum, can't they?

That's what they'll do if May doesn't agree a date even if it's early 2019. Not exactly going to able against the outcome of an advisory referendum are they if they vote leave, Brexit means Brexit after all.

I voted leave or out or yes or whatever it was last time. Not this time. An independent Scotland outside the EU does not stand much of a chance. No bargaining power at all. Even in the Eu outside the U.K. Trade tariffs would cripple us. Unless the UK gets a free trade deal with the single market. Doubtful.

• 2 years later...