You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

Thats been the case since halfway through rodgers first season, rodgers can stop a player coming in but cant just go and get anyone unless the committee agrees eg both borini and mario were signed to draw italian american audiences by mike gordon and co.

Its not really news mate.

Borini was specifically a Brendan Rodgers buy. Borini and Allen were his top choices in his first summer (as were Lallana and Lovren this time last year) and Borini was a player who was going to 'excite the fans'.

Fuck knows what clown decided Balotelli was a good idea.

I don't think it's got anything to do with Rodgers staying. If your paying people million pound plus contracts to scout players and decide your transfer targets and they've spent a whole year going after these players, contacting agents, speaking with the player to see whether they are interested in the move, acquiring all the performance data and seeing them play regularly. Then what difference does the manager make?

I think the committee have decided who they want and are trying to get them in early. Rodgers fate will be decided in June after the meeting with FSG, they are two separate things.

I don't think it's got anything to do with Rodgers staying. If your paying people million pound plus contracts to scout players and decide your transfer targets and they've spent a whole year going after these players, contacting agents, speaking with the player to see whether they are interested in the move, acquiring all the performance data and seeing them play regularly. Then what difference does the manager make?

I think the committee have decided who they want and are trying to get them in early. Rodgers fate will be decided in June after the meeting with FSG, they are two separate things.

If that's true, wouldn't it put off most top quality managers?

Even if Klopp and Ancelotti, for example, have worked with a DoF in the past, which they have, I'd assume they'd have had some input. Would they really want to turn up with us having already spunked our money on shite again?

Even if Klopp and Ancelotti, for example, have worked with a DoF in the past, which they have, I'd assume they'd have had some input. Would they really want to turn up with us having already spunked our money on shite again?

They will have some input, it's just that the club is probably trying to tie up all the loose ends on Milner, Ings and Clyne as quick as possible because they see them representing good value. Hypothetically if he does come in Klopp will probably have the power to veto the rest, but it'll be similar to butthead coming with Shaw and Kroos already lined up from Moyes tenure.

The behind the scenes work will probably already have been done on at least three of them. What if Klopp is waiting to see whether he gets the Real Madrid job? We can't wait the whole window whilst players have been sounded out behind the scenes and given the go ahead, or what we'll end up with is another Konoplyanka / Clint Dempsey situation. 

We aren't going to wait the whole window though are we?

Klopp's season is finished in about five hours, Benitez' (In respect to the Real Madrid job) in about 30.

If we seriously are negotiating with Clyne, Ings, and Milner it, sadly, seems to point to Rodgers staying.

Maybe it's somewhere between the two i.e. we're preparing bids as if Rodgers were going to be around, but have no intention of completing deals until after the review? Find out prices, throw a low bid out for Clyne and Kovacic as we may get lucky, but knowing in all likelihood that nothing could come to fruition until the review is over.

I get the feeling that the key transfer will hinge on what we get for Sterling anyway, and that's going to be a protracted saga.

This is the thing, will fsg let the manager tell them what they require or will they try dictating bullshit again? Will they let a manager manage or only let the manager coach. In the usa they have coaches and in all their time fsg have not recognised the difference in england, every club that has a DOF in england has failed, wheres wengers dof or fergies or mourinhos?

But we seem amazed by the prospect, need to give the manager control, a budget to do as he or she pleases, I say she as FSG could appoint a fucking french temporary traffic light as our manager and it wouldnt surprise me be no less qualified trophywise and might be useful setting up defence with conework and things. If we get klopp or anci and they get control of tranfers we will not just qualify for top four we will be winning leagues and cl quarter finals and fa cup finals. Because a top manager is all our supporters need and they are an advantage no other team has, broken many a top player ask shevchenko i dont care how much they cost.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Great post. I think this totally baffling end of season meltdown may have been a gradual thing, as Rodgers was progressively losing his way and the players. Wrong decisions didn't work and brought more resentment out of the players, potentially right decisions then backfired the same way due to players unwillingness or incapability to execute them, resulting in even more managerial panic and so on. By the end they either believed he would not be here next year, or they would not be. I still would not mind him staying if he can get the players backing him again, but it seems they've lost faith in him and this is always the key indication, they work with him every day, they know what he asks of them and their response shows you what they think of that.

The turning point was the Southampton game. Koeman worked us out and despite a very lucky win every other fucker after that was all over us in midfield , pressing high safe in the knowledge we had nothing to hurt them with on the break.

If the transfer rumours are genuine then it'd suggest Rodgers is staying because the likes of Ings, Benteke and Clyne have got Rodgers written all over them.

You could point to Milner and say we need the experience and there's no transfer fee so would make sense to push that through, but the others are the typical Premier League players Rodgers loves buying and if it was up to him we'd have plenty more of (Williams, Bertrand, Ben Davies, Dempsey etc).

He then spends half a season overplaying said players until they've cost us fuck loads of points before bombing them out and repeating the process the following season. I'm really beginning to hate him and everybody involved with the club.

If the best they can find is Ings, Benteke and Clyne then that's what would put off top managers. We might as well call ourselves Everton as then we'd be attracting the same level of player as them as well as manager.

He then spends half a season overplaying said players until they've cost us fuck loads of points before bombing them out and repeating the process the following season. I'm really beginning to hate him and everybody involved with the club.

I'm waiting to see what happens at this meeting. If he stays then that's me done for the summer and will dread next season because it's going to be shite.

If he goes then i'll give FSG another chance to finally bring in the right people to move the club forward. Monchi and Klopp would be ideal.

There's no way Rodgers goes in to this review without his fate already being decided. They're either giving him a stern warning or making his position untenable as a way to try and save compo.

I reckon transfer wise that Ings, Milner, Clyne and Benteke will come out of the transfer pot whilst any extra will be raised through sales so a new manager would get to stamp his mark on the squad.

There's no way Rodgers goes in to this review without his fate already being decided. They're either giving him a stern warning or making his position untenable as a way to try and save compo.

I reckon transfer wise that Ings, Milner, Clyne and Benteke will come out of the transfer pot whilst any extra will be raised through sales so a new manager would get to stamp his mark on the squad.

Why not? It may not be a review anymore but more of a cementing of parting of ways. Who knows.

Silence is deafening.

It's untenable now. The best player we'll sign this summer under this regime is James Milner.

Parry, who was at Anfield for 11 years between 1998 and 2009, was responsible for the appointments of Gerard Houllier and Rafael Benitez.

He added: "If you look at the criteria we applied when we appointed Gerard and Rafa they were a little different, even in that five-year period.

"With Gerard we deliberately decided we wanted to bring in some continental experience. With had the advent of the Champions League, France were very much on the ascendancy, so we thought he would bring something fresh.

"We parted company with Gerard having qualified for the Champions League because our standard then was we wanted to be in contention for winning the league.

"We wanted someone young and hungry, not someone looking for a pension. Rafa, having won the league twice with Valencia, was a perfect fit."

Moores and Parry were often derided and rightly so for there ineptitude but at least they had some ambition,Rogers would never have got an interview under them.

Parry, who was at Anfield for 11 years between 1998 and 2009, was responsible for the appointments of Gerard Houllier and Rafael Benitez.

He added: "If you look at the criteria we applied when we appointed Gerard and Rafa they were a little different, even in that five-year period.

"With Gerard we deliberately decided we wanted to bring in some continental experience. With had the advent of the Champions League, France were very much on the ascendancy, so we thought he would bring something fresh.

"We parted company with Gerard having qualified for the Champions League because our standard then was we wanted to be in contention for winning the league.

"We wanted someone young and hungry, not someone looking for a pension. Rafa, having won the league twice with Valencia, was a perfect fit."

Moores and Parry were often derided and rightly so for there ineptitude but at least they had some ambition,Rogers would never have got an interview under them.

Well coco has a short memory because he said the reason from bringing benitez in was that he could 'win titles on a budget.'

So, nothing has really changed except the managers, has it?

Well coco has a short memory because he said the reason from bringing benitez in was that he could 'win titles on a budget.'

So, nothing has really changed except the managers, has it?

Not sure about that but seem to recall they set out some conditions for the job,winning a major domestic league and having a good track record in Euro competition.

Not sure about that but seem to recall they set out some conditions for the job,winning a major domestic league and having a good track record in Euro competition.

Well you might not be sure but I am. That's what coco said. Doesnt mean it was the reason but it was more than the bullshit of we're in the CL now.

Well you might not be sure but I am. That's what coco said. Doesnt mean it was the reason but it was more than the bullshit of we're in the CL now.

Fair enough will take your word for it but like i said for all there shortfalls and ineptitude they did at least seem to have some idea of what was needed to run a top club,all comes down to ambition I guess.