Quantcast
Best phone out there right now? - Page 4 - TNF - Techy Nerd Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Tom R

Best phone out there right now?

... was wondering if there was any way I can transfer all my contacts, photos and music from itunes to the Samsung. If not I may have to stick to apple. Any info greatly appreciated.

I use an app called iSyncr to link my iTunes to my HTC. All transfers through my wifi so I don't even have to plug it in. Cost a couple of quid but it's been useful so far. I only use it for music, though, so you'd have to read up on the other bits.

I spent longest with Sony Ericsson (7 years) but got made redundant from Motorola a few years ago.

I do hark back to the old days sometimes, when a battery would last you all week, and you could drop your phone... a la SH688 etc.

I worked on smartphone development (R380, P800, P900 etc) when smartphones were nerdy and rare! Those were the days.

I'll never forget working at Motorola and trying to explain to Americans that HTC were kicking our arses with the likes of the Diamond... but they were American and couldn't see it. Ended up in thousands of people losing their jobs thanks to morons running the place. But that's how it goes.

Similar with Nokia actually... complacency happens to all great firms, and consumers just fancy a change sometimes. Which (in my opinion) is what's happening with iPhone. The shine is starting to fade, and people just want something else. Of course, it's still doing brilliantly well, but Samsung are flavour of the month now.

I'm using a One X, and a Desire HD at the moment. I've get to see anything good enough to spend more money. I'll probably wait for the HTC One MkII or G5 !

I'm sure there's a number of sync apps that will let you transfer your PIM data to 'the cloud' (preferably google).

Ask yourself this though... do you continue to go with a manufacturer trying to tie you in? and thus end up even further tied in' date=' or do you cut your loses and make a switch?

I was a MobileMe (as it used to be called) user (Apple's cloud service), but soon ditched it due to poor support, and them charging for it. I switched to google's cloud stuff, which although not as polished, is free, and fairly easy to port data between. I can keep all my PIM data in sync with a Windows Phone, iPhone or Android phone all using Google. I couldn't do that with Apple's cloud services.

Apple do things wonderfully, so long as you bend to their will, and do it their way.

Google don't do things quite as well, but they are more open to you doing things your own way.

I like to do things my way - so Google gets my money (via Android).[/quote']

Thanks mate. I managed to get them from icloud, save them to my laptop and then upload them to Google so I am sorted either way now

Im also looking at that whats it like.

Its been working well for me Simon, not had any problems with it, depends what you are going to use your phone for I guess.

For my use I dont have any complaints apart from the thing I wrote earlier about my battery when I went abroad with it and it was roaming constantly.

Its been working well for me Simon, not had any problems with it, depends what you are going to use your phone for I guess.

For my use I dont have any complaints apart from the thing I wrote earlier about my battery when I went abroad with it and it was roaming constantly.

I used to play games on them and stuff, but i just want it for FB, Twitter, Navigation etc. I want a battery handles more than 3 hours of continuous use. I also here they have a Program like the new Xperia where it turns off your phone when not in use but still recieves calls.

I used to play games on them and stuff, but i just want it for FB, Twitter, Navigation etc. I want a battery handles more than 3 hours of continuous use. I also here they have a Program like the new Xperia where it turns off your phone when not in use but still recieves calls.

Its very good for all those things Simon, the battery should last a day at least.

Not tried it with constant navigation without being in the car, but when I am I'm also charging so would not know that.

The city lens function where you can see what is around you just by looking through the phone is pretty useful as well.

Its very good for all those things Simon, the battery should last a day at least.

Not tried it with constant navigation without being in the car, but when I am I'm also charging so would not know that.

The city lens function where you can see what is around you just by looking through the phone is pretty useful as well.

Could you test navigation for me if you get chance please would be greatly apreciated if it beats 2.5 hours then its more than my s2

Cant you get a dynamo on your bike Simon and charge it while you go around?

Never heard of them wouldnt they be expensive? Its not just that why i want a new phone S2 lasts like 4 hours max with how much i use it.

Never heard of them wouldnt they be expensive? Its not just that why i want a new phone S2 lasts like 4 hours max with how much i use it.

I did not really know if such a thing existed, but thought since you can get light on your bike that way why not also charge your phone with the right device.

And without doing too much search here it is.

BikeCharger.Net | Charge your mobile phone with your bike

Bike USB Charger

Anything decent out in July?

All the big releases are more likely to announced at the IFA in Berlin in september so July you might have a few but it'll pretty much be the same as now for the flagship handsets (S4 will still be the best option at that point).

Motorola Razr I for me, 16 quid a month, 600 minutes, unlimited texts, and a gig of data. Mid range smartphone that fits in a pocket.

I had a look at a few phones yesterday and they are all fucking massive

Motorola Razr I for me, 16 quid a month, 600 minutes, unlimited texts, and a gig of data. Mid range smartphone that fits in a pocket.

I have that one as well, battery life is great and its very quick. Its also the perfect size for me as well, I'm not into the monster size phones like the Samsung.

Samsung is rumoured to be creating 2 new phones, Mega 5.8 and Mega 6.3, which will be 5.8 inch and 6.3 inch respectively. Now 6.3 inch, to me, is a ridiculously big phone or phablet or phoblet or whatever the new name for these devices are. I don't think I even have trousers with pockets big enough to get a 6.3 inch phone in to it. Mad.

Samsung Galaxy Mega 5.8 and Galaxy Mega 6.3 Coming | TechnoBuffalo

Edited by DJLJ

It's surprising how quickly you get used to larger screen phones. After a couple of weeks they feel entirely normal.

I've still got a Touch Diamond (HTC) I use now and then and it's tiny and still beautiful. Perfect for jeans pocket on a night out.

The real problem with the bigger phones is that you're then worried about looking after it, and end up having to buy a cover / case etc, and that adds to the bulk. And I'm paranoid about sitting at some dodgy angle and snapping my phone / cracking the screen. When you have a large fancy phone, it's always on your mind - which is not the way things should be!