You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

Can we stop making shit up please. Rodgers has spoken about being interested in Coutinho for a long time before we signed him. The narrative seems to be shit signings = Rodgers. Not so shit signings = committee.

I agree.

As far as I am concerned all transfers are down to Brendan insofar as if he is not satisfied with the transfer committees decisions, he has been free to resign.

Regarding Mourinho’s comments, I can’t see how declaring that your first target is to secure CL qualification, that is a minimum expectation, not an objective, is lowering expectations?

I think most on here see the equation of fifth highest wages versus fifth position. It is not a given, but an indicator.

As for where Rodgers career takes him beyond us, that is one he will have to manage carefully. In the recent past the likes of John Gregory and George Burley have had their moment in the sun, then crashed and burned. Brendan will have to balance a £12m wages iou on his contract, versus his longer term prospects.

What he's said is making out Chelsea should not be a guarennteed title contender every year, he is covering his arse for future seasons seeing as he wants to stay there for years.

If Rodgers does get the sack he need to take a leaf out of Rafas book, keep himself seen in the media and wait for one of the top 6 to struggle and he will be considered as a short term soloution atleast.

• Downvote 1

David Gill was the director of football at Utd? Like fuck he was. He was the CEO.

Macia was a scout. As was McParland firstly who then joined the academy.

Next.

Macia was way more than just a scout, same as McParland, just a fraction of their jobs.

David Gill wasn't the director of football, he worked with Hobson who was chief of recruitment as part of the transfer team. 

It's quite boring tbf, educate youtself, do some research etc.

And didn't bother replacing any of them.

Recruitment in the summer was shit, like I said. its not that we didn't bother, we just got it badly wrong. Also who was to know Gerrard would be completely finished after he was so good last season and who was to know Sturridge would be a perma-crock?

Let's have a bit of balance here.

• Upvote 2

What he's said is making out Chelsea should not be a guarennteed title contender every year, he is covering his arse for future seasons seeing as he wants to stay there for years.

If Rodgers does get the sack he need to take a leaf out of Rafas book, keep himself seen in the media and wait for one of the top 6 to struggle and he will be considered as a short term soloution atleast.

I think the mentality that no team is a guaranteed title contender each season, the team and manager have to make it so, is admirable.

I think there is no chance whatsoever of Brendan falling out of the media gaze. Whether a failing Arsenal, Chelsea, Man U, Man City or Spurs would see Brendan as the "go to" solution to winning honours is another matter.

Recruitment in the summer was shit, like I said. its not that we didn't bother, we just got it badly wrong. Also who was to know Gerrard would be completely finished after he was so good last season and who was to know Sturridge would be a perma-crock?

Let's have a bit of balance here.

Do you really think Gerrard as a player has changed immeasurably from last season? He was able to play as a deep lying playmaker last season because the team scored loads of goals. We could ship loads of goals because we scored even more. The vast majority of his goals were from penalties, to replace those goals, we'd need attacking players that win lots of penalties. Goals.

Who was to know Sturridge would be a perma-crock? What? Er, everyone?

Let's have a bit of fair and balanced context here. Fair and balanced. Context.

Or Lambert, Borini and Balotelli.

Can you imagine if Real Madrid replaced Benzema, Bale and Ronaldo with three fucking shit players and then tried to excuse the following season's steaming heap of jizz by saying "Yeah, but we lost x amount of goals"?

• Upvote 1

Macia was way more than just a scout, same as McParland, just a fraction of their jobs.

David Gill wasn't the director of football, he worked with Hobson who was chief of recruitment as part of the transfer team. 

It's quite boring tbf, educate youtself, do some research etc.

So they were not directors of football, then? Is that what you are conceding? Fascinating.

Again, what is your point? The transfer teams you are talking of here seem very similar to the one Rodgers is now working under. Rodgers doesn't have autonomy.

You're all over the place.

Drink less.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Do you really think Gerrard as a player has changed immeasurably from last season? He was able to play as a deep lying playmaker last season because the team scored loads of goals. We could ship loads of goals because we scored even more. The vast majority of his goals were from penalties, to replace those goals, we'd need attacking players that win lots of penalties.

Who was to know Sturridge would be a perma-crock? What? Er, everyone?

Let's have a bit of fair and balanced context here. Fair and balanced. Context.

Yes obviously Gerrard has changed quite a lot from last season. I can't believe you're suggesting otherwise.

From a 20 goal a season striker to a 4 goal a season striker. Yep, everyone saw that coming.

Yes obviously Gerrard has changed quite a lot from last season. I can't believe you're suggesting otherwise.

From a 20 goal a season striker to a 4 goal a season striker. Yep, everyone saw that coming.

I can't believe you're suggesting the opposite, etc. He's a slightly worse player, playing in a considerably worse side. He was shit at defending last season, that hasn't changed. But he could play the role last season because he had Sturridge, Suarez, and an in form Sterling to hit with long passes. Now he looks up and sees Balotelli talking to the corner flag, or Lambert not running at all. Now the emphasis is placed on his inability to track runners, because we aren't scoring the goals to mask it. Or rather, we aren't scoring the goals for it to not really be a problem. 

The idea that Sturridge's injuries have come as a surprise is utterly absurd. Part of the reason why people aren't as accepting that last season was evidence of Rodgers' managerial ability is because Sturridge staying injury free for 6 months was a huge stroke of luck. One of many.

• Upvote 1

Can you imagine if Real Madrid replaced Benzema, Bale and Ronaldo with three fucking shit players and then tried to excuse the following season's steaming heap of jizz by saying "Yeah, but we lost x amount of goals"?

Is that not a valid fucking excuse? We've had the heart ripped out of our team, replaced with shit, I agree. However we lost more than goals from Suarez, Sturridge and Gerrard - we lost our identity.

• Upvote 2

Sturridge has started 12 games this season, scoring 5.

Our leading scorer is Sterling with 7.

7 goals.

In context, Suarez scored 31 last season.

Some fucker needs to pick up his P45 this summer if they thought we could replace the third best player in the world with the attacking prowess of our 3.

Is that not a valid fucking excuse? We've had the heart ripped out of our team, replaced with shit, I agree. However we lost more than goals from Suarez, Sturridge and Gerrard - we lost our identity.

Yes. I've no idea what we are at the moment. Last year I knew. The season before that, no idea. Again.

However we lost more than goals from Suarez, Sturridge and Gerrard - we lost our identity.

That hurts, and I think you are right.

Sturridge less so, but Suarez and Gerrard instilled belief, in very different, but complimentary ways. Money alone cannot replace that.

I can't believe you're suggesting the opposite, etc. He's a slightly worse player, playing in a considerably worse side. He was shit at defending last season, that hasn't changed. But he could play the role last season because he had Sturridge, Suarez, and an in form Sterling to hit with long passes. Now he looks up and sees Balotelli talking to the corner flag, or Lambert not running at all. Now the emphasis is placed on his inability to track runners, because we aren't scoring the goals to mask it. Or rather, we aren't scoring the goals for it to not really be a problem.

The idea that Sturridge's injuries have come as a surprise is utterly absurd. Part of the reason why people aren't as accepting that last season was evidence of Rodgers' managerial ability is because Sturridge staying injury free for 6 months was a huge stroke of luck. One of many.

So we haven't suffered from Gerrards loss of form? That Rodgers is to blame?

Ok my mistake it must've just been me who thought we might get more than about 10 games from Sturridge.

Gerrard was named in the PFA team of the year, runner up in the FWA player of the year, statistically the 2nd best player in the league and was having praise lavished upon him from all corners of the game. Fair enough if you were able to anticipate him being completely fucking useless this season and in need of replacing in the summer but I don't think you can blame Rodgers for not possessing that incredible level of foresight when so few besides you did. Short of hiring you in an advisory role, I don't think we could have known that Gerrard's contribution would decline so dramatically and Sturridge would be injured for the entire season.

• Upvote 5

That's fair enough, I agree. Why were we so fucking terrible against Aston Villa though when we had the chance to beat a crap team to save our season?

Totally inexcusable and the moment that I lost faith in Brendan

• Upvote 1