You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

For me the answer to the OP comes to trust.

Do I trust the board to give Brendan the amount of cash needed to resurrect this squad?

Will last summer's transfer failings turn it around under Brendan's leadership?

Does he have the tactical ability to take on the managerial heavyweights of the premier league and win?

Do I trust him to turn the club around?

For me the answer to all above is No.

I think he'll get until Christmas next season.

Gerrard offered Roy Hodgson as an example of how quickly it can go sour at Anfield, but equally he will know that Hodgson took over in fallow times. Liverpool had finished seventh, 23 points off league champions Chelsea. Hodgson inherited a club on the slide.

This season? If Chelsea beat West Bromwich Albion tonight they will be 25 points clear of Liverpool, with a game to play. Hodgson’s Liverpool team had finished the previous season with a goal difference of 26; Liverpool’s is currently nine.

Shocking stat right there.

I think that if Rodgers stays he will be out by Christmas if we continue as we have done. The fantasy that Sturridge will ever play near to a full season should be put to rest too.

We are going to be competing for players with the likes of Chelsea,City,United and Arsenal and I'm not convinced many will be persuaded by Brendan Rodgers to sign for us over them.

He is a dead man walking even though I expect him to still be here for next season.

Blame the hairy gorilla Martin Samuel, i didnt check that to be fair.

We finished on 26 under Rafa so that's what it probably means. But it's Samuel and he'll do anything to big up Hodgson so it isnt surprising. 

• Upvote 1

Gerrard offered Roy Hodgson as an example of how quickly it can go sour at Anfield, but equally he will know that Hodgson took over in fallow times. Liverpool had finished seventh, 23 points off league champions Chelsea. Hodgson inherited a club on the slide.

This season? If Chelsea beat West Bromwich Albion tonight they will be 25 points clear of Liverpool, with a game to play. Hodgson’s Liverpool team had finished the previous season with a goal difference of 26; Liverpool’s is currently nine.

Shocking stat right there.

Rodgers previous team finished the season with a goal difference of +50.

Strange point to make by Samuel.

Hes fucking shit i told yaz even before we got him but you folks were all blinded by the dazzle of rodgball and moneyball and glad dalglish and rafa got sacked while pretending ya didnt support hodgson the stable hand.

Listen next fucking time, save us all a few years chasing wild geese hoping for golden eggs good for gandering. Pillox.

Hes fucking shit i told yaz even before we got him but you folks were all blinded by the dazzle of rodgball and moneyball and glad dalglish and rafa got sacked while pretending ya didnt support hodgson the stable hand.

Listen next fucking time, save us all a few years chasing wild geese hoping for golden eggs good for gandering. Pillox.

The tooth hurts folks.

• Upvote 2

The managers most important role is buying and selling players.

Brendan has failed miserably in this regard

I think most agree this team is going nowhere without fresh blood and a clearout

So what evidence exists the Brendan is the right man for that job.

I go back to his first purchases - borini and allen - expensive flops and - more to the point - two players he knew well. That was the first evidence that Brendan does not know how to identify a top player really.

• Upvote 2

The managers most important role is buying and selling players.

Brendan has failed miserably in this regard

I think most agree this team is going nowhere without fresh blood and a clearout

So what evidence exists the Brendan is the right man for that job.

I go back to his first purchases - borini and allen - expensive flops and - more to the point - two players he knew well. That was the first evidence that Brendan does not know how to identify a top player really.

Allen isn't a flop.  I think he's better than Henderson, but he hasn't been used well.  No-one is going to stand up and defend Borini, and I agree generally with your view of Rodgers.  

A lot of people will hold the view if Rodgers stays next season it is a clear indication of the lack of ambition from the owners.

If you've been under the illusion that the club will spend enough money to guarantee us a tilt at the league, then welcome to the world.  We all know that's not the club's intention.  The only question is whether Rodgers can identify and sign the best that we can get for the money available, and whether he can get the most out of the inevitably inferior resources at his disposal.  The answer to both of those questions is almost certainly 'no'.

If you've been under the illusion that the club will spend enough money to guarantee us a tilt at the league, then welcome to the world.  We all know that's not the club's intention.  The only question is whether Rodgers can identify and sign the best that we can get for the money available, and whether he can get the most out of the inevitably inferior resources at his disposal.  The answer to both of those questions is almost certainly 'no'.

My comment was more that disgruntlement will end up being directed at the owners.

You are starting to see a mixture of apathy and quiet murmurings that are growing.

As I said previously there is an unwritten obligation that fans tend to expect.

My own view is the owners are what they are, lifelong Liverpool supporters here to win stuff...

Just find it bizarre that some people will call a player that was about £15m and is, at worst, a handy squad player that can put in the odd great performance an expensive flop.

Agree,we've not done too badly in regards to Allen.

Allen is a decent squad player but he wasn't signed to be a decent squad player. Rodgers wanted to build his midfield around him and bigged him up ridiculously when he took over which did the lad no favours as he was an easy whipping boy for our terrible start under Rodgers. He was his number one target when he came here, the player he wanted above all else.

He had a budget of £30m when he took over for that window and spent half of it on Allen straight away and said how he'd have happily spent a lot more to get him. Now he's a bit part player in the worst midfield we've had in a long time.