You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

Kenny summed up our problem in his column in the paper yesterday,cant find a link to it as im on my phone.

He basically said it about all English clubs but it especially applies to us at present.

Something about stopping trying to emulate Barcelona and playing to our strengths and being a bit more direct too.

If Rodgers doesnt learn to mix our play up a bit and sign the appropriate players he is sealing his own fate.

I don't think that's a fair benchmark. If we finished 6th, 2 points behind 4th would that constitute a sackable offence?

There used to be an established top 4, but now Man City and Spurs have established themselves at the top while we have at best become the 6th best team in the league, and it's probably harder than ever to get in to the top 4 now.

We can't just look at whether we get in the top four or not as it's not that black and white. If we had a real go at it and looked like we were making real progress then you can't sack the manager.

Agreed. I'm far less arsed about where we finish and even cup runs at the moment than I am about the manner of our defeats and performances, tactics etc.

Of course Rodgers deserves another year. We've already scored more goals than we did last season so the progress is quite clearly there. He just needs to tweak things a little bit and buy some good players in the summer. Why wasn't this thread started after the spurs game? We played a similar team/formation in that game. This fan base is ridiculously reactionary.

Do you not think that is more to do with Suarez then anything else not missing 9 games and being generally better this season?

We're one goal off last years total conceded and there is 8 games left

I don't think that's a fair benchmark. If we finished 6th, 2 points behind 4th would that constitute a sackable offence?

There used to be an established top 4, but now Man City and Spurs have established themselves at the top while we have at best become the 6th best team in the league, and it's probably harder than ever to get in to the top 4 now.

We can't just look at whether we get in the top four or not as it's not that black and white. If we had a real go at it and looked like we were making real progress then you can't sack the manager.

Agreed, but I don't there are many of us on here that wouldn't recognise this, if we'd been in contention for a top four finish this season but ended up finishing 6th or 7th there would still have been a recognition of genuine progress. As it is we've not even been remotely in contention for a top four all season.

Next season a minimum for me is to be a genuine competitor for one of the top four positions even if we end up falling short.

I'm still in. I've seen an improvement, a big improvement in our football which has basically been shit for 4 years or so. Kenny did improve us but unfortunately not enough and while I think he should have had another season, he didn't so its pointless raking over that decision now.

I'm not up for a so called 'name' manager I want someone who becomes our manager and I think we'll have that in Rodgers. Of course I could be wrong but I'm putting my cards on the table and thinking he will become ours. People forget how fucked we were and how much needed and still needs to be addressed and these things can't be done overnight. It's pointless nowadays debating for patience as most fans just roll game to game but It's going to take a while, probably 2 to 3 years and if you can't accept that it's just tough shit, it's the truth regardless of who the manager is.

Of course he's made mistakes and of course people should moan but some of the insults are just cuntish.

Kenny summed up our problem in his column in the paper yesterday,cant find a link to it as im on my phone.

He basically said it about all English clubs but it especially applies to us at present.

Something about stopping trying to emulate Barcelona and playing to our strengths and being a bit more direct too.

If Rodgers doesnt learn to mix our play up a bit and sign the appropriate players he is sealing his own fate.

Another similarity with roy evans. He set us up to play like the best team in europe at that time Ajax.

Sounds like yesterday was a good one to miss. Not surprised we lost but its very annoying.

I think reina could be on his way. A lad on 606 last week said he heard reina was off and Rodgers was leaving him out.

Leaving out lucas is more puzzling. Was it tactical or did he need the rest?

From What I ve heard everyone was awful though.

Rodgers definitely deserves another season. We are scoring more goals than we have in a while. OK, the midfield has holes through the middle and the defence has been more porous than usual, so it is a work in progress. We seem to have largely solved one set of problems only for another to appear. Football management is not easy!

Rodgers should be backed in the summer, and if he has the sort of window like January, in terms of signing players for needy areas of the side to make an impact right away, then we should do well next season.

I have seen enough to be cautiously hopeful. It would be folly to make another change. It would be expensive and what's to say it will be a change for the better? Hold the course and see it through!

* If at the end of two seasons and four transfer windows it is not clear that we are making sufficient progress, we should review the situation. But not now.

Agreed, but I don't there are many of us on here that wouldn't recognise this, if we'd been in contention for a top four finish this season but ended up finishing 6th or 7th there would still have been a recognition of genuine progress. As it is we've not even been remotely in contention for a top four all season.

Next season a minimum for me is to be a genuine competitor for one of the top four positions even if we end up falling short.

Firstly, I don't think there was any prospect of a top four tilt this season.

Secondly, I think we will have to buy again this summer to do so next season.

Progress this season is measured by a better league position and points total than last season.

Rodgers definitely deserves another season. We are scoring more goals than we have in a while. OK, the midfield has holes through the middle and the defence has been more porous than usual, so it is a work in progress. We seem to have largely solved one set of problems only for another to appear. Football management is not easy!

Rodgers should be backed in the summer, and if he has the sort of window like January, in terms of signing players for needy areas of the side to make an impact right away, then we should do well next season.

I have seen enough to be cautiously hopeful. It would be folly to make another change. It would be expensive and what's to say it will be a change for the better? Hold the course and see it through!

* If at the end of two seasons and four transfer windows it is not clear that we are making sufficient progress, we should review the situation. But not now.

I think that Rodgers is on a three year contract . We can't afford to keep sacking managers. For me, we need to let him see out his term. Furthermore his replacement needs to be someone in tune with our current recruitment policy. We desperately need a period of continuity. Offering Carra a place on the coaching staff may be a step in the right direction.

I think that Rodgers is on a three year contract . We can't afford to keep sacking managers. For me, we need to let him see out his term. Furthermore his replacement needs to be someone in tune with our current recruitment policy. We desperately need a period of continuity. Offering Carra a place on the coaching staff may be a step in the right direction.

I agree with this. Making change after change is expensive, and it is not always for the best. I suggested the two year marker for evaluating progress because that is a fair amount of time, but the point about continuity is very important.

Guest davelfc
I'm still in. I've seen an improvement, a big improvement in our football which has basically been shit for 4 years or so. Kenny did improve us but unfortunately not enough and while I think he should have had another season, he didn't so its pointless raking over that decision now.

Funny how I read that a lot, can we also ignore a lot of other things if we don't like them used in an arguement?

I'm not up for a so called 'name' manager I want someone who becomes our manager and I think we'll have that in Rodgers. Of course I could be wrong but I'm putting my cards on the table and thinking he will become ours. People forget how fucked we were and how much needed and still needs to be addressed and these things can't be done overnight.

There's no guarantee of success with a 'name' manager but there's less of a risk giving a serious rebuild job to an experienced man rather than an inexperienced one.

I don't think we're allowed to forget 'How fucked' we were because I keep reading about it. I don't actually buy the line as its in my opinion an excuse. That's not to say things were great.

It's pointless nowadays debating for patience as most fans just roll game to game but It's going to take a while, probably 2 to 3 years and if you can't accept that it's just tough shit, it's the truth regardless of who the manager is.

Of course he's made mistakes and of course people should moan but some of the insults are just cuntish.

I can't see Rodgers getting sacked at the end of the season, he will get at the very least another season. It is a shame Kenny couldn't have got the very thing they want us to give Rodgers. I do believe its a valid point to bring up because for me it highlights the hypocrisy of the owners. They're not bad people, they just haven't got a fucking clue.

I'm not seeing much improvement, I've absolutely no faith in Rodgers to take us forward. Under these owners he's about the best we can expect, well until someone else sells them a plan. The only thing we can expect is that we will always be expected to stump up top 4 money to watch mid table shit.

The summer should be interesting, as he's here for at least another season Rodgers can hopefully get the players he needs for his system. My fear is his system and FSGs plans equal mid table mediocrity. Fuck it what do I know, I'm more than happy to fork out £50 a throw to watch shit while others that don't tell me I'm a fickle cunt.

This season has been worse than last season and Kenny got the boot, so why does Rodgers deserve any more than that? Can't see much progress myself.

Exactly how has this season been worse? Looking at the League only, we will finish higher in the table and with more points than last season.

Shame it wasn't applied

I'm assuming this is a reference to Andy Carroll?

Kenny won us a cup and got us to two cup finals and this season its most of his signings who have improved the most.Also sealed European football too.

He,or his coaching staff,did realise that a solid defence was necessary to achieve anything so its unfair to criticise him as he was sacked for achieving more than we most likely will this season.

Kenny's point is still valid though and a reason why a DoF would have worked better IMO.

• Upvote 1

Wonder if the owners included any performance clauses in his contract. Europe is looking very far away at the moment - as are the teams ahead of us. No Europe means decreased revenue of some sort, no?

The owners must be tired of paying out severance packets - he'll get this 3 years unless they write in an escape clause.

The season has been very poor, there’s no dressing it up. If you go on precedent then he would be sacked.

The fact is that when the style of play works we look very good indeed, the way we’re set up we can stuff teams. It’s negated when it doesn’t click, too often it hasn’t and we’ve been cut open, an awful lot of teams this season have seemingly strolled through our midfield.

It happened yesterday, notwithstanding the players performance level was poor, it was glaringly obvious not long into the game Rodgers had a decision to make but he didn’t, that’s a bit worrying.

I’d give him the chance of at least another season and hopefully he’ll learn / cut down on his own mistakes and the team will become more consistent. We have definitely improved recently apart from the odd very annoying blip, hopefully those get less and less but only time will tell.

Or we can just start all over again with someone else.......and it continues.

from The Mirror.

Meanwhile Brendan Rodgers still has the air of a man who is pretending to be a football manager into his bathroom mirror while having a shave, the football equivalent of playing air guitar with a tennis racket.