You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I still remember the hatred when he returned as a manc player, he came on as sub and almost went through on goal until Carra suplexed him. I've never been so wound up at a player before, it was like Gary Neville shagged my mum and killed my cat at the same time. As time has passed my anger has gone, I even wanted him to win family fortunes last week.

Mad that he never broke Bobby Charltons record. Maybe it's cursed as Linekar ended up getting bombed by a Turnip for Alan Smith. And then spent the rest of his career in Japan with a manky toe. Hopefully Rooney will catch leprosy if he ever performs at a tournament?

Coporate boyscout of a footballer from F365.

The difference is jarring. As the office TVs spew out highlights of Michael Owen goals, tributes from former teammates and texts/tweets from football fans declaring him a #legend as Owen himself gently weeps, my computer displays e-mails and comments trickling in from Football365 readers.

I hear that he is retiring to pursue a television career after his charismatic appearance on Celebrity Family Fortunes...' - Lori Peri.

The saddest thing about Owen's retirement is the inevitable appointment to the MOTD team and coverage team of the next big tournament. I can hardly wait - Alex Tristram, Gooner.

So is Tony Pulis going to head down to the local park to find a tramp to replace Michael Owen? Sitting on benches - that is what Owen does right? - Graham Simons, Gooner but with Scouse roots so hates the guy, Norf London.

Never, in the field of human history, has any contributed less to a club for so long, as Michael Owen at United - Chris MUFC.

Those four e-mails have not been selected for their vitriol or even chosen at random; those were the first four e-mails to be sent to theeditor@football365.com on Tuesday morning when the news was announced. Yes, we attract the cynical. Yes, we attract the sneery. But it's impossible to escape the notion that England's Michael Owen is little loved by England.

Owen claims that he "shook the world in his day" and yet many among you would laugh rather than nod at that boast. When former BBC man James Pearce tweeted that he was a 'gentleman, family man, role model' (and #legend, of course), the difference between the establishment and the majority of cynics on our Twitter feed became clear. Owen is a player admired by the Match of the Day 'say what you see' generation (perfect, as that his surely his destiny) but not by many beyond. He's a corporate boy scout of a footballer.

But surely everyone loves a boy scout; so why isn't Owen loved? Is it something inherent in his style of play? Pure finishers are rarely loved in the same way as creators and dribblers. And pure finishers that over-rely on pace even less so. The phrase 'he'd be nothing if he wasn't quick' is a ridiculous but familiar barb to aim at the likes of Theo Walcott. Nobody really loves Darren Bent or Jermain Defoe because they 'just score goals'. Owen 'just scores goals' and 'he'd be nothing if he wasn't quick'. It's not a combination that creates heroes.

Is it because he doesn't have a loyal band of club fans to jump to his defence? While players like Ryan Giggs, Alan Shearer and Steven Gerrard may have attracted plenty of opprobrium, they have at least one set of loyal fans who will defend them to the hilt. Leaving Liverpool did not endear him to a set of supporters who always preferred Robbie Fowler, Newcastle fans seethe at the mention of his name despite his weak attempt at an 'Howay the lads' greeting at his unveiling, Manchester United fans are largely baffled by Sir Alex Ferguson's decision to gift him three years and a title winner's medal and Stoke fans are just plain baffled.

Is it his sense of self-worth? This is the man who endorsed a 32-page brochure advertising his own talents, dismissed any notion that he could possibly follow Ian Wright and Andy Cole in playing lower down the football leagues, picked three of his own goals as his best memories of three years at United and said he'd "given up trying to understand" Fabio Capello's decision not to recall him for England when he barely playing, never mind scoring, for United. He shook the world in his day, you know.

Is it his sheer dullness? A sample tweet from @themichaelowen reads 'The Masters Snooker Final is on today. In between football matches I will defo channel hop to watch a bit. I love a bit of snooker!'. But of course we knew that already as he had a snooker table flown out to Madrid. You should also know that Owen does not watch films because they're 'not real'. When the FA say they hope Owen 'can share his experience with our younger players in the future', you can't help feeling sorry for those younger footballers.

Bizarrely, it quite often seems to be his injuries - the one thing which is surely beyond his control. This culminated in Stoke boss Tony Pulis' admission in December that he was injured by a cold draught in the gym. He has not played 90 minutes of a Premier League game since November 2009. We do tend to have little sympathy for the afflicted - Darren Anderton, Emile Heskey and Abou Diaby among those mocked for their fragility - but perhaps the equation is more about injury + big wages + self-worth = disdain.

Whatever the reason, there are few people not wearing suits who will mourn the official end of Owen's career, whatever they try to tell us on Sky Sports News.

If that is how you treat one of our finest players, heaven help the rest.

I don't know why you're defending Owen. He reckons you're a proper cunt. In fact he tweeted it, I copied and pasted it below.

"Michael Owen @themichaelowen

That Xerxes is a fucking cunt. And he might touch kids, I've seen no evidence to the contrary."

I still remember the hatred when he returned as a manc player, he came on as sub and almost went through on goal until Carra suplexed him. I've never been so wound up at a player before, it was like Gary Neville shagged my mum and killed my cat at the same time. As time has passed my anger has gone, I even wanted him to win family fortunes last week.

Mad that he never broke Bobby Charltons record. Maybe it's cursed as Linekar ended up getting bombed by a Turnip for Alan Smith. And then spent the rest of his career in Japan with a manky toe. Hopefully Rooney will catch leprosy if he ever performs at a tournament?

You do realise that it was The Sun that called Graham Taylor a "turnip"? Taylor was/is a good footman man and whilst he was obviously crap for England, he didn't deserve the shite that rag gave him.

Or maybe you don't?

Some love faux outrage. He served the club with distinction for eight years, winning six trophies when he was with us. He is a pro footballer, not a fan. As we looked increasingly unlikely to be title challengers he took the opportunity to play for another one of the world's great clubs, we got a fee and a player in return.

The pain was not his conduct, it was our realisation that we could no longer retain our best players, the CL win was nonetheless sweet. Injury blighted his career thereafter, does him subsquently being a bit part player for man u really bother you? I barely noticed.

In recent years, as success has thinned, some have assumed a bitter churlish attitude to fine past servants of the club- as Owen was.

It hurt when he left- but that does not mean that i don't appreciate, and remember the good times.

Imagine dating a really tasty lass. You have a great relationship and you have been together since you were both kids. She is gorgeous and wonderful. A long and fulfilling relation with great sex.

Then you find her banging three of the people you hate most in the world.

Would you think about the good times and have fond feelings about her? Or would you think mostly about the betrayal and hope that she gets leprosy

You forgot about his come and get me plea to us while at Madrid.

Everything done and dusted until the barcodes put in a riddiculous bid for him and stupid wages.

He is a mercinary cunt who put country above club from the day he got his first cap.

I hear that, but was it not more the case that Madrid were playing hard ball and wanted to sell Owen to the highest bidder. Owen could've dug his heels in and refused to join the barcodes but then Sven had said only those playing each week would be considered for the 2006 WC and Owen shat his little panties at the thought of not going. Which was why he was sobbing down the phone to Carra when Rafa never came back in for him on deadline night. He was desperate to come back here, but he valued his England place more. Same as it ever was.

I have absolutely no problems with Owen and cerainly not a single one with him having played for the mancs three clubs later than when he left us seeing as he wanted to come back but Rafa was not interested and his only other option was Hull.

• Upvote 1

I have absolutely no problems with Owen and cerainly not a single one with him having played for the mancs three clubs later than when he left us seeing as he wanted to come back but Rafa was not interested and his only other option was Hull.

Erm, except Rafa was interested but got snubbed for fucking Newcastle.

Why the fuck would we or anybody with any sense want him when he went to the mancs - the fact that his only other option was fucking HULL says it all. But you go ahead and bash Rafa, you nobhead.

michael owen ‏@themichaelowen

@DietmarHamann Won't get roped in just yet but the facts will come out soon. So many people are so far wrong about what actually happened.

Why do i have the feeling he is going to the lay it on Rafa. Even though he turned his back on Rafa without giving him a chance.

And the fact hewas proved right not to break the bank to get him back considering his injury record and bench duty at subsequent clubs.

Personally I hav e no idea how Stoke could justify giving him a contract and seeing he has played 63 minutes of PL football this season I doubt clubs were knocking down his door so I guess he ahd no other options than to announce his retirement even if he in reality retired a few seasons ago and have just tried to keep himself fit getting paid for the pleasure the last few years.