You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

Klopp being available is a free bet for the owners.

They will conduct their 'robust review', allow us to be linked with him for a while to keep the noise down, sign a load of shit and then fuck off leaving a crap manager in charge of a crap squad. 

Reckon you're spot on, now that he's fluttered his eyelashes they have to go through through the motions of ruling him out and declaring Rodgers the best man for the job. 

Reckon you're spot on, now that he's fluttered his eyelashes they have to go through through the motions of ruling him out and declaring Rodgers the best man for the job. 

It does seem like there was a proper media debrief to all the main papers to say Rodger's is safe. So I'd say it's far from far fetched that they feel they have to go through the motions with Klopp just for show. 

Wouldn't be surprised though if they meet him face to face and him leave the room with the job. 

But they'll probably send Ayre to meet him with a box filled with those fucking mensa shape puzzles. 

"Ahhhh you can't put the pyramid together, sorry Jurgen, no job for you!" 

I wouldn't be surprised if FSG are very confused about what's gone on this season and don't really have a clear idea of how to react. Me too. I can't remember such a strange set of results and I've been following the club since the back end of Shankly's reign. This is how it went:

Once Sturridge got injured and the CL started we sank into relegation form in the league, only picking up 16 points from 14 games, along with a series of woeful CL performances and just squeaking through a couple of League Cup ties.

In mid-December Rodgers finally comes up with a way of us providing some sort of attacking threat and we're suddenly the form side in the whole of Europe embarking on a 23 game run where we only lose 2 cup games, narrowly, and take 33 points out of 39 in the league.

Then, supposedly, Van Gaal works Rodgers' system out, or notices that Fellaini is a foot taller than Joe Allen more like, Gerrard loses his rag and we slump back into relegation form earning only 8 points out of 27 in the league and lose after a pathetic display in an FA Cup semi-final.

There are plausible explanations for the autumn slump and the mid-season upturn but why did they drop off so badly after the Utd game? If they hadn't had the barely functioning QPR and Newcastle at home during that spell it would almost certainly have been 2 points from 27 and that performance at Wembley was fucking shocking considering what was at stake. There have been plenty of seasons in the recent past where there's been nothing to play for from early January onwards but there has never been a collapse in form that catastrophic, ever. What caused it?

I suppose the obvious thing would be that something happened around the Utd and Arsenal games that completely turned the players off Rodgers. The rumoured dressing room ructions after the game at the Emirates might have been the straw that broke the camel's back. There were also suggestions of a big fall out after the game in Madrid so they may have already had serious reservations about him that were cemented in place by his reaction to those 2 defeats. Once that had happened they pretty much packed it in for the season.

Players will play for a manager they don't much like as a person if he keeps telling them to do things on the pitch that get results. Once he stops doing that his days are numbered. That's where Rodgers appears to be now. I hope FSG understand the implications of this and remove him. Bringing in a manager new to this league like Klopp might be a risk but he does have a record the players will respect and, from what I've seen of him, the sort of open, honest personality they will respond to. Judging by the last 10 games of the season appointing him would seem a lot less risky than leaving Rodgers in the job.

Apparently, the players have stopped responding having lost confidence in him.  'They've had enough of his bullshit and dupliticious ways'.  Rodgers is accutely aware he's fallen foul of certain senior players in the squad, apparently. 

Plough enough drinks, in this case an ex manager, and the tongue somewhat loosens.

Apparently, the players have stopped responding having lost confidence in him.  'They've had enough of his bullshit and dupliticious ways'.  Rodgers is accutely aware he's fallen foul of certain senior players in the squad, apparently. 

Plough enough drinks, in this case an ex manager, and the tongue somewhat loosens.

Therein lies the problem.  If the squad has lost confidence in the manager so obviously, players of the standard we need will be reluctant to sign under Rodgers. Klopp stands a good chance of getting players the current clowns couldn't.

Therein lies the problem. If the squad has lost confidence in the manager so obviously, players of the standard we need will be reluctant to sign under Rodgers. Klopp stands a good chance of getting players the current clowns couldn't.

Why would any quality foreign player sign for Rodgers at the best of times? He's got no pedigree or buzz about him in the slightest.

Domestically, English players talk all the time, if he's got a rep it will be well known. The only players you end up with in those situations are the wide eyed brigade who've come from a much smaller club, which is probably why we target them.

Then, supposedly, Van Gaal works Rodgers' system out, or notices that Fellaini is a foot taller than Joe Allen more like, Gerrard loses his rag and we slump back into relegation form earning only 8 points out of 27 in the league and lose after a pathetic display in an FA Cup semi-final.

There are plausible explanations for the autumn slump and the mid-season upturn but why did they drop off so badly after the Utd game? If they hadn't had the barely functioning QPR and Newcastle at home during that spell it would almost certainly have been 2 points from 27 and that performance at Wembley was fucking shocking considering what was at stake. There have been plenty of seasons in the recent past where there's been nothing to play for from early January onwards but there has never been a collapse in form that catastrophic, ever. What caused it?

I suppose the obvious thing would be that something happened around the Utd and Arsenal games that completely turned the players off Rodgers. The rumoured dressing room ructions after the game at the Emirates might have been the straw that broke the camel's back. There were also suggestions of a big fall out after the game in Madrid so they may have already had serious reservations about him that were cemented in place by his reaction to those 2 defeats. Once that had happened they pretty much packed it in for the season.

Players will play for a manager they don't much like as a person if he keeps telling them to do things on the pitch that get results. Once he stops doing that his days are numbered. That's where Rodgers appears to be now. I hope FSG understand the implications of this and remove him. Bringing in a manager new to this league like Klopp might be a risk but he does have a record the players will respect and, from what I've seen of him, the sort of open, honest personality they will respond to. Judging by the last 10 games of the season appointing him would seem a lot less risky than leaving Rodgers in the job.

I think Rodgers' short-term measure with the 3 at the back had been worked out before United. We had many dodgy games as well in that good run of form, but Monk's Swansea ran us ragged for 45 minutes, outplaying us more than United did the next week, but couldn't put a chance away and Mig made some worldies. Just before that Southampton did the same in the first half at St Mary's. We got away with it but the warning sides were there.

Yet rather than heed the warnings it was the usual pride before a fall with Rodgers after Swansea, briefing the media about how 'he' had turned the season around or "it must have been that new defensive coach lol".

United and Arsenal were the games that run of form was all about. We'd got ourselves into contention for those games. Van Gaal completely outmanouvered Rodgers tactically. Van Gaal knows the 3 at the back inside out and how to exploit it. He just outnumbered us totally in midfield and we didn't have a player who could put a foot in. Even at half time it was Lucas we need on the pitch to give us a bit of control but Rodgers thought Gerrard will come on and save the day, even if we still had no midfield. Then Rodgers got his team selection completely wrong at Arsenal bringing Kolo in.

I think Arsenal was a bit of a sea change amongst the players because Rodgers messed up again in a big game and then publicly declared 4th as over so the players gave up the ghost in the league after that. The last chance to salvage something of the season was Villa and Rodgers has some kind of mental blackout and completely makes a mess of it and gets had off by Tim fucking Sherwood. We saw at the weekend (or at Southampton) what a tactical simpleton Sherwood is and how a good football team will just tear his sides apart the way he sets his team up and can't defend. But Rodgers made a mess of the team selection and tactics and even somehow made Villa look a good side.

After those three games the morale would have been shot to bits and Rodgers had already gave up on 4th place so it was go through the motions time. Fortunately we had Newcastle and QPR at home in the run in which at least saved us from 7th or 8th place.

• Upvote 2

After the Swansea game I said that I hope Van Gaal hasn't seen that game as Monk had worked us out. My Dad said it, Gary Neville said it and a lot of other people probably said it. It was so obvious. I also said that if we go into the Utd game with the same system we will get ripped to shreds.

What happened? Same system. Get ripped to shreds.

After the Swansea game I said that I hope Van Gaal hasn't seen that game as Monk had worked us out. My Dad said it, Gary Neville said it and a lot of other people probably said it. It was so obvious. I also said that if we go into the Utd game with the same system we will get ripped to shreds.

What happened? Same system. Get ripped to shreds.

Yep. Instead of learning a lesson from it to take into the United game Rodgers spent the week after Swansea showing off instead and made quips about defensive coaches, going on talksport and having his favoured journos writing about how he'd turned the season around. United weren't very good this season. There's no reason we should have been outplayed if we'd been set up properly and sufficiently prepared for the game. Rodgers regularly makes changes in the first half because he regularly gets his tactics wrong, but it was obvious he needed to change that after 10 minutes and did nothing. If you draw or lose because De Gea has a boss game or a bit of bad luck then so be it, but we got completely outplayed on our own ground which United hadn't done at Anfield for a long time with far better sides under Ferguson. When did they last outplay us on our own ground?

He's the learning manager who doesn't actually learn from his own mistakes. His hubris affects his ability to do his job.

• Upvote 1

Yep. Instead of learning a lesson from it to take into the United game Rodgers spent the week after Swansea showing off instead and made quips about defensive coaches, going on talksport and having his favoured journos writing about how he'd turned the season around. United weren't very good this season. There's no reason we should have been outplayed if we'd been set up properly and sufficiently prepared for the game. Rodgers regularly makes changes in the first half because he regularly gets his tactics wrong, but it was obvious he needed to change that after 10 minutes and did nothing. If you draw or lose because De Gea has a boss game or a bit of bad luck then so be it, but we got completely outplayed on our own ground which United hadn't done at Anfield for a long time with far better sides under Ferguson. When did they last outplay us on our own ground?He's the learning manager who doesn't actually learn from his own mistakes. His hubris affects his ability to do his job.

Yep. Instead of learning a lesson from it to take into the United game Rodgers spent the week after Swansea showing off instead and made quips about defensive coaches, going on talksport and having his favoured journos writing about how he'd turned the season around. United weren't very good this season. There's no reason we should have been outplayed if we'd been set up properly and sufficiently prepared for the game. Rodgers regularly makes changes in the first half because he regularly gets his tactics wrong, but it was obvious he needed to change that after 10 minutes and did nothing. If you draw or lose because De Gea has a boss game or a bit of bad luck then so be it, but we got completely outplayed on our own ground which United hadn't done at Anfield for a long time with far better sides under Ferguson. When did they last outplay us on our own ground?He's the learning manager who doesn't actually learn from his own mistakes. His hubris affects his ability to do his job.

I've been down on Rodgers shortcomings for quite sometime but I would say in defence of his tactics that it's a hell of lot easier to set up a team when you have good strikers banging goals in every week . Of course he has to shoulder some of the blame for not prioritising a striker last summer and Sturridge's sabbatical was unfortunate . On balance he is not good enough and should go but he's not as useless as some would make out

Yep. Instead of learning a lesson from it to take into the United game Rodgers spent the week after Swansea showing off instead and made quips about defensive coaches, going on talksport and having his favoured journos writing about how he'd turned the season around. United weren't very good this season. There's no reason we should have been outplayed if we'd been set up properly and sufficiently prepared for the game. Rodgers regularly makes changes in the first half because he regularly gets his tactics wrong, but it was obvious he needed to change that after 10 minutes and did nothing. If you draw or lose because De Gea has a boss game or a bit of bad luck then so be it, but we got completely outplayed on our own ground which United hadn't done at Anfield for a long time with far better sides under Ferguson. When did they last outplay us on our own ground?

He's the learning manager who doesn't actually learn from his own mistakes. His hubris affects his ability to do his job.

Page 1 March 2013. He's learnt fuck all.