You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

Anyone suggesting Joe Allen has not flopped is suffering from the same loss of undertanding as to what our club should look like on the football field as Brendan Rodgers.

Or they have a perfectly good understanding and it differs from yours.

By gads, I think I've cracked this!

Just had a thought, the everton backline scored more goals than us ( evertons backline scored more than us stu, stu, stu?.....) so Lets go and buy all the everton defenders and play them up front. Hope i havent let slip rodgers tactical plan for next season but I reckn hes onto this opportunity.

Hey if he signed mario and expected anything why not silvan distan up front? Mario made collymore look like a, come back collymore you scored goals and won a cup BEFORE you had a total meltdownpiltdownman and swapped ulrikka for a car window. Smashed them in didnt he?

Quick someone lean into marios car window and give him a wank (oooh yeh gizzabirra tha willy der la) I think it may help bring him back, after a few minutes rigour instead of semen Im told he produces a seasons worth of goals and assists and I dont mean assisted hearing I mean performances.

Its like releiving a dog for an old lady i mean ooh err

Allen is a decent squad player but he wasn't signed to be a decent squad player. Rodgers wanted to build his midfield around him and bigged him up ridiculously when he took over which did the lad no favours as he was an easy whipping boy for our terrible start under Rodgers. He was his number one target when he came here, the player he wanted above all else.

He had a budget of £30m when he took over for that window and spent half of it on Allen straight away and said how he'd have happily spent a lot more to get him. Now he's a bit part player in the worst midfield we've had in a long time.

Quite right, he was Rodgers' Xavi Alonso.

Joe Allen is a decent player. He keeps the ball moving, makes himself available for a pass, is usually accurate with his passing, and he gets his foot in - never a robust player, but he does have a habit of breaking up the play by nicking the ball off the toe of a direct opponent. 

I think he has been hampered by injuries and never really had the sort of run that would see him become more established in the side. The other hindrance has of course been the constant chopping and changing, both in personnel and systems, throughout the whole team. 

I'm not about to suggest Joe Allen is the world's best midfielder, but he's not been a flop as such, even if he hasn't been able to consistently show what he can do. 

• Upvote 1

Allen has been a poor buy. Always seems injured has as many bad games as good ones with the odd standout one. My word how our standards have fallen. his nick name should be straws because he's made of them and we clutch at them. Everybody clutch at straws, he can be bothersome to players in possesion now and then. I say fuck allen... Fuck em all. Except coutinho who actually looks like a player you want to keep because his ability level looks like it can go much higher. I'm just fed up, we are wank. The clubs "model" seems insanely retarded. Let's be cleverer than other clubs by spending a fortune on 8 shite squad players every summer.

• Upvote 2

Joe Allen is a decent player. He keeps the ball moving, makes himself available for a pass, is usually accurate with his passing, and he gets his foot in - never a robust player, but he does have a habit of breaking up the play by nicking the ball off the toe of a direct opponent. 

I think he has been hampered by injuries and never really had the sort of run that would see him become more established in the side. The other hindrance has of course been the constant chopping and changing, both in personnel and systems, throughout the whole team. 

I'm not about to suggest Joe Allen is the world's best midfielder, but he's not been a flop as such, even if he hasn't been able to consistently show what he can do. 

I'd agree with this.

I like Joe. He rarely hides and gives the impression that he is trying his best

Unfortunately, his best isn't up to the standard we should be aiming for.

He's a decent Premiership MF, that's it

He wouldn't get into any of the top 4's midfield as he isn't good enough

I wouldn't label him a flop as such just an uninspired and expensive buy who was never going to live up to their billing

We need a statement from FSG immediately after the game at Stoke.

That way we can close this fucking thread one way or another.

Rather than arguing on here we should open a book on it...would be a lot more fun.

I'll have a tenner on him staying.

I'd eat my own shit if he wasn't here at the start of next season

(I wouldn't really do this, it's just an expression)

I'd eat my own shit if he wasn't here at the start of next season

(I wouldn't really do this, it's just an expression)

I'd rather eat my own shit than watch a team devoid of passion, balance, quality, tactics, a defence, a midfield & a strike force that we may see if Rodgers is still here next season. (I would really do this, it's not just an expression) as I'm severely pissed off with what I've witnessed this season.

• Upvote 2

Is right, Aspas is a flop, Borini is a flop etc

Allen is at worst an underperformer or disappointment. To call him a flop is to not understand either the word, player or both.

If we play a midfield three he has to be the middle of the three because he isn't very good at defending or attacking. Unfortunately for him, Henderson and Can are also best in that position, and better footballers.

Ideally we'd get rid of Allen because he isn't good enough, but with Gerrard leaving, and probably Lucas as well, he'll have to stay as we aren't going to buy two/three/four top central midfielders this summer. In fact, we probably won't buy any.

In other news Martin Samuel thinks Benitez is the man West Ham want to take them to the next level and lead them into their 50k stadium.

Will they be joining us for the 5th-7th place challenge under Rodgers and FSG?.

They'll be overtaking us in a few years if we persist in our moribund state with the likes of Rodgers, Pascoe, Ayre and faceless committees while FSG show their true ambitions by the won-nothing snake oil salesman they trust to run things. Par will end up being 7th.

Spurs and West Ham will be more competitive when they move into their new stadiums and have the lure of London to attract players/managers/investors and can charge through the nose to get into their swanky new stadiums. We're only 5th now by default because every team below us has been that bad bar probably Southampton who sold their team off last summer, half of them to us.

Or we could actually start acting like a football club worthy of our name.

• Upvote 1

Rather than arguing on here we should open a book on it...would be a lot more fun.

They always back them not long before they sack them so fingers crossed.

Only fair,

Rodgers seems to have sacked LFC.

They'll wait until the now legendary annual post season review to be held at a as yet unannounced US holiday location.

Rodgers will be judged solely on the quality of his PowerPoint presentation. Kenny fell foul of this, so Rodgers graphic design skills better be top notch if he wants to continue in the job. 

They'll wait until the now legendary annual post season review to be held at a as yet unannounced US holiday location.

Rodgers will be judged solely on the quality of his PowerPoint presentation. Kenny fell foul of his, so Rodgers graphic design skills better be top notch if he wants to continue in the job. 

They like the odd animation the Yanks.  And sound.  They've always been regarded as gauche over here, but like velour upholstery, it still goes well over there.

Agreed I'm confident Rodgers will stay but I'm pissed at the owners for not coming out already and killing this speculation.It needs to be ended one way or another after Stoke.

Spot on.

I can't make my mind up. Losing Sturridge for most of the season and one of the best players in the world in Suarez hasn't helped matters, we'd have got Champions Leaggue if Sturridge was fit in my opinion. Probably quite comfortably.

But we also still look a shambles at the back, although I'm sure things would be better if we bought anyone other than Lovren and Flanno was fit. There's also the small matter of whether he knows what he's doing in the transfer market, though again I think the comittee isn't helping. If it even exists, which I think it does judging on some of our signings over the years.

If Klopp, Pellegrini or Ancelotti fancied it though (probably more chance of a rimjob off the pope) I'd get rid. I reckon if he was to go we'd probably go for a Sherwood, AVB or Karanka though so yeah, I still don't know.

• Upvote 1

I think this is a serious results driven business with these owners. They were not scared to give Kenny the bullet so noone is safe. I seriously think champions league qualification is the minimum they expect considering the financial implications. Regardless of who we are competing with I am sure Rodgers knows that that is his target. I think they will bin him. Not sure if it is the correct decision but I think the cash from Champions League is central to the business plan and he failed to deliver with satisfactory backing. 

If we play a midfield three he has to be the middle of the three because he isn't very good at defending or attacking. Unfortunately for him, Henderson and Can are also best in that position, and better footballers.

Ideally we'd get rid of Allen because he isn't good enough, but with Gerrard leaving, and probably Lucas as well, he'll have to stay as we aren't going to buy two/three/four top central midfielders this summer. In fact, we probably won't buy any.

Saying Can and Henderson are better then him raised a smile, Henderson has been dog shit since the easy pass to Suarez is gone and I've yet to see Can have a strong game in midfield for us.

If we go 433 Allen would be excellent in the role where he is allowed to attack and defend, I'm sure if Rafa was to come in Allen would be an ever present in his team.

Those saying he's been a disappointment I assume are using the same logic they do with Lallana, they've been disaponitng because they've been out injured for periods but when they've had a decent run they have showed their ability.

• Downvote 1

For me the answer to the OP comes to trust.

Do I trust the board to give Brendan the amount of cash needed to resurrect this squad?

Will last summer's transfer failings turn it around under Brendan's leadership?

Does he have the tactical ability to take on the managerial heavyweights of the premier league and win?

Do I trust him to turn the club around?

For me the answer to all above is No.

I think he'll get until Christmas next season.

A lot of our fans seem to have adopted a Newcastle fans view on football this season, there's a saying Rome wasn't built in a day.

Lovren and Balotelli were bad signings but I wouldn't write the rest off yet like most seem to be doing with players who haven't even joined the squad yet.

You say he can't compete tactically when it comes to playing the big clubs but facts show you are wrong.

My answer would be yes to every question but that doesn't include players like Balotelli or Lambert as they won't be here.

I think this is a serious results driven business with these owners. They were not scared to give Kenny the bullet so noone is safe. I seriously think champions league qualification is the minimum they expect considering the financial implications. Regardless of who we are competing with I am sure Rodgers knows that that is his target. I think they will bin him. Not sure if it is the correct decision but I think the cash from Champions League is central to the business plan and he failed to deliver with satisfactory backing. 

This is one of the reasons I believe he's on very shaky ground.  There is little to suggest that Rodgers can arrest the slide with the existing players, and little faith - from most - that he will be able to resolve our issues through the acquisition of new players.  The owners may not want to invest to compete at the top, but I do believe that they think their investment warrants a top four place.  The minute the slide marking our performance over the course of the season is displayed, is the minute the awkward questions start.  And I'm not sure Brendan's responses will get much of a sympathetic hearing.