You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

Fair enough I've had a look and most sources were saying his job was not under immediate danger however the owners had sacked Comolli and were saying we were terrible in the league before we went in to have a shit finish.

I am more concerned now as they did say Kenny was staying only to go on and sack him, I remembered the general feeling being Kenny was off but some clearly feel that way with Rodgers now .

To be honest, I really don't have a clue what FSG are thinking about anything right now.  I know what they're saying but there appears to be a significant disconnect between the words and the actions.

Take this whole review thing.  We're hearing that Brendan will be jetting off for a nice chat with Mike Gordon about the season, where it all went wrong and what they're going to do, but that Brendan's job is safe.

That suggets that whatever they think went wrong, it wasn't Brendan, so what was it, the transfer committee?  Mike Gordon is on the fucking transfer committee, so is Brendan going to tell him it's all his fault?  Yeah there's a message I can see being taken on board.  Didn't Rafa try that one too? I'd love to be a fly on the wall at that meeting.

Someone's getting sacked, make no mistake about it. You don't go from finishing 2nd to 5th-7th whilst spending £120m on the likes of Lovren and Markovic and walk away scott free. Either Rodgers is getting the sack, the committee are getting sacked or Ayre is getting sacked, someone's going to pay for this fuck up though.

I don't agree with those that say he has not laid down some foundations or a spine etc, he's put together a squad that can play a certain style of football and have to play with the ball on the ground.

The way we play doesn't happen overnight as we should remember from Kennys team who had no identity, it's similar to what Wenger has done and I wouldn't say Arsenal have a spine either.

• Downvote 1

I don't agree with those that say he has not laid down some foundations or a spine etc, he's put together a squad that can play a certain style of football and have to play with the ball on the ground.

The way we play doesn't happen overnight as we should remember from Kennys team who had no identity, it's similar to what Wenger has done and I wouldn't say Arsenal have a spine either.

Fair enough, describe it then and tell us what the foundation is, who is the spine, and what the certain style of play is. 

You may have - I only read the first 300 words of any post.

Only 700 words in that one, that's practically a memo by my old standards.

At least I don't go full Tomkins; there is usually a point per paragraph in my posts rather than just one in the whole thing.

The football we're playing is no better than it was from Kenny's last season.

Any team that attacks us with pace or purpose will cut us open (even Palace). Any team that defend well will stop us getting through (even West Brom or Hull)

"The way we play doesn't happen overnight". .He's had three years now. This is his team.

• Upvote 2

Someone's getting sacked, make no mistake about it. You don't go from finishing 2nd to 5th-7th whilst spending £120m on the likes of Lovren and Markovic and walk away scott free. Either Rodgers is getting the sack, the committee are getting sacked or Ayre is getting sacked, someone's going to pay for this fuck up though.

I don´t agree. I just get a steadily sinking feeling that the longer we get into their regime, the more these owners are happy to sit on their arse and do fuck all about anything. Meanwhile, they try and spin some PR bullshit about investing a lot in future talent and a long term manager and having to stay patient and wait for them to mature.

You might think may sack Brendan to try and appease the dissenting fans, but that would only make sense if they replaced him with Klopp or Ancelotti. Replacing him with Garry Monk isn´t going to appease anybody and will cost them money in the process. Meanwhile the likes of Ayre should have been sacked long ago and yet he is still here presumably because he is easy for the owners to work with even if he´s doing a crap job. 

A report on the website of Italian journalist Gianluca Di Marzio reads: Napoli’s Spanish manager had reached an agreement in principle with West Ham United for next season, but this morning scenarios changed quickly: Benitez has had a direct contact with Hammer’s chairman and he has declined the offer of the English club because… because Real Madrid is strongly interested in him. Yes.

Liverpool (which has contacted Klopp too in case they decide to change manager) and Manchester City have tried some indirect contacts, but Real is ahead in negotiations. The negotiation between the parts is advanced, the contacts are continuing: and so Rafa Benitez is Ancelotti’s successor? Real Madrid’s chairman, Florentino Perez, is seriously thinking about him, he’s ready to make a revolution after this season.

Fair enough, describe it then and tell us what the foundation is, who is the spine, and what the certain style of play is.

The foundation is having a squad with players comfortable playing that style and the style of play is pressing, keep the ball on the floor and play creative football.

When people say a spine I take it they are referring to 5 players (gk,cbs,cms) who are always starters or world class, we do have players who would be regulars but I would agree with those saying upgrades are needed, that would be the case for every team in the league apart from Chelsea though.

• Downvote 1

It worked when we had a striker and when Raheem could control the ball.

We haven't got a clue how we play, hence the endless tactical changes, the constant tinkering and playing players out of position.

A club and therefore a manager with an idea buys the players to fit his desired style of play, we found a way of playing but as soon as the player who made it tick left we were fucked.

Instead of buying players that would slot into that way of playing we bought players who couldn't and ever since then we have been scratching around trying to find a style of play and an identity, whilst trying formation after formation and players being shunted all over the place, asked to fulfill roles they aren't comfortable with or good at and in too many cases being in and out of the side, all with ever diminishing returns.

Or to put it more succinctly a clusterfuck.

• Upvote 3

The foundation is having a squad with players comfortable playing that style and the style of play is pressing, keep the ball on the floor and play creative football.

When people say a spine I take it they are referring to 5 players (gk,cbs,cms) who are always starters or world class, we do have players who would be regulars but I would agree with those saying upgrades are needed, that would be the case for every team in the league apart from Chelsea though.

I'd say the spine of a team is about players with a bit of bottle, who can be relied upon to produce the goods when the pressure is on, as well as having the talent.

The sort of shit we're missing at the moment.

We don't do any of that with the possible exception of trying to keep the ball on the ground in our end and midfield. 

Can't remember the last time we pressed as a team in any convincing way.

We haven't got a clue how we play, hence the endless tactical changes, the constant tinkering and playing players out of position.

A club and therefore a manager with an idea buys the players to fit his desired style of play, we found a way of playing but as soon as the player who made it tick left we were fucked.

Instead of buying players that would slot into that way of playing we bought players who couldn't and ever since then we have been scratching around trying to find a style of play and an identity, whilst trying formation after formation and players being shunted all over the place, asked to fulfill roles they aren't comfortable with or good at and in too many cases being in and out of the side, all with ever diminishing returns.

Or to put it more succinctly a clusterfuck.

Says it all really.

And clusterfuck is as close to what it is as any other word to describe what we are.

The scariest thing ive read of late, to be fair it was on sly, but BR saying he is keen to improve the squad!!!!!

I could improve the squad FFS, I just hope this fuckwit isnt given the chance to do anything with it, other than hand it over to somebody with a clue.

Says it all really.

And clusterfuck is as close to what it is as any other word to describe what we are.

The scariest thing ive read of late, to be fair it was on sly, but BR saying he is keen to improve the squad!!!!!

I could improve the squad FFS, I just hope this fuckwit isnt given the chance to do anything with it, other than hand it over to somebody with a clue.

I heard, well saw, worse, he used the "rebuild" word in an interview.

I heard, well saw, worse, he used the "rebuild" word in an interview.

And thats the scariest bit, if its rebuild, then wtf has he been doing since he took the job?

He has been building this "Clusterfuck" (cheers an tha) since he got here, so wtf is he planning to do next? bin the shite he built and build another pile of shite?

Anyone who thinks he should be our manager after the end of this season is retarded.

A cheap (for FSG, not the fans) non season culminating in him getting binned in 12 months.

I was thinking about this the other day - it's clear from what's coming out about the upcoming season review that regardless of whether FSG think Brendan has hit the tipping point, they clearly had higher expectations for this season than we delivered.

That surely suggests that their requirement will be that he delivers more next season.  We're (currently at least) in the Europa qualifying slot, which suggests that their requirement is a CL place.

Gerrard has gone.  Sterling looks like he's gone.  We have one class striker but he's out recovering from surgery until September.  If he came back on 5th September 2015, he will have been injured or recovering for 291 days since September 2014.  So far we know we're signing a 20 year old lad who has scored a goal every four games this season in the French league.  We might be signing Danny Ings.

We desperately need at least one top class striker, we could do with a pair really; that would likely cost us what we get for Sterling and more anyway but world class strikers are going to look at who's going to be providing the chances for them and oh dear, we just sold the player who played his best football whilst creating for the world class striker we sold last year and the one who will have been crocked for nine and a half months since September 2014.

Our central midfield is just some people, randoms.  Hendo will either step up or he won't, I have a lot more time for him than some fans do, but he's never going to take a game by the scruff of the neck like a younger Gerrard used to do.  Allen, whatever.  Can could be a monster in CM or he could be Carlton Palmer on rollerblades, I can't tell because we're playing him on the right of defence.  Lallana, should he be in central midfielders, wide midfielders, where?  I have less clue where he should be than Brendan does, although in my defence I didn't pay £25m to come to that conclusion, I just worked it out off the telly.  Lucas is going I assume.

Wide?  I'm calling them just 'wide' because 'wide' is clearly a position in Brendan's tactical database, to hell with outmoded concepts such as 'defenders' and 'attackers'.  We've had forwards playing wing-back, wing-backs playing full back, full backs playing wing back, I seriously thought we were just drawing lots at one point, or deciding who played based on a drinking game or something.  Can we try maybe playing Ibe and Markovic in attacking positions and whoever stays out of the full backs in a defensive role?

Central defence.  I don't even want to think about it.  I will never watch Skrtel play 90 minutes without shitting myself once, he's done that to me since day one but I love the guy and he's solid.  I also like Sakho, must be something about defenders that make me shit myself.  Then we have what, old man Kolo, Can whose performances have been going downhill for me and who I really don't see as a defender and that's it.  Oh and there's the other guy as well but surely we're going to sell him.  The back three was sussed out pretty fast and I'd say it's over at least with these players.  Let's stop being so clever, go back to a four and play a DM (at least positionally, call him a quarterback if you want it will keep the yanks happy) in front of them.

Goal.  Mignolet stepped up, fair play to him.  Nothing else to say really, we need another keeper, we will sign one, nobody will care how good he is because he will only play in the league cup.

Oh and the club captain has just gone to LA on a free.

I'm not a pessimist by nature but I can't really see what we're offering top strikers there.  There's no way on earth we're going to address the deficiencies in the rest of the squad and still have the money to be signing top strikers, but without doing that we're hardly an enticing prospect.  We also have four clubs who are fucking rollling in money ahead of us if bids are going in and recent evidence suggests that even if we did get round the table we'd shit ourselves in contract negotiations anyway, offering them £60k a week and a go on that brass that Ayre had with him last night when the likes of City are throwing around £120k after tax like it's spare change.

So if FSG's expectation for this season was a CL place and it's going to be their requirement from Brendan next year, how the fuck is that happening?  How does he turn this season's squad less Sterling and Gerrard into one which will finish higher than one of the clubs above us now bearing in mind that the two immediately below us are also going to be trying to kick on, without spending the same kind of money as we did last summer?  Personally I can't see it, I wonder if FSG can.

I don't agree with those that say he has not laid down some foundations or a spine etc, he's put together a squad that can play a certain style of football

Yes.  The trouble is, it's 'shit'.  Oh and the closest thing this team has to a spine is Sktrel and Henderson.  The real problem though is that there's no head on top of it.