You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

I suspect the latter facilitated the former, Tom. 

;)

haha. I agreed with most of the posters who have left! I suspect they left because anyone deviating from the common narrative generally gets abuse. Happens on all forums, mind. Not just sporting or football ones.

But maybe I've got to start buying into these Manc and ref conspiracies and start bagging our players and manager. Then I would be a weal fan.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I suspect they left because anyone deviating from the common narrative generally gets abused. 

Yep. 

Awesome video

That's great! Really liked the shot at the end where coutinho squares up to someone a full head taller than him and Lucas dives in to split them up. Kinda shows how fired up people are when they'll walk into that kind of conflict off the ball

• Upvote 1

That's like an Everton video.  

We've won nothing yet ladies and gentlemen.  Let's not ladle on the emotive shite until we actually achieve something.  Until then it's all empty talk and meaningless widescreen music.  Fuck it off and get something won.  Then we can talk about heroes/destiny/fans/desire or whatever the fuck these voiceovers waffle on about.

I don't think 60m is a particularly impressive figure.

Depends what you do with it.

60 million bought us Torres, Suarez, sturridge and Coutinho (give or take the odd million)

Not that I believe the story as I doubt any manager is given a definitive amount of money.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Depends what you do with it.

Not sure I agree with that. The amount shoukd be judged independently of other transfers. Otherwise the objective for the manager becomes 'find some of the best transfer deals in our history'.

If we are looking at going out and buying the players we need, we will need more than 60m. In my view, anyway. Considering you don't get much change from that 60m on Sakho, Allen, and Hendo, getting a RB, DM, LW, and depth for CB, LB and ST for that money, and expecting them to be good enough rather than an Aspas, is pushing it.

Not sure I agree with that. The amount shoukd be judged independently of other transfers

Why?

It's as much about good scouting and coaching as it is how much we have to spend. Just because you have it doesn't mean you spend it and if you sign the players the manager wants and it comes to less than 60 million then who really cares?

People need to get used to the idea that very few teams in any sport will manage to do all the business they want and strengthen all the positions they want in a single window,

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Why?

A few reasons. The first is that the two things are totally unrelated. The second is that who does the choosing? Do we base our budget on Sturridge at 12m, in which case we'll only need to give the manager a budget of about 40 million and then expect the title next season, or do we base it on Carroll at 35m, in which case we we'll need about 600m to get the right players. My point being that it's unreliable and unrelated to how much we reasonably should give the manager. Nah, we need to base our budget on what's out there in the market and how much players of a certain quality are costing at the moment.

It's as much about good scouting and coaching as it is how much we have to spend. Just because you have it doesn't mean you spend it and if you sign the players the manager wants and it comes to less than 60 million then who really cares?

I'm not suggesting we shouldn't look for bargains, I'm talking about the budget set. We can't base our budget off of rare bargains. It's great to get bargains, but to make them a necessity will come back to bite us. We've lost out on players because we wouldn't pay quite as much as others, and at those rates you're looking at a couple or three players for that 60m.

A few reasons. The first is that the two things are totally unrelated. The second is that who does the choosing? Do we base our budget on Sturridge at 12m, in which case we'll only need to give the manager a budget of about 40 million and then expect the title next season, or do we base it on Carroll at 35m, in which case we we'll need about 600m to get the right players. My point being that it's unreliable and unrelated to how much we reasonably should give the manager. Nah, we need to base our budget on what's out there in the market and how much players of a certain quality are costing at the moment.

I'm not suggesting we shouldn't look for bargains, I'm talking about the budget set. We can't base our budget off of rare bargains. It's great to get bargains, but to make them a necessity will come back to bite us. We've lost out on players because we wouldn't pay quite as much as others, and at those rates you're looking at a couple or three players for that 60m.

It's nothing to do with bargains vs over paying or Galctico's vs Pavons or however else people want to categorise it. It's about getting the right player full stop if that player costs 8 million or 22 million it doesn't matter. 

Guest Numero Veinticinco

It's nothing to do with bargains vs over paying or Galctico's

It is when you're talking about the budget. You don't get many Galacticos for 8m. It's about getting the right player for the team, but if you're setting a budget there needs to be enough to get the right players in several positions otherwise the budget is too small.

We're talking about the budget set for the manager, not the general ethos of player procurement.

Not sure I agree with that. The amount shoukd be judged independently of other transfers. Otherwise the objective for the manager becomes 'find some of the best transfer deals in our history'.

If we are looking at going out and buying the players we need, we will need more than 60m. In my view, anyway. Considering you don't get much change from that 60m on Sakho, Allen, and Hendo, getting a RB, DM, LW, and depth for CB, LB and ST for that money, and expecting them to be good enough rather than an Aspas, is pushing it.

I slightly disagree on this being the way forward in the next few transfer windows. I agree that all those positions probably need upgrading, however I think we need to look at signing 3 top class, first 11 players, and supplementing the squad with the players who are out on loan. If we continue to try and sign 6 or 7 players every transfer window it only follows that we are going to end up with the likes of Aspas being bought. For me, prioritise 3 areas and buy real quality to upgrade them, and with any luck the potential return of the likes of Borini, Suso, Wisdom and Ilori can boost the squad. Give these another year to see if they can cut it and then make a judgement from there.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I slightly disagree on this being the way forward in the next few transfer windows. I agree that all those positions probably need upgrading, however I think we need to look at signing 3 top class, first 11 players, and supplementing the squad with the players who are out on loan. If we continue to try and sign 6 or 7 players every transfer window it only follows that we are going to end up with the likes of Aspas being bought. For me, prioritise 3 areas and buy real quality to upgrade them, and with any luck the potential return of the likes of Borini, Suso, Wisdom and Ilori can boost the squad. Give these another year to see if they can cut it and then make a judgement from there.

I'm not saying we should buy Aspas likes, just that the level of budget isn't going to get us top class players in every area we need. So yeah, quality over quantity for me too. Just with a bigger budget.

I'm not saying we should buy Aspas likes, just that the level of budget isn't going to get us top class players in every area we need. So yeah, quality over quantity for me too. Just with a bigger budget.

Yeh that's the way I see it.

If the budget isn't big however and we try to spread it over 5 or 6 squad players I will be annoyed. We need to start learning from our mistakes.