You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

You are mistaking competitiveness for quality.

A simple question. Benitez side in 08/09 vs Rodgers side 13/14.

Who would win?

Benitez 08-09 team would rip it apart.

I don't think anyone remembers how bad the league was last year, that's how we almost won it.

You were talking about the "pounds to miss" ratio. Well City knock it out of the park on that I'm afraid. They've fucking poured it down the drain left, right and centre. 

We've had loads of hits too. That Uruguayan lad we had in particular. Mignolet, Sakho, Can, Henderson, Sturridge, Coutinho, Allen - all very decent business for the money. 

This very much boils down to you holding us to a standard that you don't seem to hold other clubs to, and being way harsher on us than them. It's the "We're shit at corners" syndrome where you think you're the only team that hits the front man all the time because you don't watch the shit other people have to put up with. Even Coutinho has to come with a rider! He can't be considered a success! Fucking hell mate, how stingy with the praise is that?

If you're considering Joe Allen as "very decent business for the money" then somebody could go through a much longer list for City in the same period.

• Upvote 1

Benitez 08-09 team would rip it apart.

I don't think anyone remembers how bad the league was last year, that's how we almost won it.

08/09 was a top wide player away from being a complete team with everyone fit. Unfortunately Gerrard and Torres missed a lot of games that season and then the team was ripped up piece by piece starting with Alonso and Arbeloa.

Last season was mostly about Suarez and Sturridge outscoring teams. The Keegan/Ardiles-esque end-to-end football would have been ripped apart on the counter from that Liverpool side or the Manc team of Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez that won the league that we beat twice that season while they still got 90 points and reached the CL final.

The league was bad last season. United were a shambles and an average Arsenal team were top for a lot of it.

• Upvote 2

08/09 was a top wide player away from being a complete team with everyone fit. Unfortunately Gerrard and Torres missed a lot of games that season and then the team was ripped up piece by piece starting with Alonso and Arbeloa.Last season was mostly about Suarez and Sturridge outscoring teams. The Keegan/Ardiles-esque end-to-end football would have been ripped apart on the counter from that Liverpool side or the Manc team of Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez that won the league that we beat twice that season while they still got 90 points and reached the CL final.The league was bad last season. United were a shambles and an average Arsenal team were top for a lot of it.

I think the league has been pretty shite this year aswell, Chelsea and arsenal have improved and City much of a muchness while Utd and us have been average over the course, the fact Utd have had massive defensive problems/injuries all season along with big money signings not working out yet STILL finishing above us is fucking grim

• Upvote 1

Can anybody be bothered arguing anymore with the utter bellends who keep trying to denigrate everything the current manager does, even going so far as to ridicule the league to try and play down how good we were last season. It's really strange

• Upvote 6

Can anybody be bothered arguing anymore with the utter bellends who keep trying to denigrate everything the current manager does, even going so far as to ridicule the league to try and play down how good we were last season. It's really strange

moofy knows.

Rodgers stays, they'll be moaning. Rodgers goes, they'll be moaning about his replacement.

• Upvote 1

Can anyone be bothered arguing anymore with the utter bellends who keep trying to denigrate everything previous managers achieved, even going so far as to try and ridicule past leagues to try and play down those achievements? It really is strange.

Easy this, isn't it Moofy?

• Upvote 2

If you're considering Joe Allen as "very decent business for the money" then somebody could go through a much longer list for City in the same period.

Jairz, if you disagree on Allen then fair enough, it hardly voids the point does it?

I'd be amazed if you think that City have had a better "pounds per hits" ratio than we have. They've bought about one first team player in the last three seasons despite, still throwing hundreds of millions at it.

As I say, if we'd have brought in a CB for £40m and a fortune in wages and he'd been the car crash Mangala had someone would be hanging from the rafters at Anfield. They spent just under £250m on Mangala, Jovetic, Negredo, Navas, Rodwell, Sinclair, Garcia, Savic, Balotelli, Robinho and Adebayor. Before you even get into wages. Or into other fringe players like Kolarov or Milner who plenty of our fans would be giving dogs abuse to for costing what he did and not being a nailed on starter every week.

The idea that we waste money better then anyone else is very much debatable.

Jairz, if you disagree on Allen then fair enough, it hardly voids the point does it?

I'd be amazed if you think that City have had a better "pounds per hits" ratio than we have. They've bought about one first team player in the last three seasons despite, still throwing hundreds of millions at it.

As I say, if we'd have brought in a CB for £40m and a fortune in wages and he'd been the car crash Mangala had someone would be hanging from the rafters at Anfield. They spent just under £250m on Mangala, Jovetic, Negredo, Navas, Rodwell, Sinclair, Garcia, Savic, Balotelli, Robinho and Adebayor. Before you even get into wages. Or into other fringe players like Kolarov or Milner who plenty of our fans would be giving dogs abuse to for costing what he did and not being a nailed on starter every week.

The idea that we waste money better then anyone else is very much debatable.

I disagree on many of the others as well, but selected the worst of the players to make my point. I was hoping you'd pick up on that.

Savic cost £6m, so compare him to our use of £6m to sign Ilori. In fact, many of the players you've named are good players, and weren't even bought at particularly inflated fees.

We'd be giving dog's abuse to Kolarov? Fucking hell, he'd have been our best left back for about two decades.

Guest davelfc

I still think he will be here next season, I'd make a quick guess that only a few people on here would be unhappy to see him have us much improved with a settled squad and a fully fit capable strike force, those people should be on your ignore list.

The most ugly side of football on a forum is the bickering from both sides on a manager debate, makes religious freaks appear normal. Both sides on here have been absolute c***s and we should all look at ourselves and our behaviour. I've certainly had my opinions on some posters changed by their attitudes and arguments. In that my ignore list went from monty to busy. 

Today isn't about moaning about the manager etc, our season is basically over. Today is about being able to say goodbye to a legend. In my mind the second best player I've ever seen play for Liverpool. I'm off to sit in the sun in the main stand and say goodbye to our No.8. You all play nice. 

I disagree on many of the others as well, but selected the worst of the players to make my point. I was hoping you'd pick up on that.

Savic cost £6m, so compare him to our use of £6m to sign Ilori. In fact, many of the players you've named are good players, and weren't even bought at particularly inflated fees.

We'd be giving dog's abuse to Kolarov? Fucking hell, he'd have been our best left back for about two decades.

Think you're missing the point Jairz. They have paid big fees for them then had to bin them off because they weren't hits. The point isn't the hypothetical of what they "might" have done for us, it's what they did do for City (or in most of the cases didn't do for City).

The dogs abuse comment was about them signing lads that can't hold down a first team place. People who call the likes of Allen a "miss" would have to have some nerve to pretend they wouldn't be saying the same thing about lads that are mostly second choices for City and cost more. 

I just find the whole mindset hard to understand. You're going out of your way to defend City signings, saying they weren't inflated (despite the fact they never broke into the side and had to be shifted off) but yet you'll take issue with people on that list I put up as hits. It's just a really overly-critical stance if you ask me.

In Brendan Rodgers first season Luis Suarez scored 30 goals.

In Brendan Rodgers second season Luis Suarez scored 31 goals.

We won the sum total of fuck all.

In Rafa's first two seasons he won the European cup, and the FA Cup.

Rafa inherited Steven Gerrard and he scored 23 goals from right midfield. Then scored 24 goals playing behind Torres.

Winning player of the year both times.

In short Rafa inherited Gerrard and won stuff.

Rodgers inherited Suarez and won fuck all.

Oh and ten years ago we won the European Cup.

Also Gerrard wanted Alan Curbishley as boss.

Gerrard wanted Roy Hodgson as boss.

Gerrard wanted Robbie Keane.

Joe Cole was as good as Messi according to Gerrard.

So no it tells you fuck all because as great as Gerrard was he still could get all kinds wrong.

Great logic, because Gerrard judged a couple of signings wrong he can not work out who is a good manager by working under them.

Even if he did want them two managers hired which I have seen no proof of how does that prove him wrong when talking about BR considering he hadn't worked under them at that time, I don't see how a comparison can be made.

Yes Rafa won the cl in his first season but I don't get the comparison seeing as we weren't in it when BR was appointed.

I'm interested in your views of Kennys time here as you deem BR a failure for not winning something with Suarez scoring a lot of goals yet under Kenny he wasn't and we didn't finish above 6th.

Put simply. 

When it comes to attacking football, Brendan has a way more balls out mentality than Rafa, but when it comes to actually winning things regardless of the style of football, then Rafa is superior. Both nice guys, both have their flaws. 

It's all about timing. Right now I think the time is right for a change. 

Think you're missing the point Jairz. They have paid big fees for them then had to bin them off because they weren't hits. The point isn't the hypothetical of what they "might" have done for us, it's what they did do for City (or in most of the cases didn't do for City).

The dogs abuse comment was about them signing lads that can't hold down a first team place. People who call the likes of Allen a "miss" would have to have some nerve to pretend they wouldn't be saying the same thing about lads that are mostly second choices for City and cost more.

I just find the whole mindset hard to understand. You're going out of your way to defend City signings, saying they weren't inflated (despite the fact they never broke into the side and had to be shifted off) but yet you'll take issue with people on that list I put up as hits. It's just a really overly-critical stance if you ask me.

It'll come as no surprise to you that I think you're doing the opposite.

It'll come as no surprise to you that I think you're doing the opposite.

But the players I'm talking about are mostly playing in our first team and the players your talking up didn't make it at City and had to be moved on. If you're taking any sort of consistent and even-handed look at the transfers then I don't see how you can define one set as not being hits, then defend the others?

I deliberately took out players that many fans would argue about too. People would argue about the likes of Lallana or Fernando and Nastasic but I thought that list was pretty solid and fair.

Being the cunt I am, if I owned the club, I'd go out and hire a defensive manager, let him build a really solid, hard to break down and hard to beat side, and then fire his ass, and get a really attacking manager in to then let the team off the leash and add lots of attacking play. That way you have someone prepared to play exciting footy like Rodgers but you also force upon him a solid foundation that he seems incapable of building for himself.

If Rodgers stays then he should have to work with a defensive assistant. The situation is crying out for it really. 

Guest Super Sub

Being the cunt I am, if I owned the club, I'd go out and hire a defensive manager, let him build a really solid, hard to break down and hard to beat side, and then fire his ass, and get a really attacking manager in to then let the team off the leash and add lots of attacking play. That way you have someone prepared to play exciting footy like Rodgers but you also force upon him a solid foundation that he seems incapable of building for himself.

If Rodgers stays then he should have to work with a defensive assistant. The situation is crying out for it really.

Big Sam or Tony Pulis for Liverpool then?

• Upvote 2

Because those were the players mentioned.

Stu, this is a waste of time, we have massively different views on our transfer business, compared to City, or in isolation. I'm sure you're quite confident you're right and frankly I can't be fucked to analyse every single signing in detail again. Partly because it would be the 700th time and partly because it's sunny and we're about to have a BBQ.