You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

I have never understood the argument that because Brendan did very well in one very particular set of circumstances, he has earned the right to manage in a completely different set of circumstances.

I would argue that next season the circumstances will be similar to what they were last season, hence he has a higher probability of emulating that success.

Even domestically, you fucking idiot. The league was not harder when Man City were poor, Arsenal were spending fuck all, Man United were playing Alan Smith in central midfield, Chelsea were using Carlton Cole as a squad player and every team below the top 4 barely had an international footballer from a major footballing nation amongst them.

Again, what's the point of this line of reasoning? Even if it is true, it means nothing with regards to whether Rodgers is worth keeping or not or whether Rafa is worth bringing back or not.

It's a pointless discussion. Nothing to get in a tizzy over.

Benitez used to get slaughtered on here and people said he never bought well. I don't think that was the case at all with him to be honest.

Aquilani and Keane left a bad taste, and Rafa strangely was really bad at buying squad players, if a player cost around 6 or 7 mil they'd usually be shit, but his marquee signings were usually top drawer. If Rafa had ever been given the Caroll, Henderson and Downing money to spend in one transfer window the mind boggles at what he could have bought with it. 

Rafa's signings usually made sense too. People weren't happy about us going after Barry but you could see what he was trying to do, play him on the left of a midfield three to tighten things up. 

Contrast this with the way the likes of Leillana get played (or not played). 

Aquilani and Keane left a bad taste, and Rafa strangely was really bad at buying squad players, if a player cost around 6 or 7 mil they'd usually be shit, but his marquee signings were usually top drawer. If Rafa had ever been given the Caroll, Henderson and Downing money to spend in one transfer window the mind boggles at what he could have bought with it. 

Oh I agree with you, he did buy really good players, I just don't agree with the notion that a managers transfer business generally buys him more time. People are just impatient and once things go awry faith will be lost in the manager regardless of track record. It's just the way it is in my opinion.

Oh I agree with you, he did buy really good players, I just don't agree with the notion that a managers transfer business generally buys him more time. People are just impatient and once things go awry faith will be lost in the manager regardless of track record. It's just the way it is in my opinion.

Benitez's track record in buying first team players wasn't at all bad - what he did wrong was buying scores of shite players to clog up the reserve and youth teams.  It meant there was no chance of anyone from the academy getting a look in, which in turn meant we couldn't really attract the quality required for the academy.  

Nah I disagree with that mate. I think Houllier and Rafa lived a long time off their first summers of transfer business. Because it gives you hope. 

If Rodgers had bought well we'd be going into this summer thinking he could turn the squad around, but instead most of us suspect it will be more of the same.

• Upvote 1

Guest davelfc

"I believe, that players are the future. Teach them well and, let them lead the way." 

He decided long go, never to walk in anyone's shadow, if he fails, if he succeeds, at least he did as he believed. 

He's his own mentor you know. 

"My biggest mentor is myself because I've had to study, so that's been my biggest influence."

• Downvote 1

video-undefined-198EAB9D00000578-622_636

"I believe, that players are the future. Teach them well and, let them lead the way." 

"You can only trust yourselves. No one else. You trust the supporters, because they're the best. You trust your family at home."

Because neither are an unmitigated success like the previous list, Coutinho is hot and cold and often lightweight away from home, and Sturrudge is a cripple. Both players are good players, but they're not mainstays like Rafa's best signings were.

So Countiho and Sturridge can't be called unmitigated successes but Garcia can?

That's a fairly ridiculous stance to take really.

I spent about 20mins yesterday writing a post to show just how much harder it has become in the premier league since Rafa and then me computer blue screened on me. I was pretty much as angry as any human being has ever been.

Basically you're going to need 71 points to finish 4th this season and if you look back on what you needed points wise to get yourself decent finishes it's a lot less. We finished 4th on 60 points in 2004.

I spent far more of my time defending Benitez and, ironically, pointing out the same things I'm pointing out for Rodgers (the reality of the situation he is in and the financial disadvantages) but the facts point towards the league getting harder, not easier, in the era of 4 rivals as opposed to 3.

• Upvote 1

Jesus, take Garcia out then as I said above. There's plenty more to choose from.

I wasn't disagreeing with your point, I was pointing out the lengths you were stretching to in order to exaggerate it.

Rafa bought some corkers and did well with his money. If he would still have been able to do that as well without that regular champions league place that having one less rival allowed us is another matter. 

• Upvote 3

Benitez's track record in buying first team players wasn't at all bad - what he did wrong was buying scores of shite players to clog up the reserve and youth teams.  It meant there was no chance of anyone from the academy getting a look in, which in turn meant we couldn't really attract the quality required for the academy.

Yeah

, like raheem sterling

I spent about 20mins yesterday writing a post to show just how much harder it has become in the premier league since Rafa and then me computer blue screened on me. I was pretty much as angry as any human being has ever been.

Basically you're going to need 71 points to finish 4th this season and if you look back on what you needed points wise to get yourself decent finishes it's a lot less. We finished 4th on 60 points in 2004.

I spent far more of my time defending Benitez and, ironically, pointing out the same things I'm pointing out for Rodgers (the reality of the situation he is in and the financial disadvantages) but the facts point towards the league getting harder, not easier, in the era of 4 rivals as opposed to 3.

Yeah mate the leagues harder with a shitter manager whats your point. No finance to compete, well 100m on balotelli and co tells you he is shit whether you give him a billion to waste is down to intellect.

Guest davelfc

The oil billionaires were always going to skew the game, make it harder to compete. Which is why 4th is now 1st for us, sad though that is to say. 

Which makes it harder for me to understand why you'd want a trainee competing against top managers at the top and in the CL. It's a huge risk.

Not getting 4th this season is unforgivable, on many levels. Rodgers himself said on being out of the CL

"The best players want to play in the best competition," said Rodgers.

"Any club will suffer the same when they're not in there. It will hurt you, but they (United) will know that."

United are used to regularly performing in Europe's elite club competition but this season risk missing out for the first time since the 1995-1996 campaign, when they played in the Uefa Cup.

Rodgers, 41, added: "It's not simple to get back in. You think every year is the next year.

Rodgers spoke of the experience he had last summer, when key targets turned down a move to Anfield in favour of clubs competing in the Champions League.

Armenia international Henrikh Mkhitaryan opted to join Bundesliga side Borussia Dortmund, while Brazil midfielder Willian signed for Premier League rivals Chelsea.

"We weren't in the Champions League and found it difficult," said Northern Irishman Rodgers.

But its not all bad news, he said recently. 

But Rodgers said: “Liverpool will always be an attractive offer for players, whether we are in the Champions League or not. People think you cannot attract players if you are not in the Champions League, but Liverpool will always be a huge attraction.

“That’s not just because of the history of the club, but also because of what we are trying to do here. Players will look at us and see a team and squad evolving, and they will want to be a part of that.”

Not getting 4th will be huge for us, not only because it will of course affect the players we can sign but because it stopped one of our rivals from being out of it for a second year. For us that would have been brilliant not from a rivalry point of view but from a footballing perspective. We had a real chance to cement ourselves in that top four and we failed. That we even gave up on a slim chance last weekend makes me sick. 

This is what frustrates me rather than getting engaged in a dick measuring contest between our current and previous managers. That and the fucked up quoting system on this board. 

• Downvote 1