You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Well cheers for the info lads. There's obviously more to this than I thought.

It doesn't have to be zig.

Same with lots of things, I suppose it depends how far you want to go.

If you can quit the nicotine without to much problem then good for you.

Edited by CaramaC

I quit through The Allen Carr method about 18 months ago. Not touched one since, no chance I'd ever go back.

Having gone through that method and effectively cold turkey, you realise that replacement in any sense is just prolonging the suffering. It seems obvious, but when smoking or addicted to nicotine its easy to lose perspective of that or be defensive. Mate of mine quit when his little boy was born, he was on the spray, stayed on it for 12 months, he said it was like crack, you could see him still suffering while I was home free having quit six months after him.

A few girls in work have replaced the ciggies for leccy fags. Its a bit wierd seeing one of them puff away in the office, but she seems to be constantly on it. The other really has cut back so pretty much only when she's drinking, the other seems to go back to fags when pissed.

But all in all, I suppose this is preferable to biftas, so good luck however you get there.

I quit through The Allen Carr method about 18 months ago. Not touched one since, no chance I'd ever go back.

Having gone through that method and effectively cold turkey, you realise that replacement in any sense is just prolonging the suffering. It seems obvious, but when smoking or addicted to nicotine its easy to lose perspective of that or be defensive. Mate of mine quit when his little boy was born, he was on the spray, stayed on it for 12 months, he said it was like crack, you could see him still suffering while I was home free having quit six months after him.

I don't know if there is anything special about that method mate, but I quit cold turkey for three years in the past and then again for a year, and I said I'd never go back both times.

The most dangerous time is when you think you've got it so well beat that one won't matter, and if you've been a smoker for any length of time there will always be a day when you are vulnerable.

I don't know if there is anything special about that method mate, but I quit cold turkey for three years in the past and then again for a year, and I said I'd never go back both times.

The most dangerous time is when you think you've got it so well beat that one won't matter, and if you've been a smoker for any length of time there will always be a day when you are vulnerable.

Nah mate, I have done that before too. This time its different to others, for a start its been three times as long as any other cessation, but this time its also certain. I don't have a doubt, not a shred.

I know there is no such thing as another. I have accepted that I will never smoke again. I mourned for it, got over it and I've quit because I never want another.

I felt so shit smoking for 5 years after my Ma died of smoking related cancer and brain tumour, that I have totally zero desire to even have a smell across a room nevermind a toke.

As I say I understand people taking up the e-cig option, in a different time and place I might have give it a pop. But the Allen Carr worked for me, its not a method that is particulalrly clever, there is some mild self hypnosis, but mostly its just persuading you what most rational intellegent adults know, there is nothing worthwhile about it and it kills you. Simple as that.

Yeah, it's no different to both times I've given up long term then! Don't want to belittle your efforts though mate, and I wish you all the best with it.

No worries. I haven't fully explained either.

Every other time (twice actually, 1 x 6 months, 1 x 3 months) I always missed it, and was looking for an excuse to start. I can hand on heart say its different.

I know you're not belittling my efforts. While we have conversed on here for years always amicably, but we don't know each other, so I wouldn't take it personally either and I hope you would think I'm lecturing you or belittling your efforts.

But the key difference for Me is that I'm not making an effort or making a sacrifice. I have no nicotine left in me or desire to smoke. While you think you have to try or battle, it will be a battle for you. As a smoker I used to say similar things to people who'd quit, sometimes in the hope I wouldn't be the last one left smoking or it would validate my own smoking.

I feel confident that I can bump this thread in five years or even more years and still won't haven't smoked. I'll set a reminder (provided I don't lose the reminder), I'm not proud, if I fuck up I'll still do it and own up.

No one does know the long term effect of these yet though do they?

I'm gonna give it a go after this coming weekend I think. So sick of giving up, starting, giving up again.

And would rather be around for my kids as long as possible.

I'm not a doctor obviously but I've done a lot of reading on this before deciding to invest in an e-cig kit. As I mentioned before, I can survive on nicotine gum but when I've had a few drinks I need to *smoke* something. Much like nicotine gum, e-cigs are a nicotine delivery system which are supposed to have the enjoyable aspects of smoking (yeah, I know.. there ain't many with real bifters), the tickle on your throat, the instant nicotine hit etc.

Unless there is something in the flavourings that come with the liquid nicotine, I can't see it doing much harm. Nowhere near as much as the 3000+ chemicals you get from burning an real cig anyway.

I can imagine the cigarette companies are starting to worry about this new fad of smokeless cigarettes and will do everything possible to try and sabotage them.

Hoping my kit comes today but more likely tomorrow because I'm on the gum and it is really boring.

fella in our work smokes one in the office. I only started a few weeks ago and he sits over to my right, a bit in-front of me but facing the opposite way to me. he is a quiet fella, maybe about 40. he has one eye bigger than the other and. anyway he has about 2 or 3 tokes at a time and i swear every time he does it, his fucking big eye clocks me. he also smokes it out the side of his mouth and lifts his head back every time. he is the only cunt i haven't spoke to in the office. everytime i can see him out the corner of my eye leaning back smoking and i look at him and his eye is clocking me. no laugh just widens his mouth for a go then rocks back forward and looks away.

it is fucking comical.

Given up now since the end of November, used to smoke 20 a day. Im the same as R J fan club though as i just dont want to smoke anymore.

Last time i gave up for 18 months but still fancied a cig, now i actually despise the things and thats the way you have to look at them if you want to give up.

You wont give up if you actually dont want to stop but are doing it because of pressure.

Never used the e cigs, because i think your just fooling yourself. Your still doing the same arm action and trying to inhale.

Used the Niquitin clear patches both times i have given up and they are brilliant.

Just dont leave them on when you go to sleep or you will have mad dreams.

I stopped smoking real ciggies about a year ago , go to a boxing club to stay fit & motivated but do feel like smoking when I am pissed and therefore have the 10 motives throw away from Tesco, its better than smoking real cigs as they just contain nicotine on its own without the cancerous chemicals but I find it is still harsh on the throat

Given up now since the end of November, used to smoke 20 a day. Im the same as R J fan club though as i just dont want to smoke anymore.

Last time i gave up for 18 months but still fancied a cig, now i actually despise the things and thats the way you have to look at them if you want to give up.

You wont give up if you actually dont want to stop but are doing it because of pressure.

Just on this point again I don't really care if anyone believes me or not, but I despised ciggies so much after giving them up last time that I would cross the road to avoid inhaling smoke from someone at a bus stop.

Unfortunately a mixture of stress and a bereavement put me in a place where I didn't give a fuck how shit they were.

I'm not "say[ing ...] things to people who'd quit, [...] in the hope I wouldn't be the last one left smoking or it would validate my own smoking". I don't need to justify it; it happened. Only thing I am trying to do is warn you never to think you've got it beaten

Second day without ciggies now, and I have used the e-ciggie less than half the amount I did yesterday. Thinking I should hopefully be off it by the end of the week.

Take it the "what's the fucking point" tag is from someone who has never been addicted to anything. There is no fucking point.

I stopped smoking real ciggies about a year ago , go to a boxing club to stay fit & motivated but do feel like smoking when I am pissed and therefore have the 10 motives throw away from Tesco, its better than smoking real cigs as they just contain nicotine on its own without the cancerous chemicals but I find it is still harsh on the throat

i only really smoke when im pissed but i enjoy it too such to quit. anyway, smoking when drunk doesn't count.

Just on this point again I don't really care if anyone believes me or not, but I despised ciggies so much after giving them up last time that I would cross the road to avoid inhaling smoke from someone at a bus stop.

Unfortunately a mixture of stress and a bereavement put me in a place where I didn't give a fuck how shit they were.

I'm not "say[ing ...] things to people who'd quit, [...] in the hope I wouldn't be the last one left smoking or it would validate my own smoking". I don't need to justify it; it happened. Only thing I am trying to do is warn you never to think you've got it beaten

Second day without ciggies now, and I have used the e-ciggie less than half the amount I did yesterday. Thinking I should hopefully be off it by the end of the week.

Take it the "what's the fucking point" tag is from someone who has never been addicted to anything. There is no fucking point.

You may well have a point with a life changing event or such like. But i cant see myself starting again unless it was something like that.

Learnt my lesson from starting again when id packed up for 18 months as well.

I gave up last May and feel as RJFC described but, knowing this time was the last, that it was absolutely final, made it horrendous. I think Zig's philosophy of never taking it for granted, remembering you're an addict who just hasn't smoked for a while, is the only way to be sure.

Best of luck to those of you that are giving up. The withdrawal feelings come less and less frequently and only last 10 or 20 minutes. Ride each one at a time, keep saying no, and gradually you'll forget you were having them. I heard the markers were 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months and then 3 years. Aim for one at a time as little goals are easier to achieve. Celebrate each one, just not with a snout.

Best of luck to those of you that are giving up. The withdrawal feelings come less and less frequently and only last 10 or 20 minutes. Ride each one at a time, keep saying no, and gradually you'll forget you were having them.

Something to think about when you're feeling a craving is that it's nowhere near as bad as a toothache. Another thing which has helped me give up in the past is to visualise a stinking ashtray or coughing up phlegm when you have a craving, so you're associating the feeling with all the stuff you hate about smoking instead of what you like.

Got my Green Smoke e-cig kit this morning. Very pleased with it so far, got myself some strong menthol and other flavours. The kit is very well made, 2 part. Nice nicotine hit and tastes good. Bifters in the bin, I'll let you know how I get on. I'm not looking to use these as a quit tool really, I like smoking (or maybe I just like nicotine) but I don't like what it does to my body.

• 2 weeks later...

So, fellow vapers, how are you getting on with your e-biffs?

Not had an analogue biff since I got mine about 2 weeks ago. Loving it, feeling good, lungs cleared etc. Left my charger at work this weekend, unfortunately but I got two charged batteries and a direct USB unit which I can stick a cartridge on, plug it into the PC and smoke away.

Pyarrly loving it when I've had a drink and I can smoke in the pub, or in work, just feels right. I'm not actively looking to quit nicotine, so if something happened and I had to have a real cigarette, it is what it is. But when I've got these e-cigs, I don't need one. Good times.

The Green Smoke cartridges are fucking expensive so I went on some e-cig forums and they recommended just buying a stock of the cartridges and re-filling them with e-juice (liquid nicotine with flavouring). Been re-filling my carts with some lovely menthol e-juice I got from Dr Hermans on bold street.

How are you guys getting on with yours?