You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

Does Brendan rightly point out that if FSG had wanted a manager experienced in top end transfers, and buying a team, they should have appointed someone else, as that experience was not on his CV?

It was Brendan that refused to work with a DOF and got himself lumbered with Ian Ayre. FSG should never have gone back to him without one because Rodgers just didn't have the experience or nous to use the market properly or have a clue what players to identify. He's generally just targeted the players he'd target if he was still at Swansea.

The compromise was a committee that's been a disaster because it's Rodgers pick a few and someone else pick a few, rather than any workable consensus.

he refused to work under the transfer brilliance of LVG. who's signings have been shite

He's been vindicated after all then.

I'd still take Rojo or Blind over Lovren, Herrera over Lallana and Falcao over Balotelli and Lambert.

They didn't have a good window but they left it till the end of the window to do most of their business. They'll do better this summer.

Do FSG give him £120m to “go again”? 

The answer is very easy.

They will not give Rodgers or any new manager £120m to spend on players because there is no Suarez/Torres or any other big star name for them to sell in order to spend that much money and they do NOT want to invest their own funds.

Most of you act as if those £120m came out of their Hedge Fund, while you overlook the amount and quality of players they have sold over the years. They sold like crazy and that's even more sad than the shite they bought in order to replace the players they sold.

he refused to work under the transfer brilliance of LVG. who's signings have been shite

Yes but LVG also laughed at the idea of him retiring from football management in order to become FSG's DOF. So there is no point to overanalyse a shite idea overall.

• Upvote 3

Truly do not understand people continually posting Dalglish not finishing in the top 4 as the reason he got sacked.

Agreed.

it had everything to do with the clash of personalities and outlook between KK and Ayre in particular, and FSG generally.

He's been vindicated after all then.

I'd still take Rojo or Blind over Lovren, Herrera over Lallana and Falcao over Balotelli and Lambert.

They didn't have a good window but they left it till the end of the window to do most of their business. They'll do better this summer.

You can probably give him Blind and possibly Rojo out of those. They'd been trying to sign Herrera for a couple of years without VG, and Falcao was Falcao. I don't think for a second that Rodgers wanted Balotelli either, but was probably given a "him or nothing" ultimatum.

I'm reaching the point where I'm not even arsed if he goes, mostly because I think any manager doing significantly better or worse is highly unlikely, but I'll be absolutely astonished if you lot aren't ripping into his replacement with equal vigour in a few years, such is the disconnect between expectation and reality.

• Upvote 4

Tell you the very first thing that should be said to Mike Gordon in this review?

Hey Mike, you know this awesome plan to buy young talent and nurture it?  Well in case you didn't notice we can't even keep the young talent we already fucking have.  Now get your chequebook out or fuck off.

The answer is very easy.

They will not give Rodgers or any new manager £120m to spend on players because there is no Suarez/Torres or any other big star name for them to sell in order to spend that much money and they do NOT want to invest their own funds.

Most of you act as if those £120m came out of their Hedge Fund, while you overlook the amount and quality of players they have sold over the years. They sold like crazy and that's even more sad than the shite they bought in order to replace the players they sold.

Yes but LVG also laughed at the idea of him retiring from football management in order to become FSG's DOF. So there is no point to overanalyse a shite idea overall.

Nighty knows.

I'm reaching the point where I'm not even arsed if he goes, mostly because I think any manager doing significantly better or worse is highly unlikely, but I'll be absolutely astonished if you lot aren't ripping into his replacement with equal vigour in a few years, such is the disconnect between expectation and reality.

OK, I'll bite.

You seem to be assuming that everyone who's lost faith in Rodgers is somehow expecting too much. Some may be, but many aren't, and the idea that there's some kind of disconnect between reality and expectation - or that the critics are coming from the same place of a misapprehension of our place in the footballing landscape - is a giant strawman.

Only a few expected anything like last season to be replicated. What was expected was a coherent plan to navigate our time under Rodgers to appear, with an eye on the longer term. To those losing faith, none did. Just a series of temporary measures to get through a small run of games until we were found out and then the process was repeated.

I don't think Rodgers should go because we won't get fourth. I think he should go because there's no semblance of a plan emanating from him, other than rejigging, emphasising the system when winning and individual shortcomings when losing. The final points in particular indicate a future where a manager continually spends in the hope that the next player in vindicates his coaching. Agger wasn't fancied, then Sakho was sidelined, Lovren was going to be the leader, all before reflection that the coaching or system may be the source of our problems.

The bigger personalities and older players were marginalised, now we're talking about the need for exactly that type of player. It's just one plan replacing another, and the deflection is becoming harder and harder to take. I doubt many would mind if we were easy to watch, but barring one purple patch our defence has been calamitous.

I'd love to think we were building something, but all I see is one plan replacing another, and what we need is a manager with a long term vision. If wanting that is considered a disconnect between expectation and reality then please consider me a whinging fanny.

Apologies for the rant.

• Upvote 7

In the space of a year people on an Internet message board have changed an opinion of something, my faith in humanity has seriously diminished.

Here's some food for thought JP, if we were half decent this season and the manager hadn't signed off on a load of old shite we'd be in the top 4. Maybe it was naive of some but I doubt many thought we'd have been this negligent in all fronts this season.

I was joking about section but comments like doodeks where he's saying it would be amazing to get on the top 4 at the start of last season while now says 2nd was not an achievement shows how fickle some are,I was looking for a discussion I remember where fans were saying they wouldn't swap Rodgers for anyone.

Those who are having doubts I can understand but they should see the mitigating factors and realise we are still fifth after a nightmare season, what would a decent one be with a couple of strikers getting 10 goals each?

Minimum requirement is top 4 its what they have financed for. Its why Kenny got the bullet too.

And if you cant see the tone of articles written in the last few days hasnt changed, your in for a surprise. He's a dead man walking.

Oh..... And Moreno is absolute bobbins

If that's your interpretation from the articles in the last few days that's up to you but it looks to me like he's definitely staying, if anyone is in danger it would be other members of the committee.

It was widely reported by most sources he was off while now most sources are saying BRs job will not be under threat at that meeting.

That's absolute bollocks and I don't know why you keep trotting this line. A quick 

google search and you will find the article posted earlier was by Maddock on May 6th 2012. There is also an article in the daily mail on the same date. Both stated Dalglish's job was safe or words to that effect. In fact look back to April 2012 when Comolli was dismissed Werner came out and said they had complete faith in Dalglish! What happened a month later? I'm sorry Jermaine but there wasn't single source claiming Dalglish job was under threat at the time. 

He is going to stay and be told to get the most out of the shite we bought last summer with a couple of underwhelming additions this summer.

Whilst in the meantime managers who are proven winners and who are superior to him and who are available will end up elsewhere.

Shite.

Liverpoolfc.tv, late May:

Rodgers sacked

Brendan Rodgers has left Liverpool Football Club with immediate effect after meeting with club owners in Boston for a planned review of the 2014-2015 season.

Rodgers guided LFC to second place in the Barclays Premier League last season as they went closer to the league title than they have in 24 years, but this season the club fell away badly as a host of new signings bought with the proceeds of Luis Suarez's club record sale flopped.

Principle Owner John W Henry said "We want to place on record our respect and thanks for Brendan's hard work and commitment to the cause.  All Liverpool fans will hold fond memories of last season and be grateful to Brendan for making us dream.  He will always be a friend of the club...

JP, within minutes:

If that's how you want to interpret it then that's fine, John Henry says in there how much respect he has for the job Brendan's done, so I think I'll take his word over yours as that just shows he hasn't been sacked and is actually currently signing a contract extension with one of his bionic arms before backflipping over the Burj Khalifa.

• Upvote 4

Is that not the point, to nurture young talent and then sale for a massive profit?

What, to sell the talent for a massive profit, or for them to sell the club for a massive profit?

If you meant the former, Sterling is showing the fly in the ointment - those young players don't want to spend three years at a club where they don't feel they will win anything when they could be elsewhere.  For now it just means we're losing the talent we have but how long is it going to be before it stops us getting any more in?

If you're a 19 to 21 year old player who has the potential to kick on and get into that elite bracket,what is the attraction to joining Liverpool right now?  Forget the history of the club and all that, I care about it but I don't expect some kid from Spain or France or Germany to do the same and I just chuckle these days when they suggest otherwise.  Let's see:

• Chance to win something whilst you develop?  Seems not.
  • Top wages to compensate for the above?  Nope, you'll want City or Chelsea for that.
  • Chance to work with an experienced top-flight manager with a track record of developing young talent?  Umm nope.  Try Arsenal or United.

I'd say that pretty much the only thing we can offer them right now is regular first team football which gives them... a chance to put themselves in the shop window for a move to one of the clubs above.  We can help them there for sure because they will be playing alongside many players who are bang average, making themselves look better by comparison.

Say Origi comes in next season and sets the PL on fire, scores 25 goals.  You think we're going to be sat here next summer looking forward to his return from the Euros and planning another glorious campaign, or sitting here knowing he will be being tapped up for a move?  In fact, if we were trying to sign Origi this summer instead of having already tied the poor fool up on the back of last season, do you think we'd get him?

I pissed myself when I read that paper talk linking us with Vidal and Lacazette the other day because it's a few years since we've been seriously in for players like that (i.e. with a snowball's chance in hell of getting them); in fact for all his sins whilst he was here Comolli is the last person who actually got us a player that a lot of big clubs in Europe were looking at and of course, he was the one we sold last season.

Same reason I laughed when I heard the Depay rumours when anybody with half a brain knew he'd be off to United.

Same reason I gave a wry chuckle tonight when I saw on the back of the Manc Evening News that Cech has come out saying he'd love to go to United if they sell de Gea - remember when people were saying we should be in for him halfway through the season?

I don't want us to be a feeder club for cunts like City and Chelsea, developing the players that will help them continue their dominance and waving them off just so we can spend the money on another player who will be here for two years or until he looks like he's learned to do his own boots up at which point we sell him too and start again.

If you meant they want to keep costs down, keep us ticking over and then sell us for a profit on the back of the upgraded stadium though, yeah Tony I think you might be onto something. 

I'm really not big on conspiracy theories at all but the idea that these guys who are successful businessmen might actually think they can take us back anywhere near winning titles by selling what are perceived to be our best players every year and somehow expecting that to not send a message to prospective targets that we're a selling club with limited ambitions is probably more fantastical than thinking they're just looking for a way to add book value before cashing in.

• Upvote 2

OK, I'll bite.

You seem to be assuming that everyone who's lost faith in Rodgers is somehow expecting too much. Some may be, but many aren't, and the idea that there's some kind of disconnect between reality and expectation - or that the critics are coming from the same place of a misapprehension of our place in the footballing landscape - is a giant strawman.

Only a few expected anything like last season to be replicated. What was expected was a coherent plan to navigate our time under Rodgers to appear, with an eye on the longer term. To those losing faith, none did. Just a series of temporary measures to get through a small run of games until we were found out and then the process was repeated.

I don't think Rodgers should go because we won't get fourth. I think he should go because there's no semblance of a plan emanating from him, other than rejigging, emphasising the system when winning and individual shortcomings when losing. The final points in particular indicate a future where a manager continually spends in the hope that the next player in vindicates his coaching. Agger wasn't fancied, then Sakho was sidelined, Lovren was going to be the leader, all before reflection that the coaching or system may be the source of our problems.

The bigger personalities and older players were marginalised, now we're talking about the need for exactly that type of player. It's just one plan replacing another, and the deflection is becoming harder and harder to take. I doubt many would mind if we were easy to watch, but barring one purple patch our defence has been calamitous.

I'd love to think we were building something, but all I see is one plan replacing another, and what we need is a manager with a long term vision. If wanting that is considered a disconnect between expectation and reality then please consider me a whinging fanny.

Apologies for the rant.

That's why all the talk of par finishes is just fluff to disguise rank bad management all season and summer long. There's no plan, there's been no strategy, there's been no identity within this team and its management. Just a naive young manager trying to wing it as he goes along and the players know that and will sense it. If the manager is unsure of his tactics then how do you expect the players to react to them on the big stage? The European campaign was a disaster. 1 win in 6 games in a favourable CL group (injury time penalty at home to Bulgarian minnows) and out in the first go in the Europa League when we're the richest team in it. Constantly turned over tactically not just out-thought by the likes of Mourinho, Wenger and Ancelotti this season or Slaven Billic and Paulo Souza, but Pardew, Tim Sherwood and Neil Warnock.

We're closer to 8th than 4th - in terms of points and the reality of how the season has gone - and there's a bigger financial gap between us and Swansea and Southampton than us and United. And United have actually been terrible this season and can't believe their luck that we've gifted them a CL place back.

• Upvote 1

What, to sell the talent for a massive profit, or for them to sell the club for a massive profit?

If you meant the former, Sterling is showing the flaw in the ointment - those young players don't want to spend three years at a club where they don't feel they will win anything when they could be elsewhere. For now it just means we're losing the talent we have but how long is it going to be before it stops us getting any more in?

If you're a 19 to 21 year old player who has the potential to kick on and get into that elite bracket,what is the attraction to joining Liverpool right now? Forget the history of the club and all that, I care about it but I don't expect some kid from Spain or France or Germany to do the same and I just chuckle these days when they suggest otherwise. Let's see:

• Chance to win something whilst you develop? Seems not.
  • Top wages to compensate for the above? Nope, you'll want City or Chelsea for that.
  • Chance to work with an experienced top-flight manager with a track record of developing young talent? Umm nope. Try Arsenal or United.
I'd say that pretty much the only thing we can offer them right now is regular first team football which gives them... a chance to put themselves in the shop window for a move to one of the clubs above. We can help them there for sure because they will be playing alongside many players who are bang average, making themselves look better by comparison.

Say Origi comes in next season and sets the PL on fire, scores 25 goals. You think we're going to be sat here next summer looking forward to his return from the Euros and planning another glorious campaign, or sitting here knowing he will be being tapped up for a move? In fact, if we were trying to sign Origi this summer instead of having already tied the poor fool up on the back of last season, do you think we'd get him?

I pissed myself when I read that paper talk linking us with Vidal and Lacazette the other day because it's a few years since we've been seriously in for players like that (i.e. with a snowball's chance in hell of getting them); in fact for all his sins whilst he was here Comolli is the last person who actually got us a player that a lot of big clubs in Europe were looking at and of course, he was the one we sold last season.

Same reason I laughed when I heard the Depay rumours when anybody with half a brain knew he'd be off to United.

Same reason I gave a wry chuckle tonight when I saw on the back of the Manc Evening News that Cech has come out saying he'd love to go to United if they sell de Gea - remember when people were saying we should be in for him halfway through the season?

I don't want us to be a feeder club for cunts like City and Chelsea, developing the players that will help them continue their dominance and waving them off just so we can spend the money on another player who will be here for two years or until he looks like he's learned to do his own boots up at which point we sell him too and start again.

If you meant they want to keep costs down, keep us ticking over and then sell us for a profit on the back of the upgraded stadium though, yeah Tony I think you might be onto something.

I'm really not big on conspiracy theories at all but the idea that these guys who are successful businessmen might actually think they can take us back anywhere near winning titles by selling what are perceived to be our best players every year and somehow expecting that to not send a message to prospective targets that we're a selling club with limited ambitions is probably more fantastical than thinking they're just looking for a way to add book value before cashing in.

Is right

Out of rep, sadly.

• Upvote 1

He is going to stay and be told to get the most out of the shite we bought last summer with a couple of underwhelming additions this summer.

Whilst in the meantime managers who are proven winners and who are superior to him and who are available will end up elsewhere.

Shite.

I can just see it.  Steps off the plane back from Boston, journalist asks him how it went.

"I am focused on coaching and training my team."

That's absolute bollocks and I don't know why you keep trotting this line. A quick

google search and you will find the article posted earlier was by Maddock on May 6th 2012. There is also an article in the daily mail on the same date. Both stated Dalglish's job was safe or words to that effect. In fact look back to April 2012 when Comolli was dismissed Werner came out and said they had complete faith in Dalglish! What happened a month later? I'm sorry Jermaine but there wasn't single source claiming Dalglish job was under threat at the time.

Fair enough I've had a look and most sources were saying his job was not under immediate danger however the owners had sacked Comolli and were saying we were terrible in the league before we went in to have a shit finish.

I am more concerned now as they did say Kenny was staying only to go on and sack him, I remembered the general feeling being Kenny was off but some clearly feel that way with Rodgers now .