You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Marquee Player

Marko121

Unfortunately, I reckon Suarez will move on in the Summer, especially if we are not in Europe, although I hope to God he stays for a long long time.

Our esteemed Owners know the value of a Marquee Player for shirt sales, merchandise, marketing etc.

Who do you think they will choose, should the unthinkable happen??

I have a nagging suspicion ( based on nothing but a gut feeling ) that the Yanks are hoping Coutinho becomes the next face of the marketing campaigns and i have a doubt that whatever money we may get from Luis will not be re-invested in its entirety.

Discuss??

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you not see the interview before the match yesterday from Suarez?

He said he is staying next season.

[YOUTUBE]w_SwoLXQZT0[/YOUTUBE]

Did you not see the interview before the match yesterday from Suarez?

He said he is staying next season.

No sorry - didnt see it as i was at the game from early. Not beyond possibility that he will leave anyway.

Would love him to stay forever, but the lad deserves to play in Champions League - just hope its with us.

Am I insane or does anyone else think if we do not have European football next season, we will actually challenge for the title, never mind 4th place?

I'd say you are a bit insane.

But no EL will probably get us a better chance to break into the top four, i think that much is true because it means less games and more focus can be put on the league. Where as i dont think EL will make any sort of difference to who we'll be able to sign or keep.

Insanity it is then.

I do think a lot of factors will be in our favor if we only have the PL to focus on.

I don't think Brendan would get a hard time in season number 1 of 3 year contract for no european football.

Primarily, Gerrard can give us 38 performances in the league. Our new system and management team has had a year to click. Suarez/Sturridge/Coutinho will only get better.

Am I insane or does anyone else think if we do not have European football next season, we will actually challenge for the title, never mind 4th place?

I think it's possible. I was looking back at previous league tables the other day just to see how far behind we are now compared to where we were. I noticed that in Rafa's first season we had 58 points but the next season finished 1 point off the mancs with 82. I reckon we will end up somewhere around 60/65 this year and it's possible the league could be won with around 80/85 points. A similar increase could see us challenge but the problem is that in the close season between 05/06 we signed Momo, Reina and Crouch all of which were great for us. We would need 3 or 4 signings to come in and every single one be boss which is unlikely. It's probably more likely I'm bending statistics to suit an insane agenda.

I think it's possible. I was looking back at previous league tables the other day just to see how far behind we are now compared to where we were. I noticed that in Rafa's first season we had 58 points but the next season finished 1 point off the mancs with 82. I reckon we will end up somewhere around 60/65 this year and it's possible the league could be won with around 80/85 points. A similar increase could see us challenge but the problem is that in the close season between 05/06 we signed Momo, Reina and Crouch all of which were great for us. We would need 3 or 4 signings to come in and every single one be boss which is unlikely. It's probably more likely I'm bending statistics to suit an insane agenda.

my suggestion was really, if we do not have additional midweek games, all our eggs are effectively in 1 basket, we don't need additional 3-4 players. Maybe 1 or 2 will do.

IMO, we have Gerrard & Suarez as "marquee" players. I think Brendan is building around Suarez with Coutinho and Sturridge, signing Allen alongside Lucas should take defending away from Gerrard.

my suggestion was really, if we do not have additional midweek games, all our eggs are effectively in 1 basket, we don't need additional 3-4 players. Maybe 1 or 2 will do.

IMO, we have Gerrard & Suarez as "marquee" players. I think Brendan is building around Suarez with Coutinho and Sturridge, signing Allen alongside Lucas should take defending away from Gerrard.

I hope you're proved right but I'm not sure about that. I mean we weren't in Europe last year which may have helped in the cup competitions but it definately didn't do us much good in the league. Maybe you're right about 1 or 2 players if we don't make Europe as we would have less games I guess.

I hope you're proved right but I'm not sure about that. I mean we weren't in Europe last year which may have helped in the cup competitions but it definately didn't do us much good in the league. Maybe you're right about 1 or 2 players if we don't make Europe as we would have less games I guess.

So the logic is that players not good enough to qualify for Euro competition are good enough to win the league/top four?

You're talking about about marquee signings for next season, I would be very surprised if Suarez wasn't impressed by our winter signings. Hopefully the signings are enough to convince him we are moving in the right direction.

I think the trio of Sturridge, Countinho and Suarez has the potential to be devastating.

I think the summer will be about defensive signings rather than attacking signings.

A defender who is powerful, good in the air, has pace and also positional sense to hold a high line is probably going to eat up most of our transfer budget but that is what we need rather than a 'marquee' signing.