You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

You know, you kid but I reckon we actually have pretty good personnel to suit a Rafa-managed style.

Can - Carvalho

Ibe - Coutinho - Sterling

Sturridge

I reckon we'd see absolutely ridiculous stats from Coutinho in that kind of lineup.  

Just needs a Carvalho or some other destroyer in CM and maybe a better player than Ibe/Markovic so those are the players on the bench.  Though if Rafa can get us 2nd with a good-but-not-great Riera playing almost every game, he could probably do it with Ibe and Markovic.

Sturridge upfront, what could possibly go wrong.

• Upvote 1

Tony Barrett
Published 1 minute ago

Brendan Rodgers will have to prove he is the right man to take Liverpool forward in an end-of-season review with Fenway Sports Group (FSG).

The club’s American owner will look to re-establish common ground with the manager after a season that has fallen short of expectations.

Although FSG has no intention of dispensing with Rodgers’s services, the outcome of the meeting will be pivotal in determining how the club goes about addressing the failings that have resulted in such a disappointing campaign.

The main aim of the summit, which will see Mike Gordon, FSG’s most influential figure at Anfield, hold face-to-face talks with Rodgers, will be to learn from the mistakes that caused Liverpool to fail to win a trophy for a third successive season and miss out on Champions League qualification.

High on the agenda will be the need to address the disconnect between transfer strategy and team selection, with FSG hoping Rodgers is ready to convince them of his willingness to persevere with several signings who have yet to make the desired impact.

Rodgers’s lack of faith in a number of the players Liverpool signed last summer has become increasingly obvious in recent months with Lazar Markovic, Rickie Lambert, Mario Balotelli, Javier Manquillo, Alberto Moreno and Dejan Lovren all struggling to establish themselves to an extent.

While there is an acceptance that some of last summer’s acquisitions, Balotelli and Lambert in particular, left Rodgers short of the kind of options he needs, there is also a feeling within Liverpool’s hierarchy that such failings do not justify a season of underachievement after investing about £110 million in players.

This year, Tom Werner, the Liverpool chairman, said that it was “important” to maintain Liverpool’s mid-season momentum and achieve a top-four finish, admitting it would be a “disappointment” if those objectives were not reached. In the event, neither target has been reached with Liverpool winning only twice, against Newcastle United and Queens Park Rangers, in their past eight league games.

End-of-season reviews are standard practice for Liverpool under FSG’s ownership and although it is routine for the manager’s performance to be scrutinised, Rodgers will go into his latest assessment in the knowledge that Liverpool have fallen short of the place in the top four that was viewed as the minimum acceptable requirement at the start of this season.

Although there is no sense that Rodgers will, in effect, be auditioning again for a position he already occupies, FSG is looking to him to show them that it remains on the same page going forward and to justify its belief that he is the right manager to implement the model it remains confident can allow Liverpool to become consistently competitive at home and abroad.

In keeping with that aim, Liverpool remain determined to keep Raheem Sterling regardless of the winger’s growing desire to leave, with Manchester City understood to be preparing an offer that would make him one of their highest-paid players.

That position will be reaffirmed when Sterling’s agent, Aidy Ward, holds talks with Rodgers and Ian Ayre, Liverpool’s chief executive, on Friday. At the meeting, which is taking place at Ward’s request, he is expected to inform Liverpool of his client’s wish to secure a transfer this summer but the Merseysiders will not sanction any departure.

Liverpool remain hopeful that they will be able to convince the England forward to commit his future to them regardless of his agitation to move, although that position does seem optimistic given the indications emerging from Sterling’s camp suggesting he wishes to leave at the earliest possible opportunity.

From Barrett's articles appears that there is no hope.

We'd be better prepare ourselves for more shit seasons, at least until FSG decide that their commodity has matured and it is the right time to sell.

'Fuck is this Tom?' ''Its a Trophy H just smile for the camera' 'Can we sell it?' '.....Just smile for the camera H'

tom-henry.jpg?w=720

Hickster @Si_Hickster  ·

• Upvote 1

High on the agenda will be the need to address the disconnect between transfer strategy and team selection, with FSG hoping Rodgers is ready to convince them of his willingness to persevere with several signings who have yet to make the desired impact.

Rodgers’s lack of faith in a number of the players Liverpool signed last summer has become increasingly obvious

Rodgers has bought badly and wasted a lot of FSG cash. You don't need a 150 page dossier for that.

You know, you kid but I reckon we actually have pretty good personnel to suit a Rafa-managed style.

Can - Carvalho

Ibe - Coutinho - Sterling

Sturridge

I reckon we'd see absolutely ridiculous stats from Coutinho in that kind of lineup.

Just needs a Carvalho or some other destroyer in CM and maybe a better player than Ibe/Markovic so those are the players on the bench. Though if Rafa can get us 2nd with a good-but-not-great Riera playing almost every game, he could probably do it with Ibe and Markovic.

No room for the club captain in there.

I guess that means more Lallana and Lovren then. Perhaps even an extra dose of Balotelli.

Fuck me sideways.

"implement the model it remains confident can allow Liverpool to become consistently competitive at home and abroad."

Where is their evidence that this model works, has worked or ever will work? 

Our only hope as I see it is that they sell up and use the excuse of FFP not being fully implemented as they naively assumed it would be, which is actually now looking more and more like a convenient reason for not investing in our future and sanctioning the wages we need to keep and get the best players, as does their wonderful 'model'. 

These guys are like the rich dudes who never fully put their hand in their pocket to pay for that party to end all parties, and instead they just give you more of what you could already have got with your money. Fosters all round guys ! Drink up, this is great isn't it? No John it's not. 

I just hope they sell us before they smash us on the rocks of mediocrity and we're done for good. 

Stuck with a magnificent captain who can only sail the ship in fair seas and nothing but stormy weather ahead. Strap yourselves in boys, it's going to be a total shit typhoon from here on in.

No room for the club captain in there.

I would make Coutinho the captain, honestly.  Shake it up a bit.  I'm still hopeful Henderson will be more of a "really good 3rd option" who gets 20 starts and another 20 appearances off the bench next season than a first XI midfielder.  

But not that hopeful, to be honest.  Our first choice midfield next season will probably be Henderson and Milner, with Allen in reserve.  8th place, here we come.

Although FSG has no intention of dispensing with Rodgers’s services, the outcome of the meeting will be pivotal in determining how the club goes about addressing the failings that have resulted in such a disappointing campaign.

The main aim of the summit, which will see Mike Gordon, FSG’s most influential figure at Anfield, hold face-to-face talks with Rodgers, will be to learn from the mistakes that caused Liverpool to fail to win a trophy for a third successive season and miss out on Champions League qualification.

The problem that I see is that this is Brendan's strength.  He'll walk in with a dossier of how everything is the committee's fault, he hasn't made any mistakes and by the time he leaves Henry will be handing him 180k/week to ensure Milner chooses us over Arsenal.

Brendan is actually really good at the boardroom politics part of the job, it's why he got the job in the first place even when he refused to work with a DOF. It's just too bad he's not that great at the spotting of talent and the managing of the players during games, which are a lot more important.

And I should note I think he might eventually be a great manager.  It's just that he's still learning and right now he's average.  But not when it comes to convincing an owner in a boardroom meeting to give him what he wants, he's already ace at that.

Rodgers’s lack of faith in a number of the players Liverpool signed last summer has become increasingly obvious in recent months with Lazar Markovic, Rickie Lambert, Mario Balotelli, Javier Manquillo, Alberto Moreno and Dejan Lovren all struggling to establish themselves to an extent.

While there is an acceptance that some of last summer’s acquisitions, Balotelli and Lambert in particular, left Rodgers short of the kind of options he needs, there is also a feeling within Liverpool’s hierarchy that such failings do not justify a season of underachievement after investing about £110 million in players.

Clear implication in that piece is that Rodgers had little to do with the signings.

If that's the case the first question I'd be asking Mike Gordon at that meeting is 'OK Mike you syrup-wearing cunt, considering that you're a baseball team owner who has no experience of 'soccer' whatsoever other than as a tv fan, can you please explain to me in words of one syllable what the fuck you think you know about, well anything basically?'

Second question would be 'assuming the answer to the first question is 'nothing', on your way out will you please tell Mike Edwards that I'd like a word?'

Investing £110 million in players means nothing at all on its own.  We could buy all of West Ham's squad with that money, so fucking what.  It's who you spend it on, how much of it goes on wages compared to fees and who is picking them that's important.

I do believe that we could have done far more this season with what we did have but that doesn't change the fact that if the manager is being hamstrung by the transfer set-up we're fucked to a degree no matter who is in charge.

• Upvote 1

That position will be reaffirmed when Sterling’s agent, Aidy Ward, holds talks with Rodgers and Ian Ayre, Liverpool’s chief executive, on Friday. At the meeting, which is taking place at Ward’s request, he is expected to inform Liverpool of his client’s wish to secure a transfer this summer but the Merseysiders will not sanction any departure.

That would be an even shorter meeting.

'So Ian, Brendan, thanks for agreeing to see me.  OK I've spoken to Raheem earlier and...'

'Sorry to interrupt you Aidy, quick question'

'Sure Brendan, anything'

'Can I fuck your mum?'

'I'm, err... sorry, err...'

'Yes or no Aidy?  Can I stunt-fuck her?  Can I clatter her up the dirtbox like I hate her?'

'...'

OK thanks for coming in Aidy, you can see yourself out.'