You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

For half a season he was.

I think it's too simplistic to say that Suarez was the only reason for last season when he was brilliant the year before yet the team struggled.

There are loads of factors, some within BR's control and others not.

He's had a really bad few weeks and would be lucky to keep his job in my opinion (I think he will).

26 goals from set pieces last year, 6 so far this year. If you look back we normally average between 11 and 14. Missing 5 or so this year may have made the difference in a few games getting an extra dozen last year definitely had a positive impact in where we finished. 

For the most part I would say a big drop off or one time doubling of our set piece total has to be down to a bit of luck good or bad, didn't Skrtel alone have 6 goals last year which probably all came from set pieces? 

We managed 50 goals from open play in each of Rodgers' first 2 years (looking back we've averaged 35-40 before with Dalglish's last year producing a dismal 24). We've 34 to this point a fit Sturridge or half-arsed Balotelli should have been able to come close to another 14-16. Throw in a bit more luck on set pieces over our poor return of 6 and we might well be in 3rd or even 2nd. 

There is reason not to be utterly depressed about next year.

Take off the games against each other and we have done exactly the same this season against all the other sides as Swansea. 56 points from 35 games.

That is a barometer of where we are and it just can't be allowed to slide after spending what we have.

If you take off some other games we're in the relegation zone.

Scary that's where we are right now.

Dark times.

If he's here next year i'm zoning out, him, Ayre and FSG have took the soul out of this football club, it's sense of identity. Now we're just a prop to generate commercial deals for the end goal of generating a profit upon sale. The dunkin donuts contracts and third party sponsorship deals are more important than the actual team on the pitch.

It's ironic that he said "You can live 3 days without water, but you can't live for a second without hope" because that's the one ingredient that we don't have anymore, hope. At least with Kenny, Rafa and Houllier even at the back end there was hope that we could come out of it, a sense of belief. There is nothing with this team, this transfer strategy, the people in charge and their idea of the club. They are floating us as 'also rans' whilst blowing smoke up our arse banging on about our illustrious past, like they're going to get us back there. They are banking the pounds, dollars and euro's off our name and tradition without contributing squat to it.

It's really an embarrasement when you have 20 year old's telling us that our ambition as a football club isn't good enough for where they see themselves. We had one chance at the big time and we sold it for £63m. Best £63m Barcelona ever spent and that's the difference between a club that actually wants to win honours and a club that hypothesizes about doing it.

What i can't get my head around is these people in charge must actually think they can get to the top by selling our best players and then just use a scattergun approach to signings whereby you have to be either 20 years old with 20 games experience in some far flung league, or a mid twenties one season wonder. It's mental, the strategy is mental, the concept is mental and the execution of it even manages to draw more ridicule because we are horrible at implementing the strategy that WE created.

I agree with all that - but I don't think they actually want to get to the top. Getting to the top doesn't make you money in the short term. We will be sold as soon as it is commercially the best time

The scary thing is the shite he's going to sign when we don't even have CL football to offer.

I mean, last season's business was bad enough. You would get better results opening a random packet of Panini stickers and signing everyone in that, even if it was the St Mirren left back, Huddersfield Town and a foil Heart of Midlothian badge.

• Upvote 2

Steve Nicol, Steve Mcmahon want him replaced. Depends who you shut your ears too.

Gerrard an undoubted legend that he is, wanted Alan Curbishley as manager at one point. people are entitled to their opinions.

And with no trophies, no champions league football and well over £200+ million spent in 3 years, i would like to see him replaced.

As for pressure. It comes with managing Liverpool football club.

I mentioned them two a few weeks ago and they are in the same category as fans who think anything less then first is failure, I remember Nicol being critical of Rafa when we were winning the champions league.

Gerrard suggesting a manager to take over is different then talking about what he thinks of a manager he is currently working under.

If you can't handle other people's opinions, you want an echo chamber not a football forum JermainePennant.

It's fair enough having an opinion and I'm not being critical of those fans yet but we are near the end of the season, if that continues through the summer and at the start of next season it will not be helping anyone connected with or supporting the club.

If you take off some other games we're in the relegation zone.

Scary that's where we are right now.

Dark times.

Behave - fact is that we have performed at exactly the same level as Swansea have against all the other teams in this league and that isn't acceptable.

35 games against the same teams and we are equal to Swansea...

Although I wouldn't take away from what Rodgers achieved last season, it never made sense and I could never work out just how we achieved what we did, we were still deeply flawed, and although we played some top attacking football at times, we were appalling at the back and our squad was threadbare. The whole thing seemed so much more than the sum of its parts and defied the laws of football physics.

Behave - fact is that we have performed at exactly the same level as Swansea have against all the other teams in this league and that isn't acceptable.

35 games against the same teams and we are equal to Swansea...

To be fair I remember you saying exactly the same about Utd last week when it put us on the same points.

You don't need to go picking weird selective reasons to criticise this season. We are where we are.

If we get the transfer window right, and early, I'm sure there will be a little more optimism regardless of who the manager is.

I reckon so. Personally I think buying the right players is the biggest factor in success. Nobody wins the league on tactics and philosophy alone, buying players that improve your side moves you up the table. We could of spent the same money on less than half the amount of players we've bought over the years and been twice the side. It's a total mindfuck that people at the club can't see that our current approach to transfers is terrible. I don't trust Rodgers to sign players, I think he has far too much faith in his ability to improve players that he will spend big money on average players he thinks he can elevate. I also believe the parameters it seems we have when it comes to buying players set by FSG and how we have negotiated deals the last few years totally undermine our chances of success. At this point our ambitions of being clever were others can afford to be stupid have turned out to be comedic.

• Upvote 1

To be fair I remember you saying exactly the same about Utd last week when it put us on the same points.

You don't need to go picking weird selective reasons to criticise this season. We are where we are.

I genuinely don't recall that but either way it's just been wholly unacceptable this season....depressing to watch and a big mess that needs sorting out, one which I have no faith in the manager and those around him sorting.

It's fair enough having an opinion and I'm not being critical of those fans yet but we are near the end of the season, if that continues through the summer and at the start of next season it will not be helping anyone connected with or supporting the club.

Stalin would be proud of you. I hope you keep your opinions of Sterling to yourself young man. If Rodgers isnt sacked, I'll be wondering what the fuck is going on in FSG's collective brain and I'll proabably say as much in order not to let Tony Moanera down.

I reckon so. Personally I think buying the right players is the biggest factor in success. Nobody wins the league on tactics and philosophy alone, buying players that improve your side moves you up the table. We could of spent the same money on less than half the amount of players we've bought over the years and been twice the side. It's a total mindfuck that people at the club can't see that our current approach to transfers is terrible. I don't trust Rodgers to sign players, I think he has far too much faith in his ability to improve players that he will spend big money on average players he thinks he can elevate. I also believe the parameters it seems we have when it comes to buying players set by FSG and how we have negotiated deals the last few years totally undermine our chances of success. At this point our ambitions of being clever were others can afford to be stupid have turned out to be comedic.

Yep, and you know what? I don't think we've ever had such an important transfer window and I don't think I've ever felt less confident in our ability to step up to the task.

For me, this season has been one the worst I can remember & I had my season ticket under Souness. if The Hodge would have stayed a full season, that would have been only slightly worse. Uninspiring, dull shit. Lack of fight, quality & just really really bad management. 3 years, about 200m spend & only 2 players, 1 of which is fucked, that you could class as a success. Not good enough. I've got 2 feet on the Rodgers out bandwagon now. He simply has to go. He's fucked up. Badly. Nice enough fella, but not good enough to take us on

• Upvote 1

I think the only way we can gauge FSG as competent owners is by seeing a summer of transfer activity under a new manager.

As it stands many of us have reservations about FSG but while Rodgers Is in charge they know that they can eek another season of limited investment because they have the trick in the bag of sacking rodgers in summer 2016 and then bringing in another manager, and of course they know we will give that manager a good year before once again we start complaining about limited investments.

I don't think it's just down to transfers.  I feel he can't set the team up to get the most out of the players he has.  We often look unbalanced front to back.  I don't see any huge motivation amongst the team.  I don't see any leadership.  

So we're asking for a miracle - a couple of world class players - ready to hit the ground running - purchased in the summer transfer window. A leader, motivator and organiser who will from day one command the respect of his teammates and the opposition.  And a balanced and effective team setup.  

Will it happen?  Unlikely.  But I know it won't happen without a new manager.

“I wouldn’t buy any more potential in the short term, I would buy players that are ready to come and fight and be successful,” said Gerrard before what is sure to be an emotional farewell against Crystal Palace.

“To get into the top four you need strikers who can score 25-30 goals a season. That is just the way it is. That is where we came short this season. I obviously don’t want to stand on the owners’ or Brendan’s toes – I am just speaking as a fan and having an opinion on where Liverpool are at this moment – but that is what we need to do. We need to bring players in those forward positions that can score 25-30 goals and you will see Liverpool do an awful lot better next season.” SG.

I don't think it's just down to transfers.  I feel he can't set the team up to get the most out of the players he has.  We often look unbalanced front to back.  I don't see any huge motivation amongst the team.  I don't see any leadership.  

So we're asking for a miracle - a couple of world class players - ready to hit the ground running - purchased in the summer transfer window. A leader, motivator and organiser who will from day one command the respect of his teammates and the opposition.  And a balanced and effective team setup.  

• Upvote 1

It won't happen unless we actually change who we target, Rodgers or not.

Yeah, just like they did with Hodgson. Should never have sacked him.

That's not how I remember it and I've seen some on twitter saying similar that Gerrard and others were backing Hodgson to stay like he is with BR now.

The way I remember it he got behind him when appointed but wasn't saying he should stay towards the end, if anyone has any quotes that prove me wrong feel free.