You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

People are forgetting we were very lucky last season. 11 pens and a shitload of setpiece goals, Moyes' incompetence and no European football. That is like trying to catch lightning in a bottle. Even if we had kept Suarez and Sturridge fit, replicating last season's finish would have been almost impossible. We also scored early loads, which meant we didn't have to come from behind, a notorious Rodgers weakpoint.

If we had been even a little better defensively, we would have won the title. Rodgers' tactical acumen was vastly overrated because of above mentioned lucky factors. With a better manager, we'd have had the title won in April given the blistering form of our two forwards and Sterling.

He has failed miserably in 2 of his 3 seasons and it could be argued his 'success' was highly dubious. We have so drastically reduced expectations at this club that he will probably keep his job, but he shouldnt'. 

There we have it.

People are forgetting we were very lucky last season. 11 pens and a shitload of setpiece goals, Moyes' incompetence and no European football. That is like trying to catch lightning in a bottle. Even if we had kept Suarez and Sturridge fit, replicating last season's finish would have been almost impossible. We also scored early loads, which meant we didn't have to come from behind, a notorious Rodgers weakpoint.

If we had been even a little better defensively, we would have won the title. Rodgers' tactical acumen was vastly overrated because of above mentioned lucky factors. With a better manager, we'd have had the title won in April given the blistering form of our two forwards and Sterling.

He has failed miserably in 2 of his 3 seasons and it could be argued his 'success' was highly dubious. We have so drastically reduced expectations at this club that he will probably keep his job, but he shouldnt'. 

Well three better managers are available this summer. Four if you include Pellegrini.

Rafa

Klopp

Ancelotti.

That said if the committee is still in place and we carry on with the same system then it's pointless, but if we are scrapping it then it would be criminal not to at least look at the other options. It's doubtful you'll get another summer with such an array of managerial talent to ponder over any time soon.

Well three better managers are available this summer. Four if you include Pellegrini.

Rafa

Klopp

Ancelotti.

That said if the committee is still in place and we carry on with the same system then it's pointless, but if we are scrapping it then it would be criminal not to at least look at the other options. It's doubtful you'll get another summer with such an array of managerial talent to ponder over any time soon.

It's an interesting point. How many of those would come here is another matter.

On the matter of the TC itself, is the committee the problem, or Brendan? he has had no previous experience of big money transfers or the international transfer market or building a team. we are assuming that the committee is restraining Brendan, but could Brendan not be putting in enough himself?

Rafa

Klopp

Ancelotti.

why pointless? All 3 work under DOF and with transfer committees

On the matter of the TC itself, is the committee the problem, or Brendan? he has had no previous experience of big money transfers or the international transfer market or building a team. we are assuming that the committee is restraining Brendan, but could Brendan not be putting in enough himself?

Hard to say, maybe a few insiders might know more but from what I understand outside of Britain Rodgers scouting knowledge is at an end. Allen, Borini, Lallana, Lambert and Lovren were definitely his signings.

He had misgivings over Sturridge, and Coutinho was definitely a committee decision.

This is only what I've heard round and about but some of it I think is in the public domain mainly  in articles about Edwards & Gordon.

Hard to say, maybe a few insiders might know more but from what I understand outside of Britain Rodgers scouting knowledge is at an end. Allen, Borini, Lallana, Lambert and Lovren were definitely his signings.

He had misgivings over Sturridge, and Coutinho was definitely a committee decision.

This is only what I've heard round and about but some of it I think is in the public domain mainly in articles about Edwards & Gordon.

Sturridge and Coutinho are not definitely committee signings, Rodgers said he wanted a number 10 long before Coutinho arrived and even Rodgers critics will back up he wanted Sturridge atleast on loan in his first summer window.

De Boer too, probably a few more. We'll get Garry Monk in February.

add ot that Emery, Garcia, Favre, Jesus, Conte & Capello

There's DOF's and transfer committees.

And then there'd be our DOF & transfer committee.

You wouldn't blame anyone for swerving it.

Our committee works fine, the mistake was giving BR too much power and binning the idea of DOF 3 years ago.

Exactly, do you think Rafa would accept anyting being put on him.

I realise i'm in the minority, but I'd give him another season. For reasons to long and dull to go into, reasons I'm not really sure of myself.

But generally speaking I won't be UN-happy seeing him in charge at the start of next season. Though I can see why people want to give him the bullet.

• Upvote 1

Our committee works fine, the mistake was giving BR too much power and binning the idea of DOF 3 years ago.

Dunno. Working with a DOF has no guarantee of success either.

And it's not like our transfers have just turned to shit. They've been shit for the best part of 25 years.

The biggest fuck up was against Palace. At 3-0 up it made sense to try and rack them up, but as soon as they got their first we should have knocked the ball around for the rest of the game and took the three points.

Hindsight's a bitch isn't it!!

To be honest this season has been such a blur. I still can't get over not winning it last year, I actually think about it every 2nd hour. The horror that it ended last year has scarred me and this shite season has only compounded it further. Simply put there are no goals in this squad that's the difference, coutinho and sterling have been bestowed the position of our go to players when last year there were merely supporting acts. A fit Sturridge playing out of his skin and the best player in the world that calendar year to be replaced by mario fucking Balotelli, there's your answer lads.

It's common knowledge he had misgivings about Sturridge which is why he wanted him on loan. The money was available for a permanent transfer.

The only common knowledge is that Tony Evans has been peddling that story for a while and that he normally talks shite.

What is certain is we were trying to do a deal for Sturtidge on the last day of the window and di matteo said in the press conference before their super cup that Sturridge was going nowhere because they had no backup.

Sturridge and Coutinho are not definitely committee signings, Rodgers said he wanted a number 10 long before Coutinho arrived and even Rodgers critics will back up he wanted Sturridge atleast on loan in his first summer window.

Yes they are.

Sturridge could have been signed permanently in the summer before he arrived but Rodgers vetoed it and only wanted him on loan which Chelsea flatly refused. This was when he was chasing Dempsey after Carroll left. (Remember Henderson + £6m anyone) When he couldn't get him he threw a titty lip after the window and been shut complaining about not signing Dempsey. Only for the following day for FSG to leak that funds were available for Sturridge but not for Dempsey.

Rodgers later said there had been a miscommunication. As for Coutinho he may have wanted a number 10 but he never identified him.