Quantcast
Best phone out there right now? - Page 3 - TNF - Techy Nerd Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Tom R

Best phone out there right now?

...still the best phone out there right now though. Even though you have to play with the settings or the battery dies?

I guess we have different criteria.

Have you travelled abroad with your phone?

Windows Mobile is dead, well and truly. Microsoft are imbeciles.

They HAD a decent lead in mobile OS and sat on their arses for 10 years. In fact, there were one of the first to realise the potential market for a mobile OS, but peaked too early.

They've made a real hash of things in the last 5 years, and lost their way.

I must have had about 10 Windows CE and Windows Phone devices in my time, from old CE stuff right up to Blackstone. I was working for Ericsson then Sony Ericsson in those days, before joining Symbian. Microsoft just refused to change their UI and ended up stagnant.

Although I'm stereotyping - it's alarming how iOS exhibits stunning form over function, whilst Android is the reverse. Truly reflecting Apple and Google in so many ways.

As things stand, and it's just my opinion of course... Android's progressing at a far faster rate than iOS and within 2-3 years, could surpass the ease of use of iOS. Sadly Apple can could market a fart as 'iAroma' and it would sell. Google struggle to market things well.

As much as i love android there fucking battery use is pissing me of something rotten 2 hours on GPS? Whats the fucking point of giving it GPS.

Depends what you're doing with GPS, but...

Most likely is a mix of things...

Actually activating GPS will cause some drain, but this is fairly minimal (compared with the other items below)

If you're using Navigation, it'll be CPU intensive and draining even more power.

And worst of all, you'll most likely have your screen on - which is a killer. By far the largest drain on the battery. Adjusting the brightness will help a little, but 'screen on' as just bad for any prolonged period.

If you're using online maps too.... well, you're seriously asking for trouble... you'll be using data to download the maps and this is another killer battery drainer.

Opt for a locally stored Nav system if you can. Of course I understand the pros/cons of this, but as far as power consumption goes, you're almost always better off with 'on board' maps, and not 'cloud' maps.

Depends what you're doing with GPS, but...

Most likely is a mix of things...

Actually activating GPS will cause some drain, but this is fairly minimal (compared with the other items below)

If you're using Navigation, it'll be CPU intensive and draining even more power.

And worst of all, you'll most likely have your screen on - which is a killer. By far the largest drain on the battery. Adjusting the brightness will help a little, but 'screen on' as just bad for any prolonged period.

If you're using online maps too.... well, you're seriously asking for trouble... you'll be using data to download the maps and this is another killer battery drainer.

Opt for a locally stored Nav system if you can. Of course I understand the pros/cons of this, but as far as power consumption goes, you're almost always better off with 'on board' maps, and not 'cloud' maps.

I use Copilot downloadable maps the lot. Uses GPS only.

I use Copilot downloadable maps the lot. Uses GPS only.

It's probably about right... I'm using Sygic these days, but much of a muchness... navigation is a battery killer. Don't forget, it's doing a lot of maths, and graphics, and worst of all, screen on all the time.

Crap really isn't it? but that's modern smartphones for ya!

It's probably about right... I'm using Sygic these days, but much of a muchness... navigation is a battery killer. Don't forget, it's doing a lot of maths, and graphics, and worst of all, screen on all the time.

Crap really isn't it? but that's modern smartphones for ya!

Yeah does my head in, why put it on there fucking pointless. Even with Energy savimg mode it last a max of 3 hours.

Have you travelled abroad with your phone?

Yeah I travel fairly often. America mainly. As an aside, 4G is pretty amazing if you haven't used it.

I'm just pulling your chain really Code... I knew you'd defend your opinion to the hilt despite overwhelming evidence that, actually, the Nokia Lumia is a piece of badly polished turd.

Although I'm stereotyping - it's alarming how iOS exhibits stunning form over function, whilst Android is the reverse. Truly reflecting Apple and Google in so many ways.

I had an iPhone 3g and in fairness it was comfortably the most reliable phone I have had since the old Nokia bricks. However, I think iOS is now in danger of appearing dated next to Android.

To counter that though, I have the Nexus 10 tablet, and my customer service experience of Google has almost led to me swearing off all their devices. There is a known bug in Android 4.2.1 and 4.2.2 (therefore only Nexus devices currently suffer) which sees devices rendered virtually useless when paired with certain routers. One of which, unfortunately, is my shitty Talk Talk router. It means that the wifi randomly drops every ten minutes or so, which is infuriating when using something like Skype. It is now six months since 4.2.1, and Google steadfastly refuse to acknowledge the issue or do anything about it. At one point they claimed it was a 'feature'! The Nexus 10 is a wifi only device, you'd think it should work on wifi. I have found their arrogance to be breathtaking.

I ended up with....the iphone 5, obvs, after saying their was no way I was getting an iphone, I have my reasons, damn it, it's a really good phone, there's probably better, of which none are made by Nokia, but I can't complain.

Yeah does my head in, why put it on there fucking pointless. Even with Energy savimg mode it last a max of 3 hours.

Hows it pointless its a great feature. just charge your phone off your car lighter as you use it.

Hows it pointless its a great feature. just charge your phone off your car lighter as you use it.

Simon's car lighter is charging his car battery - it's how his perpetual motion machine works. Duh!

My old school mate who works for Microsoft and who is the man behind the system for the live ratings in Chess worldwide told me at Christmas when I met him at a reunion that Window phones was the way forward.

If a geek like him tells me its the best I believe him and it suits me fine, my first mobile phone in the mid 90's was an Ericsson after that its just been Nokia for me and as long as they make phones it will stay that way.

• Downvote 1

My old school mate who works for Microsoft and who is the man behind the system for the live ratings in Chess worldwide told me at Christmas when I met him at a reunion that Window phones was the way forward.

If a geek like him tells me its the best I believe him and it suits me fine, my first mobile phone in the mid 90's was an Ericsson after that its just been Nokia for me and as long as they make phones it will stay that way.

Fucking hell! He's not going to champion Andriod is he?

Windows is still an unknown quality as a phone OS. I use it at the moment & its server integration is very good & easy. Also having word, excel, outlook etc on your phone is a bonus too.

Apple have stagnated massively over the last 2-3 years. Sales will continue to be good but their innovation has been seriously lacking since the Iphone 4/Ipad.

imo the galaxy is a much better phone and the Andriod OS is as good if not better than ios.

He told me he had used both Iphone and Android before but the Windows system was the best one at the moment.

It was what I wanted to hear so he made my choice a bit easier, I did not tell him this before we had the discussion though, but I found it fit to ask him since I was going to buy a new phone in January.

He should have asked his mate that works for Google, I'm sure he'd have said the exact same thing…

Just got back from the Dam where I lost my iphone 5. The insurance company have told me they will only replace it with a reconditioned one or the cash equivalent. I dont want a 2nd hand iphone so am thinking of getting a brand new S3 with the money but was wondering if there was any way I can transfer all my contacts, photos and music from itunes to the Samsung. If not I may have to stick to apple. Any info greatly appreciated.

Just got back from the Dam where I lost my iphone 5. The insurance company have told me they will only replace it with a reconditioned one or the cash equivalent. I dont want a 2nd hand iphone so am thinking of getting a brand new S3 with the money but was wondering if there was any way I can transfer all my contacts, photos and music from itunes to the Samsung. If not I may have to stick to apple. Any info greatly appreciated.

Doubt it apple seem to eradicate any way of you wanting to change phone.

I worked for Ericsson, Sony Ericsson, Nokia, Symbian and Motorola...

Windows Phone is dead.

It was once very good, but like many of Microsoft's strategic moves in the last decade, it's no longer a compelling option.

I'm not saying Windows Phones are crap, they aren't... but they are simply hamstrung by awful strategy from MS (losing backward compatibility with pre wp7 apps), very limited development community support (developers go where the money is, and that's with iPhone, then Android).

It's a shame really, but they have only themselves to blame.

I honestly cannot see how any reasonably minded person and truly believe Windows Phones are the future. The sales volumes are dire, and many carriers simply won't range them.

I'm sure there's a number of sync apps that will let you transfer your PIM data to 'the cloud' (preferably google).

Ask yourself this though... do you continue to go with a manufacturer trying to tie you in? and thus end up even further tied in, or do you cut your loses and make a switch?

I was a MobileMe (as it used to be called) user (Apple's cloud service), but soon ditched it due to poor support, and them charging for it. I switched to google's cloud stuff, which although not as polished, is free, and fairly easy to port data between. I can keep all my PIM data in sync with a Windows Phone, iPhone or Android phone all using Google. I couldn't do that with Apple's cloud services.

Apple do things wonderfully, so long as you bend to their will, and do it their way.

Google don't do things quite as well, but they are more open to you doing things your own way.

I like to do things my way - so Google gets my money (via Android).