You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Smart tv's

I'm thinking of upgrading my TV. My current tv is connected up to a WDTV Live & a Raspberry Pi, i'm gonna move this setup to the bedroom. I have a budget of 1500, although obviously would like it to be a lot cheaper. I want a 60in. Most of the tv's ive looked at have been Smart Tv & 3d. I'm not arsed with the 3d at all. However, for people who have a Smart TV, is it worth having? Or shall i save me some money & just get a Standard Tv & buy another WDTV Live? Apart from Netflix what are the pros of Smart tv's? And will they stream media from my PC?

I'm thinking of upgrading my TV. My current tv is connected up to a WDTV Live & a Raspberry Pi, i'm gonna move this setup to the bedroom. I have a budget of 1500, although obviously would like it to be a lot cheaper. I want a 60in. Most of the tv's ive looked at have been Smart Tv & 3d. I'm not arsed with the 3d at all. However, for people who have a Smart TV, is it worth having? Or shall i save me some money & just get a Standard Tv & buy another WDTV Live? Apart from Netflix what are the pros of Smart tv's? And will they stream media from my PC?

I have a Sammy 32 Plasma with a WDHD TV Smart Box.

Fuck that Smart TV shite mate. I'm sorted.

I think if you want a 60" set you don't have a massive selection, I think panasonic and samsung both do 60" plasmas. Sharp do an LCD 60" which was in costco for about £900, LG also do 60" plasma.

I've got smart hub on my 51" samsung and its shite, really slow and unresponsive so I use my xbox for catch up. It doesn't even have a spotify app which really pisses me off.

This is what I was going to purchase:

Samsung PS60E6500 review | Plasma and lcd tvs Reviews | TechRadar

I think they do a cheaper version without the 3d etc which is closer to £1k. Although as far as I'm aware the 2013 samsung range is out and I think they no longer do the 60" sets (i might be wrong on that)

Please don't buy a Smart TV. It is the biggest waste of money i've ever seen.

Buy a good TV and hook a Mac Mini up to it, it will probably cost you the same but be infinitely better.

Got to agree with this.

Firstly make sure you buy a good TV, ignore the SmartTV function just make the priority getting a good picture etc.

Either hook up AppleTV or MiniX and you have all the functions of a smarttv but even more because you can then stick XBMC onto the box under the TV enabling you to stream all the latest movies, football streams and music for all around the world.

Got to agree with this.

Firstly make sure you buy a good TV, ignore the SmartTV function just make the priority getting a good picture etc.

Either hook up AppleTV or MiniX and you have all the functions of a smarttv but even more because you can then stick XBMC onto the box under the TV enabling you to stream all the latest movies, football streams and music for all around the world.

Giving you a virtual hi-five because that is exactly what i've done (and hopefully its what you've done too). XMBC really is amazing - I am dumfounded by the quality of the stuff I stream is.

Giving you a virtual hi-five because that is exactly what i've done (and hopefully its what you've done too). XMBC really is amazing - I am dumfounded by the quality of the stuff I stream is.

It's the route i would have taken but got given a laptop so stuck that under instead.

Stuck XMBC on it and never looked back.

All the football courtesy of SportsDevil plus then all the movies/tv shows you could want courtesy of IceFilms, ProjectFreeTV, JustinTV to name but a few.

Then you have the music streaming ability courtesy of DigitiallyImported, Vevo.

With it being a laptop though it means i can browse the internet easily using Google Chrome plus missus gets to go on her bloody Facebook games.

Anyone paying for Netflix, Lovefilm etc are crazy because buy yourself an AppleTV or MiniX Neo and whack XBMC on it, far far better.

It's the route i would have taken but got given a laptop so stuck that under instead.

All the football courtesy of SportsDevil plus then all the movies/tv shows you could want courtesy of IceFilms, ProjectFreeTV, JustinTV to name but a few.

With it being a laptop though it means i can browse the internet easily using Google Chrome plus missus gets to go on her bloody Facebook games.

Anyone paying for Netflix, Lovefilm etc are crazy because buy yourself an AppleTV or MiniX Neo and whack XBMC on it, far far better.

I bought the latest apple TV in anticipation of a crack but it still hasnt been jailbroken. Never heard of a minix before, just looks like a standalone android device to me. Can you recommend a specific one? I'm interested in steaming from my nas drive, running spotify etc.

Ah, I see. So how are you controlling your laptop? Mouse and keyboard I assume? If you haven't already, you should invest in something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Wireless-Rii-Keyboard-Touchpad/dp/B004KFFQ5K

It will make the navigation so much easier and just seem like another remote.

Agree re: the rest. Its incredible how few people use this, too. You also get the ability to seamlessly view pictures and stuff on your tv (if you like that boring shite).

I bought the latest apple TV in anticipation of a crack but it still hasnt been jailbroken. Never heard of a minix before, just looks like a standalone android device to me. Can you recommend a specific one? I'm interested in steaming from my nas drive, running spotify etc.

We were speaking about Mac Mini mate not the Apple TV. The latter is still great for XBMC, unless you have the new one like yourself. I'm surprised it still hasn't been jailbroken to be honest.

I thought they had cracked the AppleTV, know there was a thread about it.

Presume that turned out to be a false dawn.

The MiniX Neo is basically an android device but the clever bods have released different roms for it and have managed to get XBMC running.

I don't know if that is via the SD card or actually flashed onto the box itself.

Ah, I see. So how are you controlling your laptop? Mouse and keyboard I assume? If you haven't already, you should invest in something like this:

Bluetooth Wireless Rii Mini PC Keyboard Touchpad Laser Pointer Ver 2 Black for PC, HTPC, MAC, Apple IPad, Google Android, Nokia Symbian S60, Sony PS3, Nintendo Wii (touchpad does not work with iPad or mobile phone): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessor

It will make the navigation so much easier and just seem like another remote.

Agree re: the rest. Its incredible how few people use this, too. You also get the ability to seamlessly view pictures and stuff on your tv (if you like that boring shite).

Yeah i have a wireless keyboard/mouse for controlling the laptop so the only time i need the lid up is to actually turn it on.

I keep meaning to set up the XBMC remote on my phone so when I'm using that i don't need to bother with the mouse.

I know people have used Raspberry Pi to put XBMC on which is a cheap way of doing it but i would be afraid of it not having the power to run correctly but that might be something to look into as a method of doing it cheaply.

thanks for the help guys, I was looking at the raspberry pi but cant be arsed with all the fiddling. It would end up consuming me for a few months trying to figure everything out......

As far as I'm aware the latest apple tv (version 3) still hasnt been hacked.

thanks for the help guys' date=' I was looking at the raspberry pi but cant be arsed with all the fiddling. It would end up consuming me for a few months trying to figure everything out......

As far as I'm aware the latest apple tv (version 3) still hasnt been hacked.[/quote']

Got my Pi delivered this week. Installed RaspBMC (a specific Pi version of XBMC) to a blank SD card and jobs a good un. He it up an running with no problems - plenty of guides out there for setting up. There is remote applications for iPhone,iPad and Android - no need for keyboard/mouse.

Watched a few movies already (currently watching the new Wizard of Oz movie with the kids) and started watching Breaking Bad. Have also managed to link it to my network so can stream movies and music from main pc.

Well impressed so far, as are the kids who have probably used it more than I have so far.

Yeah i have a wireless keyboard/mouse for controlling the laptop so the only time i need the lid up is to actually turn it on.

I keep meaning to set up the XBMC remote on my phone so when I'm using that i don't need to bother with the mouse.

I know people have used Raspberry Pi to put XBMC on which is a cheap way of doing it but i would be afraid of it not having the power to run correctly but that might be something to look into as a method of doing it cheaply.

Got my Pi delivered this week. Installed RaspBMC (a specific Pi version of XBMC) to a blank SD card and jobs a good un. He it up an running with no problems - plenty of guides out there for setting up. There is remote applications for iPhone,iPad and Android - no need for keyboard/mouse.

Watched a few movies already (currently watching the new Wizard of Oz movie with the kids) and started watching Breaking Bad. Have also managed to link it to my network so can stream movies and music from main pc.

Well impressed so far, as are the kids who have probably used it more than I have so far.

Does it run well GR10? As coop said above, I always thought that the Raspberry Pi may have struggled to provide the power needed. If you come back with a yes then i'll be off to buy one for my nephews birthday in two weeks. Would you mind pointing me in the direction of the instructions/files needed to install RaspBMC too, mate?

Does it run well GR10? As coop said above' date=' I always thought that the Raspberry Pi may have struggled to provide the power needed. If you come back with a yes then i'll be off to buy one for my nephews birthday in two weeks. Would you mind pointing me in the direction of the instructions/files needed to install RaspBMC too, mate?[/quote']

I'm powering mine from a spare Blackberry phone charger. Have also tried it with a mini USB cable direct from the USB port of the TV. Only had it since Wednesday so probably not enough time to identify any glitches.

A lot of info on http://www.raspbmc.com/. Download an installer from there which writes some content to your SD card. When first powered on it seems to do some self updating. Then you just need to get the addons sorted.

Has played most movies ok, direct streaming via the addons. Had the odd one where it has buffered a bit, but my Internet speed is pretty crap (4mb) so am putting that down to that.

Does it run well GR10? As coop said above, I always thought that the Raspberry Pi may have struggled to provide the power needed. If you come back with a yes then i'll be off to buy one for my nephews birthday in two weeks. Would you mind pointing me in the direction of the instructions/files needed to install RaspBMC too, mate?

We had a thread on the Pi a few months back-----

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/tnf-techy-nerd-forum/110591-raspberry-pi.html

I'm powering mine from a spare Blackberry phone charger. Have also tried it with a mini USB cable direct from the USB port of the TV. Only had it since Wednesday so probably not enough time to identify any glitches.

A lot of info on Raspbmc. Download an installer from there which writes some content to your SD card. When first powered on it seems to do some self updating. Then you just need to get the addons sorted.

Has played most movies ok, direct streaming via the addons. Had the odd one where it has buffered a bit, but my Internet speed is pretty crap (4mb) so am putting that down to that.

If you are getting buffering issues then increase the amount of ram you allow it to use.

I have the xbox 1 upstairs running XBMC and this used to buffer like mad until i increased the buffer size in the configuration.ini.

I don't know where that config file will be stored on the Raspberry but i bet there is one and increasing the buffer size will sort the problem out.

• 1 year later...