You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

I'm still not sold on the quilted jacket look. It's too close to Hughton for my liking. I reckon Rodgers is cool enough to pull off a vintage Belstaff.

He's earned the right to wear what the fuck he likes.

Well apart from the Wenger caterpillar.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Rodgers is doing an amazing job, we took a chance on a young manager and its paid off big time.

It only seems like the other week that the tide was against him. Some proper head hanging required on their part. One bonus of winning the league would be going through old threads armed with Nelson 'ha-ha' pictures.

The flack FSG took in how they conducted the managerial search, the dlack they took for hiring a 'yes man, rookie manager' with the intension of stripping the club of assets. The flack the manager took for being 'naive' and tactically inept. Yep, as soon as I'd sobered up, the finger pointing would start. Vengeful prick right here.

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Imagine Rodgers in this, with a great big liver bird on the back.

red-smoking-jacket.png

It would destroy the opposition before a ball was even kicked.

All he'd need is a couple of blondes on his arm and to start referring to Anfield as 'The Mansion'.

'Welcome to The Mansion, where teams get fucked'

• Upvote 2

Guest Numero Veinticinco

"My ambition is for the club - I want the club to succeed.

"We've made many changes on and off the field in the time I've been here, but what we have created is a one-club mentality. Now when anyone talks about Liverpool, it's about the football, and that's very pleasing.

"We still have a lot of work to do in terms of where I want to take the team. It's great to have a group of players that are very honest and want to go with you on the journey. You can see by their work-rate, intensity and quality that we're improving all the time.

"We'll stay calm. It's good for the supporters to dream. It's great for them because they've seen the evolution of this team over the last 18 months - and we've been constantly for over a year progressing and performing at a good level.

It's right. All the talk of ownership battles, buyouts, shares, debt, banks, defaults, in-fighting; all these things are melting away. He has, in my opinion, started to build a side that isn't yet man-for-man as strong as City or as deep as Chelsea, but does have a work ethic and togetherness. I believe (mainly because he said it again and again and again since he has been here) that it comes directly from the manager. People were calling him Brent (and suggesting he was a laughing stock or whatever for saying things a certain way, but the ethos was right. What he values is what's important - hard work first. They were taking the piss when he was spouting his thoughts on having a philosophy about football. Look at Moyes and read the Manc forums. They'd fucking love Rodgers as their manager because he does have a philosophy. He represents everything Moyes isn't.

Who knows what'll happen in the future, the wheels might come off - that happens in football, even to the best - but my prediction is as it was in the first month that he was here, we've got a manager with the potential to be here for a very long time, just as Ferguson was at United. We've got a manager who has the potential to be regarded as one of the very best. Hopefully those words that were regarded as 'David Brent' bullshit (and him being a fraud or a bullshitter) will be the ones emblazoned on flags and banners in years to come.

For me, and I took some flack when I said it 18 months ago when Rodgers was just starting at Liverpool, he reminds me very much of Van Gaal (albeit without the arrogance). Obviously not in terms of what they've won (after all, there's a 22 year difference in careers), but in philosophy and how they approach the game. I've no idea if he'll become somebody of the stature of LVG, but I do see LVG in him (not hanging out the back of him, Keysey)

"That's what we've been working towards since I've been here. The systems are relevant - we can look at each game and analyse the strengths of what we have available against the opponent we're playing.

"The style will always be the same - we want to control and dominate the game, be tactically strong and very good in transition. We saw all of those aspects today.

"We've played 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 and 3-5-2 and today we played a 4-4-2 diamond. You've got to heap huge praise onto the players, who kept the tactical discipline in order to block up the space and be a threat going forward.

"We've had an outstanding performance today - a really significant performance - against a very, very good side with an excellent manager. Our players were tactically brilliant today; kept a clean sheet collectively as a team and scored three goals.

"We'll just stay calm. 10 games to go, we're in a good position and we just want to continue working at the level we've been at."

That's from after the Southampton game. It's basically word for word how Van Gaal sees the game. I'll try to find the quotes. Here you go:

"A system depends on the players you have. I played 4-3-3 with Ajax, 2-3-2-3 with Barcelona and a 4-4-2 with AZ. I'm flexible. The philosophy stays the same though. I don't think that you can adapt it to every possible situation. You need the right mindset, and it depends on how the players see the coach and vice versa. The coach is the focal point of the team but you need to have an open mind, and so do all the players. Everyone needs to work together to achieve a common goal."

Still, speaking like somebody and winning as much as them and achieving as much as them are two totally different things. Admittedly, Rodgers has won the square root of fuck all with us yet, and I think it might be a while before he does. What he has done, in my opinion, is started to forge a mentality that will see us right over the coming years.

• Upvote 4

One of the things I've been most impressed by is how he's handled the young blood. His positivity is shaping their outlook, not just for the next few games but potentially for their careers.

Sterling looks like he's got no fear, Flanagan gets forward when he sniffs a chance and Coutinho - when on his game - can pull strings for a pair of world class forwards like a seasoned pro.

I'm excited to see how Rodgers uses Suso when he returns.

I actually cannot believe how well Rodgers is doing; the way we are playing; the goals we are scoring. I also cannot believe we are second and in with a shout for the title with 10 games to go. What a champion. An absolute progressive champion.

Not sure it was luck or judgement on FSG's behalf but kudos to them for their appointment.

At the moment I'm just about in the yes camp, however i noticed it was saint David's day yesterday and Brendan started Welsh international Joe Allen. It dos'nt take a person inclined to watching the grassy knoll documentaries long to work out the connection.

Although Rodgers cleverly disguised Allens inclusion in the post match interview with some management speak of "shoring up the midfield" or playing some "diamond formation" thing, however the link is obvious, Welsh, St David's day = start in midfield.

I can't be accused of being racist or anti welsh as i am welsh and racist myself although Rodgers must learn and learn quickly that sentiment plays no part in this game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The press are desperate for him to come out and say we are in title race and try get some GH type quote.Over previous years they love that joke about lfc fans saying this is our year etc but this season 90% of fans have been realistic and management and squad seem to be going about things the right way.

Brendan is doing exactly what he should, hes not making any bold claims and is just keeping the players focused on the next game.

At the moment I'm just about in the yes camp, however i noticed it was saint David's day yesterday and Brendan started Welsh international Joe Allen. It dos'nt take a person inclined to watching the grassy knoll documentaries long to work out the connection.

Although Rodgers cleverly disguised Allens inclusion in the post match interview with some management speak of "shoring up the midfield" or playing some "diamond formation" thing, however the link is obvious, Welsh, St David's day = start in midfield.

I can't be accused of being racist or anti welsh as i am welsh and racist myself although Rodgers must learn and learn quickly that sentiment plays no part in this game.

This is either comedy gold or complete shite. I hope it's my hangover making it a whoosh moment.

edit: It's gold. Nice work.

Think hes doing a brilliant job and is the right man for the job but lets not forget were fresh every game will be a different thing next season when we play many mid weekers. But im very pleased and think this could be our year reguardless if were fresh or not what hes about to achieve is huge.

I think he's doing a great job - the only downside, as I see it, is that it's going to be pretty hard to convince FSG to invest properly when he's shown that we can be competitive with the current squad. I would really fear for us going into a CL campaign with the current defence.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

To be fair, he still has another year, so no worries about him just leaving. Get the extension going and then see how things go in Europe.

• Upvote 2

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Just reading through a couple of Rodgers threads, there are a few really decent posters no longer posting here.

Meanwhile, I still am.

There's no justice.

I suspect the latter facilitated the former, Tom. 

;)