You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Smart tv's

Briefly reading up on the pi, it seems that there's a multitude of add ons you need. So, not just the pi itself, but then Sd cards to run xbmc and another for the usual operating system, and then you'll need a case, and then before you know it this 40£ deal turns into £100.

Or, this, which gives you a HD Telly, and built in DVD player, and a USB drive, and is also a Smart tv....

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Browse?storeId=10151&langId=110&catalogId=10001&mRR=true&c_1=1%7Ccategory_root%7CTechnology%7C33006169&c_2=2%7C33006169%7CTelevisions+and+accessories%7C33008651&c_3=3%7Ccat_33008651%7CTelevisions%7C33017148&r_001=7%7CType%7CDVD+combi%7C1&r_002=8%7CSmart+TV%7CYes%7C1#pdpFullProductInformation

The Pi should be about 40 quid all in and will give far more choice. You can probably use your TV remote for it as well.

Try Farnell for the Pi. You will also need a case and power supply from them and  wifi unless you can plug straight in.

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/bespoke/bespoke7.jsp?bespokepage=cpc/en_CC/makerspace/raspberrypi.html&CMP=HP_RPi

You will also need a USB 3.0 stick such as this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-JetFlash-Flash-Drive-TS8GJF700/dp/B004HC5IPE

Also you will need an HDMI cable and an SD card (anything over a half GB should work it does not need to be fast)

Watch the install openelec guide on here and then the overclock one for setup

http://www.totalxbmc.tv/newsite/hardware-raspberry-pi/

A USB mouse might be handy when you first use it to see what the IP address is.

I bought a Smart TV a while back but never use the Smart aspect of it because you can get miles better elsewhere. I have a jailbroken Apple TV which gives me access to pretty much anything I want on demand.

And Sky have the the catch-up apps built into their boxes these days so the whole Smart thing is pretty much pointless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 6 years later...

I've just upgraded/changed my Tv from a LG to Panasonic. Plugged my android box in which opened up as it usually would, but when I use the mouse there's no cursor. If I move the mouse up, the screen just starts to fill with a solid block. The more I move the mouse upwards the bigger the block is. Move the mouse downward and the block shrinks  The remote that came with the android box is also not working as it should when I choose cursor option.

If you can understand my attempt at describing the problem, any advice on what the issue is ??

11 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

I've just upgraded/changed my Tv from a LG to Panasonic. Plugged my android box in which opened up as it usually would, but when I use the mouse there's no cursor. If I move the mouse up, the screen just starts to fill with a solid block. The more I move the mouse upwards the bigger the block is. Move the mouse downward and the block shrinks  The remote that came with the android box is also not working as it should when I choose cursor option.

If you can understand my attempt at describing the problem, any advice on what the issue is ??

Does it work okay when the you watch normal TV or iPlayer etc?

2 minutes ago, Elite said:

Might be worth trying other apps to see if it's the TV that's the problem.

iPlayer, More 4, etc should be built in and are free anyway.

Tried that. Fuck all happens. Nothing at all. When I plugged in the wireless USB thing, a message popped up saying something about an external keyboard.

28 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

I love LG TVs. I hate Panasonic TVs. This advice would solve many of your problems.

I've just looked on Panasonic's site and it says this.

As long as you use a USB plug-and-play keyboard or mouse that does not require any software (no driver requirements), then you should be able to use it with the TV. Please check with your device's manufacturer for confirmation.

What's a plug and play device ?

Just now, Dougie Do'ins said:

I've just looked on Panasonic's site and it says this.

What's a plug and play device ?

Plug and play means literally as soon as you plug it in, the TV detects it and it can be used. Therefore it must be compatible for it to be plug and play.

2 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

I love LG TVs. I hate Panasonic TVs. This advice would solve many of your problems.

I'm the opposite. My previous TV to the LG was a Panasonic. It was great as I could use the same remote for the TV and the DVR. Once I went LG TV and Panasonic DVR, it was like they were having a personality clash.

3 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

I'm the opposite. My previous TV to the LG was a Panasonic. It was great as I could use the same remote for the TV and the DVR. Once I went LG TV and Panasonic DVR, it was like they were having a personality clash.

If a remote is the highest priority you should pick up a Harmony remote control as they can be programmed for multiple devices separately and I'm now looking into trying to link it up with an Amazon Echo smart control device as I hear that it's possible to voice control them.

Samsung and LG tend to come out on top of most TV reviews, being pioneers in the hardware and software required to make the best TVs. I believe a lot of the TV manufacturing companies actually use LG tech to produce their screens.

• 3 months later...

Turned out the problems I was having was the mouse I was using. Got myself a plug and play mouse & keyboard and the problem is solved.

Moving swiftly on.

I was getting pissed of with continually having to retune the LG TV. I always suspected the LG TV was clashing with the Panasonic DVR so I've recently bought myself a new Panasonic smart TV and as if by magic, all the problems have gone.

It's probably a mid range TV but it does what I need. Having built in apps such as I Player and all the other on demand TV apps is just what I wanted. Which brings me onto my next request for help.

How can I stream from my phone to TV. For example, I'm watching the footy on BT sport app on my phone but want to stream it to my TV. I've downloaded the Panasonic TV remote 2 app but can't work out how mirror what I'm watching on the phone to the TV.

3 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Turned out the problems I was having was the mouse I was using. Got myself a plug and play mouse & keyboard and the problem is solved.

Moving swiftly on.

I was getting pissed of with continually having to retune the LG TV. I always suspected the LG TV was clashing with the Panasonic DVR so I've recently bought myself a new Panasonic smart TV and as if by magic, all the problems have gone.

It's probably a mid range TV but it does what I need. Having built in apps such as I Player and all the other on demand TV apps is just what I wanted. Which brings me onto my next request for help.

How can I stream from my phone to TV. For example, I'm watching the footy on BT sport app on my phone but want to stream it to my TV. I've downloaded the Panasonic TV remote 2 app but can't work out how mirror what I'm watching on the phone to the TV.

BT sport needs Google chromecast. Little thing that sticks in USB port 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Moving swiftly on.

Pretty sure you’ve got an Android box haven’t you, mate? You can install the BT Sport and Sky Sports apps on there, which will save you forking out for a Chromecast.