You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

F1 2013 - Is Vettel a dick?

Baltar

It's a team sport, but the FIA haven't helped by mixing up the drivers and constructors in the same race.

But still, Vettel is an employee and should do as he's told. At some point, Vettel might genuinely need a favour from Webber... so was stupid to start antagonising his team mate so early in the season, and so needlessly.

Everybody loves a maverick, and it's all deemed as 'that special something', but just like the age old Prost vs Senna debate, the maverick is no more a better driver than the automaton.

Webber came out looking a class act. Vettel far less so.

I think what we can all agree on is that you can't trust the Germans. One minute they are pretending to be nice and the next they are being snide on the track then before you know it they are all frog marching through your city and invading your homes.

Of course it is.

Its not. Just because the constructors run 2 cars it doesn't make it a team sport. Each individual driver wants to win each race. And are givin an individual points tally. You honestly think they'd be happier with a second and third than finishing 1st themselves? Each to their own opinion obviously, and their 'team' acheivements, IMO are secondary. Race to win and whatever team has the most points at the end wins. Drivers should always be out to push the limits as much as possible.

Guest ShoePiss
Its not. Just because the constructors run 2 cars it doesn't make it a team sport. Each individual driver wants to win each race. And are givin an individual points tally. You honestly think they'd be happier with a second and third than finishing 1st themselves? Each to their own opinion obviously, and their 'team' acheivements, IMO are secondary. Race to win and whatever team has the most points at the end wins. Drivers should always be out to push the limits as much as possible.

It is and team orders (as has been mentioned already) have been a part of the sport for decades. It's nothing new for a driver to follow race position orders. Whether the drivers like it or not is neither here nor there.

Mixed bag that one. The constructors are the ones bringing in the money, they are paying the drivers.

I would argue though, that even if a team doesn't win the constructors championship, being the 'team' behind the winner is vitally important. If someone wins in a Red Bull, who cares if Red Bull won the constructors? you still associate Red Bull as winners when a driver is on the podium (but that's just my opinion)... If you're Vodafone, you probably don't care about the constructors, as long as you're the sponsor of the winner... but if you're Mercedes and it's your engine, then being the winning constructor is important.

All the same though, he joins a team, and is contracted to follow orders. He is not in a position to know the big picture during a race, and the team might be giving orders for complex reasons. You have to trust the man in the car to do as told, otherwise, he's a liability.

I disagree with racing to win though... sounds right in theory, but in practice, racing to win can lose you the championship. Racing to secure points (not the same thing) is sometimes the smarter move. Why blow up your engine going all out when you can make sure of a finish and points by doing as you're told?

Also, a lot of races are won thanks to the work of the other driver... that's where the problems start. When Webber and Vettel are next on the front of the grid and Vettel NEEDS Webber to take a certain line to stop others, what then?

Like I say, FIA have themselves to blame for making a driver AND constructor race - conflict of interest really.

There is no relevance discussing whether team orders should dictate the outcome of a race. The question is whether Vettel is a dick.

It's quite clear that every relevant person - including Vettel himself - is under no doubt that what he did in KL showed him as a prime dick. And it's far from the first time.

He may currently be a contrite dick, he may well come across as a nice dick, but a dick he most certainly is.

There is no relevance discussing whether team orders should dictate the outcome of a race. The question is whether Vettel is a dick.

It's quite clear that every relevant person - including Vettel himself - is under no doubt that what he did in KL showed him as a prime dick. And it's far from the first time.

He may currently be a contrite dick, he may well come across as a nice dick, but a dick he most certainly is.

True...but all women love a dick....

Nicely put.

Unless I'm missing something obvious team orders are illegal, hence the code that came over the radio.

I couldn't give a fuck which two drivers were involved, fans who spent an obscene amount of money went to see racing. That's what they got.

Formula 1® - The Official F1® Website

FIA confirms 2011 regulations, team orders allowed 10 Dec 2010

Following 2010’s final meeting of its World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) in Monaco on Friday, Formula One racing’s governing body, the FIA, has outlined regulation changes that will come into force over the next three seasons.

Among the major revisions for next season are the removal of the ban on team orders, the introduction of driver-adjustable rear wings, the effective outlawing of double diffusers, stricter bodywork deflection tests and a requirement for gearboxes to last five rather than four Grand Prix weekends. The 2011 regulations are expected to be published by the FIA in their entirety soon.

Team orders are allowed.

Vettel is a dick. He is paid to do a job for his team. His teams priority is the constructors championship. People may think it is boring and might not like it but that is not the point.

F1 is starting to become a bit dull again with Vettel dominating in Schumacher type fashion in another unbeatable Adrian Newey designed car. I think Alonso is probably the best driver, Hamilton and Raikonnen both know how to race and win, but it's all a bit futile in the knowledge that Red Bull have the car to deliver another championship for Vettel. I think it's bad for the spectator when the same driver and car dominate year in, year out. We get about one race in five that actually provides any actual excitement and they more often than not involve rain.

As for the team orders thing, it's not as if it would have cost Vettel his likely procession to another championship if he had asceeded to Webber yesterday and he could have then maybe called in a favour later in the season when he may have actually needed it. I thought it was a shitty thing to do, Webber seems a decent lad for an Aussie.

Agreed, I'm bored piss solid with F1 at the moment. Red Bull are way out there and Vettel is a good enough drive to win the title year in year out. Would love to see genuine competition between him, Alonso, Hamilton and Raikonnen but the cars are way behind at the moment.

As for Vettel thought it was out of order...but...he's world champ for a reason and these guys never tend to worry about a popularity contest and who can be the nicest team mate.

You're looking at a "sport" run by an 80 year old dwarf, and the "athletes" are just a bit younger dwarfs. Then you have an obnoxious gemerman uberdwarf who thinks he's untouchable. The only interesting personality is Raikkonen, the rest of them robots..

whats the point in the drivers championship then?

its all bollocks. fair play to vettel. its a winning mentality.

A winning mentality would be rejecting the team orders clearly over the radio so everyone was in no doubt and racing the other fella. Saying nothing and letting the other driver wind his engine down before going on the attack is the work of a snide. And that's coming from someone who likes Vettel.

I love F1 and I'm not surprised by Vettels actions, he's an absolute dickhead. He's a very good driver don't get me wrong, yet he's not in the same league as Hamilton or Alonso when it comes to naturally gifted drivers.

What he did yesterday was bang out of order and a glimpse of his true colours.

Here's another spectacular fuck up that he caused with Webber in Turkey in 2010.

[YOUTUBE]kkXYROv1RPs[/YOUTUBE]

A winning mentality would be rejecting the team orders clearly over the radio so everyone was in no doubt and racing the other fella. Saying nothing and letting the other driver wind his engine down before going on the attack is the work of a snide. And that's coming from someone who likes Vettel.

agreed. but also funny. schumacher is the greatest ever IMO and he was a snidey german cunt as well. i dont like vettell but hopefully this will slow down the teams making these fucking stupid rules. if it's gonna be a team sport then scrap the drivers championship.

what if vettell did stay behind him and webber went on to win the championship by a point????

its a fucking load of shit.

agreed. but also funny. schumacher is the greatest ever IMO and he was a snidey german cunt as well. i dont like vettell but hopefully this will slow down the teams making these fucking stupid rules. if it's gonna be a team sport then scrap the drivers championship.

what if vettell did stay behind him and webber went on to win the championship by a point????

He was indeed, and yet I really like him too.

I think all this is starting to say more about me then Vettel.....

Good shout but Senna for me was the greatest.

I thought team orders were banned, and I'm surprised at how blatant they're used by teams at present. This whole incident has put me off F1 to be honest, not into it if all drivers aren't racing.

Vettel's world titles have been devalued for me, I thought he won them because he was the best but now I'm not so sure. Maybe he won them because other drivers were held back?

Don't think I'll be watching anymore.