You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Scottish Independence, yay or nay?

Baltar

The SNP are not exactly the party of the people they try and make out to be - they have made promises about reducing Corporation tax for example (arguably reasonable given the short term business uncertainty of the new state). That said, I don't think they can possibly be less progressive than the Tories in particular or the Westminster consensus in general. The UK leads the way in Europe in terms of gap between rich and poor, if that doesn't change, I genuinely think it would be political suicide.

I hope they vote yes but they won't. We will never get political reform until people step outside the fear created by the status quo. Corporations and banks telling us how shit it will be unless we tow the line. Well fuck them. Vote yes Scotland be the guinea pig so if it fails I can say well thankfuck they jumped in first silly sausages I'm off to asda.

• Upvote 1

I'm most annoyed about the fact that Andy Murray won't be representing Britain anymore in the Olympic's, which is a guaranteed medal in the singles and mixed doubles, also Eilidh Child won't be able to run 400m hurdles for Britain either, it's a no from me for that reason. What's Laura Robson going to do, has Scotland thought about that?

And have that pile of shite as a national anthem?

Where's the forward looking, fairer society in all that Braveheart bollocks?

Agreed, it's a morose dirge about a battle that took place 700 years ago. Something more modern required, I'd go with the obvious choice of 'George Square Thatcher Death Party' by Mogwai.

Kinda hope they will vote yes but reckon the majority will choke when it comes down to it.

The cynical campaign by the traditional parties to frighten people will likely work - it's why the populace of the UK has gone along with spending on nuclear arms, wars, terror alerts, austerity, selling of of public assets to rich private profiteers etc etc etc.

Ultimately, they know the have the tools to frighten the public into acquiescence.  They've come very late to the party, because they mistakenly thought they'd squeezed the last spark of independent and critical thought out of the Scottish population decades ago.  But now they're here, with all the heavy weaponry and dirty tricks at their disposal.  

The cynical campaign by the traditional parties to frighten people will likely work - it's why the populace of the UK has gone along with spending on nuclear arms, wars, terror alerts, austerity, selling of of public assets to rich private profiteers etc etc etc.

Ultimately, they know the have the tools to frighten the public into acquiescence.  They've come very late to the party, because they mistakenly thought they'd squeezed the last spark of independent and critical thought out of the Scottish population decades ago.  But now they're here, with all the heavy weaponry and dirty tricks at their disposal.

Using Jim Sillars and his 'retribution' nonsense was a crafty move

Haven't heard that yet - I'll youtube it later so I can get angry.  Grrrr.

He was on The Today programme this morning and has made front page headlines here today claiming there would be a heavy price to pay for all those companies that have come out this week against independence if there is a Yes vote. And then made matters worse by saying that he'd only said that to get publicity to air his real views. Idiot