You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

A very good post in full.

Buying players and paying them good wages is not difficult. Assembling a team is.

After three years there should be a pattern of play in which individual players are less important, new players slot in and know their place, and the manager knows they can play that role. That has not happened under Brendan

This....... With almighty great jingling bells on.

A very good post in full.

Buying players and paying them good wages is not difficult. Assembling a team is.

After three years there should be a pattern of play in which individual players are less important, new players slot in and know their place, and the manager knows they can play that role. That has not happened under Brendan

Agreed. I still cant get my head round why we bought what we did in the summer knowing what we had lost and how we looked and played at our best last season.

It smacks of the clutch going on your car and buying and fitting a new exhaust.

The loss to Aston Villa made me lose some faith in him. He then goes on record to say that we lack a big game mentality.

I would have accepted that if he had just taken over but this is HIS team, his own setup and tactics.

He has to deliver something next season.

• Upvote 1

If you buy into the Tomkins model then you necessarily buy into the fact that a club in our position with our goals needs a manager that gets a $1.50 (or whatever) worth of transfer value for every $1 spent. Whether the value add comes from better recruiting, better coaching, better game management isn't important, it just needs to be realized. Who has seen anything to suggest Rodgers can do this consistently across all his buys so far?

it's a hypothesis which would have been completely uncharted - let alone proven - had it not been for the expertise Tomkins alone seems to possess.  So first of all let us reflect on that and be grateful.  

But to answer your question, er, not me.

If he is staying,as I expect,I dont think giving him more money will help. I would tell him to create his own cash and use it more wisely. I just dont see the point of jizzing away a shedload of more money with a manager who may not be here at christmas if we start the season badly.

If he is judged by Kenny's standards we will be looking for a new manager in the summer,if not then its fingers crossed and roll the dice.

Ive said it before but Rodgers would benefit from an improvement of backroom staff,I reckon.

My own opinion of Rodgers is that he'd make a great number two,an assistant,but falls into the Colin Harvey school of management. Seems a great coach but is overwhelmed by the other stuff that goes with the job.

Wasn't he watching Coutinho for a few seasons?

I would disagree - the one constant through most of the players is they are really pretty good on the ball - that includes the likes of Allen, Lallana, Moreno, Markovic Can etc.

He cannot seem to see that those players need to be complimented and supported by a stiffer breed.

If he is staying,as I expect,I dont think giving him more money will help. I would tell him to create his own cash and use it more wisely. I just dont see the point of jizzing away a shedload of more money with a manager who may not be here at christmas if we start the season badly.

If he is judged by Kenny's standards we will be looking for a new manager in the summer,if not then its fingers crossed and roll the dice.

Ive said it before but Rodgers would benefit from an improvement of backroom staff,I reckon.

My own opinion of Rodgers is that he'd make a great number two,an assistant,but falls into the Colin Harvey school of management. Seems a great coach but is overwhelmed by the other stuff that goes with the job.

You either back him or sack him. It would be fucking ridiculous to not give him money.

• Upvote 1

Quantitative easing?

• Upvote 1

You either back him or sack him. It would be fucking ridiculous to not give him money.

Or there is the likely middle ground of making limited funds available, enough to wheel an deal a bit, but not so much that we have another cash burning session.

Or there is the likely middle ground of making limited funds available, enough to wheel an deal a bit, but not so much that we have another cash burning session.

He, or whoever is manager, should get a decent budget, but we do also have lots of players to fuck off. That'll provide some money in transfer fees, and a lot saved in wages.

• Upvote 1

There is no middle ground with this. If you think he's the right man, you give him what you would give any manager, If you don't think he is, you sack him. It's a shithouse thing to do not backing a manager fully. 

• Upvote 3

Spurs didn't back Pochettino, did they? My understanding is that they haven't bought anyone since he took over. They told him to get the most out of what he inherited. They're 3 points behind us.

Seems like the space between back or sack.

• Upvote 1

Spurs didn't back Pochettino, did they? My understanding is that they haven't bought anyone since he took over. They told him to get the most out of what he inherited. They're 3 points behind us.

More like the difference between Kane and Balotelli imo

• Upvote 2

There has certainly been money wasted (as there is with every club, every season) but I don't think the transfers have been quite as poor as some are making out. For all the talk of £211m wasted, we were 37 points behind United and City when Rodgers took over, they've spent £520m between them since then and now we're competitive with both, whilst slashing the average age of the squad and spending a fraction of what they do on wages. Had Sturridge not been injured, Balotelli not flopped or Costa and/or Sanchez not rejected us, I'm inclined to believe we'd have finished ahead of one of one if not both, despite them having proven winners in charge of vastly superior resources and our own manager apparently a useless cunt who is completely out of his depth at this level.

• Upvote 3

Yeah because it's the same situation.

There has certainly been money wasted (as there is with every club, every season) but I don't think the transfers have been quite as poor as some are making out. For all the talk of £211m wasted, we were 37 points behind United and City when Rodgers took over, they've spent £520m between them since then and now we're competitive with both, whilst slashing the average age of the squad and spending a fraction of what they do on wages. Had Sturridge not been injured, Balotelli not flopped or Costa and/or Sanchez not rejected us, I'm inclined to believe we'd have finished ahead of one of one if not both, despite them having proven winners in charge of vastly superior resources and our own manager apparently a useless cunt who is completely out of his depth at this level.

5 more goals from anywhere and we d have clinched top 4.

If we had a striker that scored 30 goals this season we'd be flying, miles ahead of Spurs.

Yep, even if Pochettino had been able to run wild in the transfer market last summer, ends up signing a heap of duds for loads of cash, yet in amongst it all, a player who has delivered in a massive way like Kane has, half of the other transfers would be forgotten. 

Look at the mancs, the attacking players they signed have been a huge failure for the money spent, yet they are a great chance to make the CL because of a goalkeeper who was already there having an enormous season. So the duds will be forgotten about a lot more easily than if they didn't get top 4. Basically, where Liverpool are right now.