You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Scottish Independence, yay or nay?

Baltar

Not sure yet, mate. Will probably be fairly nomadic for a while. I have a lot of family in Chile so may go there first. Like to see Uruguay as well. Then probably do a bit more try before you buy travelling of Europe. 

Would you recommend Germany? If so, where?

I spent 2 months in Chile several years ago and loved it

Beautiful country and people but examples of inequality and social injustice that dwarf the UKs

If you have a trade and you can speak German then i would recommend it. You can find work if you don''t speak the language but obviously it would restrict you in getting a decent/well paid job. Area wise the better paid jobs are in Southern Germany or Frankfurt area although the standard of living is costly. I like living in North West Germany, always found work although I do have 2 trades and can speak the lingo, my written German is pretty naff though. South America sounds good, hot women and beautiful landscape. 

Well, I can't speak German. Although I wouldn't move anywhere that I didn't speak the language at least a bit. So would be more than happy to learn. 

I think I'll end up in South America or Southern Europe.

Guest Pistonbroke

Well, I can't speak German. Although I wouldn't move anywhere that I didn't speak the language at least a bit. So would be more than happy to learn. 

I think I'll end up in South America or Southern Europe.

Yeah, learning the language and integrating culturally was important to myself. I hate these cunts who move to a country and do neither, they hang about in their own little circles with people who came from the same country of origin and then wonder why they struggle to make a happy home and find work, fucking cunts. 

Yeah, learning the language and integrating culturally was important to myself. I hate these cunts who move to a country and do neither, they hang about in their own little circles with people who came from the same country of origin and then wonder why they struggle to make a happy home and find work, fucking cunts. 

I just don't understand it. Even for holidays. Probably the number one aspect of leaving the country, for me, is...leaving the country.

Guest Pistonbroke

I just don't understand it. Even for holidays. Probably the number one aspect of leaving the country, for me, is...leaving the country.

Exactly, take in the culture, the local people and try out something new. The majority go abroad, seek the English/German/Russian sectors, bake themselves on the beach all day and then go to said sector bars and get pissed whilst trying to shag anything that moves. 

When the wife and I went to Bulgaria we hung around with Bulgarians, this restaurant had me in the kitchen showing them how to do Yorkshire puddings, Beef Wellington etc properly. Needless to say we got loads of meals and drink for nothing and if we needed a car to visit places they would lend us theirs. They also gave us tips where to go and visit, none of which were in the Hotel or in the tourist information place. 

Exactly, take in the culture, the local people and try out something new. The majority go abroad, seek the English/German/Russian sectors, bake themselves on the beach all day and then go to said sector bars and get pissed whilst trying to shag anything that moves. 

When the wife and I went to Bulgaria we hung around with Bulgarians, this restaurant had me in the kitchen showing them how to do Yorkshire puddings, Beef Wellington etc properly. Needless to say we got loads of meals and drink for nothing and if we needed a car to visit places they would lend us theirs. They also gave us tips where to go and visit, none of which were in the Hotel or in the tourist information place. 

Place I go to in Italy at least once a year is exactly how you describe your trip to Bulgaria. Speaking bits of not only Italian, but the local dialect. Going into town for coffee and a morning read (what I can) of the Gazzetta. Siesta in the afternoon when the place briefly turns into a ghost town.

Eating incredible local food. Getting involved in the local conservation projects. All generations down in the square in the evening for a few drinks. Feels fucking amazing when you've been accepted into something like that. I realise there is only so much you can do in a couple of weeks holiday, but you get so much more out of it if you make an effort. We went to Lindos in Rhodes in May, me and a couple of mates. Met friends for life. Gave us advice if we fancy going for longer (places to rent etc). Ace.

The earlier comparison between the number of Tory voters in Scotland against a selection of northern cities was misleading.

We are not comparing apples with apples unless both samples uses the same demographics. Not including rural voters in the Nothern English sample is clearly going to skew the comparison as Tories are significantly stronger in these areas, across all regions of the UK.

Guest Pistonbroke

Place I go to in Italy at least once a year is exactly how you describe your trip to Bulgaria. Speaking bits of not only Italian, but the local dialect. Going into town for coffee and a morning read (what I can) of the Gazzetta. Siesta in the afternoon when the place briefly turns into a ghost town.

Eating incredible local food. Getting involved in the local conservation projects. All generations down in the square in the evening for a few drinks. Feels fucking amazing when you've been accepted into something like that. I realise there is only so much you can do in a couple of weeks holiday, but you get so much more out of it if you make an effort. We went to Lindos in Rhodes in May, me and a couple of mates. Met friends for life. Gave us advice if we fancy going for longer (places to rent etc). Ace.

It pays to mingle, you also come back from your holiday relaxed and ready to ease back into normality. Living in Germany I am lucky, some great places to visit within Germany and the neighbouring countries. Saying that, there are an awful lot of places you can visit in the UK, unfortunately a lot of people wouldn't even dream of holidaying at home, unless it involved getting constantly pissed, had a bingo hall and a karaoke bar. I know people who refused to cross the Tyne bridge and basically had never left their own City/Town. 

The earlier comparison between the number of Tory voters in Scotland against a selection of northern cities was misleading.

We are not comparing apples with apples unless both samples uses the same demographics. Not including rural voters in the Nothern English sample is clearly going to skew the comparison as Tories are significantly stronger in these areas, across all regions of the UK.

Misleading in what way?

I wasn't trying to say one area or country is more anti-tory than another. 

Merely pointing out that large swathes of England are just as anti-tory, if not more so, than Scotland and that those areas haven't got the government they voted for

You made a comparison saying that Scotland had more tory votes despite less voters. The implication was Scotland was more favourable to the Tory party. Whether that was intentional or not, that's how it read. If all you were doing was point out that other areas were also anti Tory, there was no need to provide the misleading comparison with Scotland because it stands on its own.

I'd agree and like to see it changed to PR

It's still democracy though just arrived at in a different way...i don't really see how you can claim otherwise

The Tories are heavily under-represented in Scotland using FPTP and would do a lot better under PR

I really don't think PR is the solution for parliamentary systems. You'll either get instability, some minority rump party holding the balance of power and thus too much influence, or an autocratic coalition. 

The real problem at least here in Canada has been the growth of the executive PM through the PMO (Prime Minister's Office). MP's have virtually no power to make cabinet accountable and because the PM controls who can run for the party he/she has incredible and near autocratic power. In Canada we need reform of the system of nominating candidates and limits on the power of the PM's Office.

Harper was elected with a mere 36% of the pop vote and yet rules by virtual decree because his MP's are too scared to dissent for fear he'll refuse to sign their nomination papers. 

Michael gove has come out with the shittest argument yet. "Don't let my children's grandparents become foreigners"... Why not have you bred xenophobia into them that they will turn on their grandparents in an instant. "So granny I hear youre a fucking foreign bastard now" I know michael give was famously adopted but if I was his kid I'd be praying I was too. Cunt.

• Upvote 4

Michael gove has come out with the shittest argument yet. "Don't let my children's grandparents become foreigners"... Why not have you bred xenophobia into them that they

will turn on their grandparents in an instant. "So granny I hear youre a fucking foreign bastard now" I know michael give was famously adopted but if I was his kid I'd be praying I was too. Cunt.

The No campaign's use of the word "foreigner" says a lot about them. Narrow minded bigotry which is turning people towards voting Yes.

Your wife must have loved paying £1000 and catching the 3am flight to see you cooking yorkshire pudding in a Bulgarian kitchen!