You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

Man U had Moyes and were in disarray. Fact. Chelsea had Maureen in his first season back, and had yet to reshape, fact. Arsenal lost in form Walcott for most of the season, fact. We were not in Europe, fact.

I hope that helps.

Not really as the points tally last season shows the top teams were doing as well as they have been and in fact better as it was the highest points tally.

Your points don't really mean anything either, what has manus form got to do with us, Arsenal always have a bad run while Walcott has never been key for them and Mourinho won the league comfortably in his first season at his first spell there so what's the difference.

You also seem to be making excuses for those clubs saying they suffered because of injuries and players getting used of a new manager but don't apply the same logic when discussing Rodgers problems this season or you'd be saying they should be sacked.

Man U had Moyes and were in disarray. Fact. Chelsea had Maureen in his first season back, and had yet to reshape, fact. Arsenal lost in form Walcott for most of the season, fact. We were not in Europe, fact.

I hope that helps.

Chelsea had arguably the best squad in the country, their best ever manager in charge and finished with by far their highest points total since winning the league 4 years earlier. Only Man United underperformed in the league last season, every other team near the top did better than they had in years. But keep downplaying our own team to denigrate the manager, while making excuses for all of our rivals.

• Upvote 1

But keep downplaying our own team to denigrate the manager, while making excuses for all of our rivals.

Says the guy denigrating the CL win several pages back. Anyways there's plenty to hang our current management with, without putting down previous achievements.

I agree and I disagree.

FSG showed they were willing to install a DoF, but Rodgers talked them out of it.

It shows that they can and will change their mind on the structure.

That said, if they keep Rodgers then it shows a total detachment from reality, in that they still believe in the committee and they still believe in Rodgers' ability to coach a team at the highest level.

His European nightmare has shown him up to be totally incapable of replicating his ideas against good teams, as is also shown in our games vs the top four in the league.

Under Rodgers, against the top four teams, this is our league record over three years:

Man City - Lost 2, Won 2, Drawn 2

Chelsea - Lost 3, Won 0, Drawn 3

Man U - Lost 4, Won 2, Drawn 0

Arsenal - Lost 3, Won 1, Drawn 2

24 games played, won 5, Lost 12, Drawn 7

Goals scored: 34

Goals conceded: 44

By the by, 4 of those 5 wins came last season amid Suarageddon.

Looking at the 34 goals we scored:

10 goals from Suarez and Gerrard combined (gone)

6 goals from Skrtel

6 goals from Sturridge

4 goals from Coutinho

3 goals from Henderson

3 goals from Sterling

Also his record in the cups and Europe show that tactically he really has very little to crow about. 

He's not a winner, simple as that. I don't see it changing ever. It doesn't mean he's a fraud or any of the other stupid things people say about him. He just doesn't have what it takes to win things and he's not magically going to start doing it next year. 

Also his record in the cups and Europe show that tactically he really has very little to crow about. 

He's not a winner, simple as that. I don't see it changing ever. It doesn't mean he's a fraud or any of the other stupid things people say about him. He just doesn't have what it takes to win things and he's not magically going to start doing it next year. 

Aren't you advocating replacing him with Klopp, who won his first trophy in his 10th year of management, didn't get past the opening qualifying round in his first foray into Europe and finished bottom of his group with 4 points from 6 games in his first Champions League campaign? It's a good job you weren't on the Dortmund board 5 years ago because your advice would have almost certainly been "Sack the manager. Klopp isn't a winner. He doesn't have what it takes to win things and he's not magically going to start doing it next year."

• Upvote 5

So should we stick with Brendan for another 3 years then?

How about employing managers who've already done their time and have actually won things?

And I'm not talking about the Swedish 2nd Division or the Findus Crispy Fried Pancakes Wednesday night trophy

Ahh, so because Klopp became a manager that won stuff it means that every other manager will as well. The old Ferguson argument. 

Top stuff.

Of course not and I made no such claim (which you're surely well aware of). I was merely pointing out the irony in Scott effectively saying "we can be sure Rodgers will never win anything due to these reasons, so let's appoint this manager... who completely disproves everything I just said."

Tony Barrett weighing in.....

Not since buying Liverpool in October 2010 has Fenway Sports Group (FSG) endured such a chastening 72 hours. On Saturday, supporters at Anfield reacted with derision to the suggestion that the club are heading in the right direction. Then yesterday there was a vicious double whammy as Michel Platini confirmed that the Financial Fair Play rules which attracted John W. Henry to purchase the club are to be relaxed and Raheem Sterling’s camp made it known that the winger wishes to leave.

Liverpool are vulnerable right now. They are mediocre and everyone knows it. The reality is that those at the top end of the football industry have known it for some time, hence senior scouts from Manchester City and Chelsea becoming Anfield regulars this season in the knowledge that Liverpool’s best players are there for the taking in a way that they haven’t been for half a century.

For all the opprobrium – some of it just, some of it not – that will inevitably be showered on Sterling and his representative, Aidy Ward, following yesterday’s events, the reality is that it is Liverpool’s weakness that allows players and agents to act in the way that they are. One of the club’s first and most important responsibilities is to make it a place that players find difficult to leave and it would be absurd to claim that is the case.

With no Champions League football to offer, only one trophy (the League Cup) won in the past nine seasons, just three title challenges since 1991, a transfer policy that prioritises the future over the present and an inability to compete for top players, Liverpool are failing to keep their end of the bargain in terms of how a big club are supposed to behave. Expectations have been lowered, almost dumbed down, and if the supporters can recognise that so too can the players.

Thus far, the strongest argument that Liverpool have been able to muster in their attempts to convince Sterling to remain at the club is that it is the best place for his development at this stage of his career; not that if he remains at Anfield he can fulfil his ambitions, that success is around the corner or that they will pay him as much as others are willing to. It is an argument rooted in weakness and lacking in conviction.

It could also be argued that it is flawed given that Sterling, a creative player, has spent the past 12 months playing in a team without a forward. It is all well and good playing regular first-team football but doing so in a dysfunctional team that stymies your best qualities is hardly developmental.

The reality is that Liverpool’s problems – their failure to finish in the top four, their struggle to hold on to their best players, the lack of supporters’ faith in the club’s direction and the pressure that is building on the Anfield hierarchy – are symptoms of the same cause: a flawed transfer strategy that it is causing untold damage. Signing potential rather than proven talent is undermining everything that Liverpool are supposed to stand for. It has reached the stage where one of their better young players is not prepared to hang around to see if their inferior young players will improve.

For all the accusations that Sterling is going the wrong way about forcing a move (and many of these are wholly legitimate), Liverpool are at the mercy of the ambition of others because they are either unwilling or unable to match their rivals’ ambition. That situation is only likely to become more severe now that FFP is about to be watered down. As Henry himself conceded recently, without FFP it becomes “very difficult” for Liverpool to compete. The established football food chain, ordered according to owners’ wealth, leaves them exposed. Rival clubs, avaricious agents and even their own supporters know this only too well.

FSG’s model is failing. Whether that is because it is fundamentally flawed or poorly executed is a moot point but what is not in question is that Liverpool’s entire football operation is in need of urgent evaluation. Until the things that are going wrong are put right, then Raheem Sterling won’t be the last to believe the grass is greener elsewhere, he’ll just be one of a number in an ever lengthening line who view Liverpool Football Club as a stepping stone rather than a final destination.

• Upvote 3

All this about FSG, models and ambition does not, cannot, negate the fact that we took 6 of 36 points from teams below us in the table, when we were 'fighting' for a CL spot. Those teams presumably have shittier models and less ambition than us - they certainly have less fucking money.

We failed on the pitch REPEATEDLY against shit teams. Talk to the manager before writing more "I confess, it's FSG's fault" tripe.

I'm in dispair tbh, there are so many problems that I wonder if we can be fixed. I have come to feel negative towards Brendan, his comments about other clubs and managers do not represent mine, he will only play one way rather than having options which improve our chances of 'winning' (tony pullis has at least won against Chelsea), he has signed woeful players and squandered, whatever the ins and outs, on his watch, the money from the best pound for pound player we have ever had (IMO, not to derail the topic) and because of that played players in positions not best suited to their game. I don't think Gerrard was ever a "controller" or dm, whatever you want to call it and in my opinion his endeavours to keep the scouse legend in his team have tarnished Gerrards reputation. I also feel that playing Sterling as a striker, wing back etc has contributed to this current mess and his playing of Markovic at wing back was not good for the players development.  He refuses to see the need for anyone other than office juniors in midfield to offer the defence any protection (or little, or none) and we have never had a decent defensive record in 3 seasons. He will not attract players based on his reputation and I believe that he has lost the dressing room. 

Rafa fought against hicks and Gillet, I loved him for it and he bought some good players when given decent funds. There were strange decisions, shite signings along the way, but I would welcome him back with open arms.

FSG deserve some flack, but I do recognise that we have a solvent club having feared for our survival under H&G so I thank them for that. We have spent money, just poorly.  I dont in truth blame them, because I'm sure they would much rather the signings to have turned out differently but they need to conduct an urgent end of season review. Heads should roll for this and we cannot continue as we are.

• Upvote 2

If you ignore everything pre-Houllier.

It's a completely different club now. We were the best run club in the country for a generation and a well oiled machine with each manager winning shitloads while on the previous manager's staff.

Look at the state of the meffs in charge now. We've gone from the best run club there is to one of the worst. It's no place for a naive rookie manager.

If there aren't fundamental changes then 50 whole British pounds to a charity of anyone's choosing.

What fundamental changes. Set them out and we'll talk about this £50. To me. I'll whip some of it off to a charity if I fancy after it comes in.

Maybe not but deffo bottom half, other clubs are well placed with the tv deals to come up over us while we committee.

How much would you like to bet that we don't finish in the bottom half next season; given we're deffo finishing there?