You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

On 10/11/2018 at 12:53 PM, Scal Capone said:

Does comrade Batchain Puller still frequent this fine establishment? What about Stouffer? 

Stouffer, yes. Batchain Puller not so much.

And are you related to SKI?

3 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Are you angling to get her back, because sometimes you need someone to turn to as you both smile, roll your eyes and say "O-o-oh! Those boys! What are they like?"

I was just curious.

There were plural female posters on the GF when I first joined. And then there was just me

4 hours ago, Stouffer said:

Alreet D, how's tricks?

As eccentric as always, mate.  I got married, got myself a doctorate in behavioural neuroscience, then I ended up as a postman, and I have been perennially depressed ever since. We have an amazing son, Joseph, though, who will be three in December, and he inspires me more than anything.

I need to find a new job, but I have no real idea what it is I would like to do. I realised I didn't like - or wasn't very good at - the practical element of science, the rigours of being in a lab every day,  as well as the attendant anxiety associated with conducting high level research (i.e what if I contaminated my samples, did I mix the right concentration of paraformaldehyde, was the correct dose of drug administered etc) . In short, I have ADHD and OCD and the lab-based aspect of my PhD exposed my limitations and I became thoroughly depressed during my PhD. Depression amongst PhD students is alarmingly high.

It was the theory which excited me, the big sky thinking, the process of trying to organise seemingly disparate ideas around a unifying concept, that's what grabbed me, not painstakingly pipetting protein samples for hours on end, whilst my mind was jumping all over the place thinking about what to have for tea, or whether I felt that Liverpool were capable of winning the league. I am not cut out for that, and Gem fell pregnant shortly after I submitted my thesis and I had to take the first job that came along as we had no money, and the impending arrival of our son to deal with, so I took a job as Christmas casual sorting mail, and then ended up on a zero hours contract - which was hell on earth - before eventually being given a permanent contract on part time hours. I need out, though, but it's not as easy as it seems.

What about you, mate?

• Upvote 8

On 10/16/2018 at 11:39 PM, Scal Capone said:

As eccentric as always, mate.  I got married, got myself a doctorate in behavioural neuroscience, then I ended up as a postman, and I have been perennially depressed ever since. We have an amazing son, Joseph, though, who will be three in December, and he inspires me more than anything.

I need to find a new job, but I have no real idea what it is I would like to do. I realised I didn't like - or wasn't very good at - the practical element of science, the rigours of being in a lab every day,  as well as the attendant anxiety associated with conducting high level research (i.e what if I contaminated my samples, did I mix the right concentration of paraformaldehyde, was the correct dose of drug administered etc) . In short, I have ADHD and OCD and the lab-based aspect of my PhD exposed my limitations and I became thoroughly depressed during my PhD. Depression amongst PhD students is alarmingly high.

It was the theory which excited me, the big sky thinking, the process of trying to organise seemingly disparate ideas around a unifying concept, that's what grabbed me, not painstakingly pipetting protein samples for hours on end, whilst my mind was jumping all over the place thinking about what to have for tea, or whether I felt that Liverpool were capable of winning the league. I am not cut out for that, and Gem fell pregnant shortly after I submitted my thesis and I had to take the first job that came along as we had no money, and the impending arrival of our son to deal with, so I took a job as Christmas casual sorting mail, and then ended up on a zero hours contract - which was hell on earth - before eventually being given a permanent contract on part time hours. I need out, though, but it's not as easy as it seems.

What about you, mate?

Had a busy few years pal.

Got married, and had two ankle biters.

Got divorced, changed jobs as my old job involved being away from home and quite frequently abroad which meant I'd never have gotten to see the kids.

Got married again in June and moved to the lake district. I miss the boys during the week immensely but I'm happier than I've ever been.

• Upvote 2