Quantcast
Best phone out there right now? - Page 46 - TNF - Techy Nerd Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Tom R

Best phone out there right now?

Data being mined by the Chinese as opposed to the US government and US corporates?

It's been happening in this country for the last 7 years. 

Whatever next?  The Isle Of Man hacking teletext?

I'm due an upgrade in April, so of course now is the time to start the mental wankathon about the Galaxy S8.

Hurry up and be April already.

Does that one self destruct after every call
  • Upvote 1

My iPhone 5s is on it's last legs and I can get a Honor 8 or a Huawei P9 from Three for cheap. 

They look similar apart from the P9 has a marginally faster processor and is less glass than the Honor 8 so I'm erring towards it. 

Anyone got either of them?

My iPhone 5s is on it's last legs and I can get a Honor 8 or a Huawei P9 from Three for cheap.

They look similar apart from the P9 has a marginally faster processor and is less glass than the Honor 8 so I'm erring towards it.

Anyone got either of them?

Why are you moving away from iOS mate? Did you like the 5S?

Pretty impressed with the Moto G4. Feels quite nippy and it's been years since I had a phone where the battery lasted more than a few hours.

How did you find your Nexus 5x mate?

My Nexus 5 has finally given up the ghost and I'm not that arsed about throwing fortunes at a new phone. Been weighing up the differences between the 5x and the 6p.

I want the s8 when my contract is up next month. I might just get a better deal on the s7 as the price difference on comparable deals will likely be £50+ vs £30. Even being a bit of a techie I'm not sure I can justify almost double the cost.

How did you find your Nexus 5x mate?

My Nexus 5 has finally given up the ghost and I'm not that arsed about throwing fortunes at a new phone. Been weighing up the differences between the 5x and the 6p.

The 5X was good but in basic performance there's little noticeable difference between the 5X and the G4. The Moto has a whole better battery life but you'll need the turbocharger to get it to charge in a decent amount of time as the supplied charger is pants. The 5X has a fingerprint scanner and NFC and they are really the only standout differences along with the the OS version, although Nougat should be imminent on the G4.

Was just a bit miffed that the 5X crashed outside of its 12 month warranty, an issue that isn't uncommon judging by some experiences.

The 5X was good but in basic performance there's little noticeable difference between the 5X and the G4. The Moto has a whole better battery life but you'll need the turbocharger to get it to charge in a decent amount of time as the supplied charger is pants. The 5X has a fingerprint scanner and NFC and they are really the only standout differences along with the the OS version, although Nougat should be imminent on the G4.

Was just a bit miffed that the 5X crashed outside of its 12 month warranty, an issue that isn't uncommon judging by some experiences.

Did you contact them anyway? Most phone manufacturers cover for a good bit longer. I can't remember if there is a law or not, but there are certainly guidelines that indicate a £400+ mobile phone that can't last over 18 months isn't fit for purpose.

My Nexus 5 (original) broke down after around 18 months. I contacted google and they sent me a refurbished one, which was like new.

EDIT: Also, sorry, I wish I'd seen or thought to post this before you went out and got the G4!

Did you contact them anyway? Most phone manufacturers cover for a good bit longer. I can't remember if there is a law or not, but there are certainly guidelines that indicate a £400+ mobile phone that can't last over 18 months isn't fit for purpose.

My Nexus 5 (original) broke down after around 18 months. I contacted google and they sent me a refurbished one, which was like new.

EDIT: Also, sorry, I wish I'd seen or thought to post this before you went out and got the G4!

No worries, it was a little while back. I didn't contact Google. I did think about it but thought I'd miss out and the G4 was cheap at £130 so bit the bullet. If they are a bit relaxed on the time period I might give it a go. Thanks for the heads up.

No worries, it was a little while back. I didn't contact Google. I did think about it but thought I'd miss out and the G4 was cheap at £130 so bit the bullet. If they are a bit relaxed on the time period I might give it a go. Thanks for the heads up.

Defo worth a shot. You could even get the 5X back and sell it and pay for the G4.

Pushed ee down to buttons on my sim and will probably grab the Lenovo P2. Seems good value and good battery life.

What deal did you get? I'm tempted to get a OnePlus 3T and talk EE down or switch to another sim only deal when my contract us up at the end of May.

What deal did you get? I'm tempted to get a OnePlus 3T and talk EE down or switch to another sim only deal when my contract us up at the end of May.

Keep us updated on this phone looks boss after a new phone myself switching back to Android after having iphone6

Fwiw I went to EE the deal was a bargain 1/3rd cheaper than others but the internet data seems to run out much quicker than that of O2 and ends up costing the same or more when you have to pay for data addons

Plus EE signal is shite goes up and down

I am well aware of the S8 release date. Plus I have 14 days cooling off period in case I find some unbelievable deal.

I imagine the S8 will have a minimum improvement on the S7. The wife had an S6 when I got the S7 and the only difference is could tell was that I was paying £12 a month more than her.
  • Upvote 1

They're just increments these days. If the rumoured iris scanner is true, it'll be a cool gimmick. But like all the other stuff it'll be years before its perfected to be used daily anyway. Remember all that face-unlocking bollocks years ago?

I'm not going to lie though, i've always had the latest flagships and I want the S8, before I even fully know what it's about. But the average price of flagships has went from £500 to £800+ in the last few years and the monthly contracts have went from £30 to £50, and I can't justify it. Almost double for an "increment" that you'll be used to in a couple of days. To be honest I was thinking of sticking to my LG G4 and going sim only but couldn't bring myself to turn down the upgrade.

Just bought a black HTC One M7, brand new for £80.

I've already got the Gunmetal Grey M8 at home and love it, the M7 is contract free and for general knocking about and taking down the pub.

Good deal I think.

I've just got an early upgrade to an S7 as well, which was well timed as I'd smashed the screen on my old phone and the battery life was becoming laughable.

Like ROTOQ I used to love getting the latest models, but I simply can't justify the extra money you pay out for what are, in real terms, negligible improvements.

The S7 is a fantastic phone - the release of the S8 isn't going to change that.

• Upvote 1