You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

Sounds about right, he didn't make any secret of wanting the England job not long after joining us the cheeky chuffer.

He's not foreign, he's not won anything, in fact he's especially useless at cup competitions and he's got friends in the press who'll overstate his credentials and understate his mediocrity.

• Upvote 2

I agree with Rodgers on this, Edwards is a fucking joke. You can post stats of Lallana scoring 9 goals and creating 9 assists for Southampton or Rickie Lambert scoring 13 with the same number of assists, but it's blatantly obvious just by watching them that they weren't good enough for us.

Likewise Coutinho has only ever scored 5 goals in a season and he's world class, so what does that say? The only thing the stats based approach will do is force us to spend even more money on one season wonders, a practice thats been crippling the club for years.

• Upvote 3

BR was wishful thinking on FSGs behalf. A manager with very limited experience and knowledge of managing big clubs

Klopp is proven quality

Obviously, it could still all go terribly wrong but the odds are looking good for the first time in a long time

I'm happy

BR was wishful thinking on FSGs behalf. A manager with very limited experience and knowledge of managing big clubs

Klopp is proven quality

Obviously, it could still all go terribly wrong but the odds are looking good for the first time in a long time

I'm happy

I think the biggest difference is pedigree. If klopp makes massive fuck ups you at least know there's still a winner in there who's done it before. Rodgers had no history of success, the whole thing was flying blind.

• Upvote 2

I think the biggest difference is pedigree. If klopp makes massive fuck ups you at least know there's still a winner in there who's done it before. Rodgers had no history of success, the whole thing was flying blind.

How I see it as well.

We'd fallen absolutely miles adrift of the top teams by the time he took over and in his 2nd season he oversaw our best league campaign in decades, when no one gave us a prayer of even finishing top 4.

I disagree with the idea he was out of his depth or the appointment was a mistake. Having already endured several years of abject shite before his arrival, I'd have gladly taken another 1 or 2 if it came coupled with the best, most entertaining Liverpool league campaign I've ever witnessed (and possibly will ever witness, barring a sugardaddy takeover).

The whole thing had gone stale and it was the right time for him to go but he can hold his head up high with regards to his time here.

This club should never have to endure an abject season.

As Bob Paisley famously said "one year we came second".  Obviously the whole football landscape has changed since then and we're always going to be punching above our weight in the Premiership (at least for the forseeable future).

I doubt he'll be proud of the record of being hosed 6-1 by fucking Stoke in Gerrard's last game for us either.

I agree with Rodgers on this, Edwards is a fucking joke. You can post stats of Lallana scoring 9 goals and creating 9 assists for Southampton or Rickie Lambert scoring 13 with the same number of assists, but it's blatantly obvious just by watching them that they weren't good enough for us.

Likewise Coutinho has only ever scored 5 goals in a season and he's world class, so what does that say? The only thing the stats based approach will do is force us to spend even more money on one season wonders, a practice thats been crippling the club for years.

Ironically it was always reported that Coutinho was pushed by the committee.

Lallana and Lambert by Rodgers himself. Simplistic stats are the issue.

• Upvote 1

Ironically it was always reported that Coutinho was pushed by the committee.

Lallana and Lambert by Rodgers himself. Simplistic stats are the issue.

All of that's true of course but i don't see how something arbitrary like 'percentage of passes completed in the final third' has any bearing on a strikers overall ability. It's seems to be the lowest common denominator stat to say "see he's good with his feet". Which in itself is a microcosm of a much bigger picture.

They may be able to provide stats for players that are having a good season, but they don't seem to be able to spot the young players with bad stats that'll become good. 

Sturridge and Coutinho were players with obvious natural ability not getting much of a go at big teams. The likes of Carroll, Lallana, Adam, and Lovren were players that had one good season at small teams, with stats that stood out. We seemed to ignore the fact that the team was build around them, hoofing it to Carroll, license for Adam to do fuck all running at Blackpool, two holding midfielders protecting Lovren and giving Lallana freedom ahead of them.

If we're going to take any "punts", and admittedly at the prices we often pay it's a bit rich to claim they are punts, then I'd much rather they were of the former type. Sakho was sort of the same. More experienced than Sturridge or Coutinho, but another obviously high quality player that wasn't going to play every week for the (very good) team they were at.

Stick your stats up your arse.

• Upvote 7

The cartoon of Lovren was good, but they lose points in my book for the cheap dig at Sylvester McCoy. He was underrated.

He had one of the best assistants too. Ace was ace.

• Upvote 1

The cartoon of Lovren was good, but they lose points in my book for the cheap dig at Sylvester McCoy. He was underrated.

He had one of the best assistants too. Ace was ace.

Agreed. McCoy was underrated. They should have stuck with Baker.

• Upvote 1