You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

should the poor be taxed more?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. should the poor be taxed more?

• yes they dont pay tax
    • no, it's more typical tory behaviour

Let's examine the facts.

In an unrelated thread you attributed a direct quote to me that was particularly vile and unpleasant. When challenged you subsequently corrected your mistake, apologised but then negged me anyway. I have learned to live with the shame and stigma your actions have brought.

In this thread you attribute a statement to Rico which he explicitly states is not what he is saying.

Then you suggest that I try to keep up with the thread. Oh dear. You seem to be making a habit of this. Maybe you should read threads a little more caerphilly.

Now consider your experience of private landlords. Any private landlords I have met have been extremely keen to keep hold of decent tenants who pay their rent. But this is not your experience. It makes me wonder why. However, I'm sure you will have a hard luck story that will have the Jeremy Kyle audience weeping into their hankies.

Keep on negging and I'm sure my turn will come around soon enough.

Doubt it, you'd have to cough up and contribute towards the site for you to be able to neg me. Your having been here a year and still not managed that says more than you think.

Facts eh? Negs eh? Shit man, that neg must have been traumatic for you to take such umbridge to follow me around on an internet forum? There's a therapy thread on here, favourite negging bastards. You should check it out.

Oh and by the way, my posts with Rico were completely civil, unlike your contributions to the thread.

Rico - in your earlier posts on this thread were you alluding that once a families circumstances have changed and they're earning an adequate income that would enable them to afford private sector rent that they should be moved on from social housing (ie - no longer eligible) to allow someone else in need have that property? Or alternatively make them pay the going private sector rent (which fails to free the said property for those in need) If i've got it wrong, I'll apologise - as i do when i get it wrong.

Melons is ace, despite living in a place called Wales. Carry on.

Yeah, but i get free prescriptions, and cheaper uni fees, it makes it almost worth my kids having a cofi accent - almost.

Big tits too.

Tits? You should see the size of my biceps these days!

Facts eh? Negs eh? Shit man' date=' that neg must have been traumatic for you to take such umbridge to follow me around on an internet forum? There's a therapy thread on here, favourite negging bastards. You should check it out.

[/quote']

Did you mention your periods in your neg to him? That traumatised me to be fair.

You took away my innocence with that neg.

Tenants' rent arrears soar in pilot benefit scheme

Rent arrears among tenants on a government pilot project that pays housing benefit directly to recipients have seen a big increase' date=' figures show.

One area is predicting a £14m loss if the new system is implemented for all its tenants, the BBC has learned.

Paying housing benefit directly to recipients, rather than their landlords, will form a key part of the planned new Universal Credit.

The government says lessons will be learned from the pilot projects.

It wants to pay recipients directly as they think it will increase their sense of responsibility over their own lives and make them better able to cope should they move into a job.

The Department for Work and Pensions has run pilot projects in six areas since last June to see how well tenants would cope with having their housing benefit paid directly to them.

Thousands of people have been moved onto the new scheme in the selected areas - Edinburgh, Wakefield, Shropshire, Oxford, Cwmbran and Southwark in south London.

Arrears fears

Figures obtained by BBC News show that arrears among tenants of Wakefield and District Housing in West Yorkshire have increased from an average of 2% to 11% on the pilot projects.

Chief executive Kevin Dodd said he hoped the level of arrears would fall as they made efforts to help tenants better manage their money.

But even taking that into account, he told the BBC: "If you roll that out to 31,000 tenancies we will be increasing our bad debt provision by a further £2-3m a year."

Bron Afon community housing in south Wales said it had seen a 50% increase in arrears, while pilot projects in Edinburgh, Oxford and Southwark are showing around 30% increases in arrears.

Southwark Council predicts it will incur £14m in arrears if direct payment is introduced to all their tenants.

"People have clocked up arrears who were not in arrears before," says Duncan Forbes, chief executive of Bron Afon.

"And the worry is will they panic, will they stop paying, will they feel they've lost control and end up being evicted."

One tenant failing to cope is Margaret Tonks, a single mother from Broseley, Shropshire.

She approached her local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) after using some of her housing benefit to pay for gas and electricity and has now built up arrears.

"I do not know why they moved me to the new scheme," she said. "I hardly have enough money to live day-to-day.

"By them paying the money directly to me it created temptation to use it for other things which has resulted in me being in arrears and possibly being evicted. "

Staffing costs

It is a story familiar to Andrea Thomas, a CAB manager in Cwmbran, south Wales. Several local tenants on the direct payments project have needed help to cope with the new system, all with mental health problems.

"The reality that we found is that the most vulnerable people in society... they simply cannot cope with it," she said.

"So they are the ones at risk of not realising what the money in their bank account is for and going out and spending it."

As well as noticing a large increase in arrears, all the pilot projects have seen increases in the costs of getting the rent from the tenants. Some projects have had to double staffing costs as many tenants have been unwilling to pay by direct debit.

In Bron Afon, approximately 90% of tenants do not pay by direct debit.

"Direct debits are not a good way of paying if you are on very low incomes," says Duncan Forbes.

"If a direct debit is due and there is no money in the bank, it can cost you £30-£40 as a penalty."

None of the projects the BBC spoke to have any regrets about their involvement in the pilots and many talk about the willingness of their tenants to engage with them.

But the reality for all of them is that their incomes have fallen and their costs have increased, leading to greater uncertainty for both them and their tenants.

The Department for Work and Pensions said it has helped the pilots to learn lessons and ensure the scheme is effectively implemented.

Minister Steve Webb said: "We currently pay housing benefit directly to one million people in the private sector and that works pretty well.

"We are trying to treat people in council houses the same way, but we want to get it right."[/quote']

Wow, what a surprise this is!

This is pretty much what Melons, myself and one or two others said a few months back regarding this scheme.

Razor's Jeremy Kyle comment is exactly the way the tories look at the general public below themselves and their rich friends and is quite relevant to why they do these things to ordinary people.

Not saying Razor is a tory, I just think he likes to play devil's advocate in these threads to add a different viewpoint. I may be wrong but thats the impression I get.

Wow, what a surprise this is!

This is pretty much what Melons, myself and one or two others said a few months back regarding this scheme.

Razor's Jeremy Kyle comment is exactly the way the tories look at the general public below themselves and their rich friends and is quite relevant to why they do these things to ordinary people.

Not saying Razor is a tory, I just think he likes to play devil's advocate in these threads to add a different viewpoint. I may be wrong but thats the impression I get.

I'd love to see someone ask IDS if he classed his wife as a scrounger.

Google Betsygate.

He paid her handsomely at the public expense as his diary secretary. Only she didn't do any work.

That aint 'scrounging' that's stealing and on a par with what Chris Huhne did in my book....although I dont suppose Betsy (is she American?) put up much of a fight

Doubt it, you'd have to cough up and contribute towards the site for you to be able to neg me. Your having been here a year and still not managed that says more than you think.

!

Really? What does it say about me?

What I meant was that I am sure you will get around to negging enough other posters so that you will be able to neg me again at some point in the future. I have no desire, nor crave the ability, to wield the mighty sword of neg.

As Lifetime Fan suggests my dig about Jeremy Kyle was a cheap shot (although completely intentional). So I apologise for that unreservedly.

Furthermore, on LFs advice that I should tell you if I don't like you, I will say that I don't like your internet persona - if that is what you are like in real life then there is an obvious assumption to make. I think you are an inverted snob who craves status, recognition or acknowledgement. But I'm sure you hold me in equally high regard.

I am more than happy to hold out an olive branch and call a truce. As a gesture of my good intent I will advise that the word you used in your previous post should have been umbrage (not umbridge). I hope you find this helpful.

Really? What does it say about me?

I reckon it makes you out to be a tight arse.

What I meant was that I am sure you will get around to negging enough other posters so that you will be able to neg me again at some point in the future. I have no desire, nor crave the ability, to wield the mighty sword of neg.

Yep, managed that today, check your user CP. You're missing out too, negging peers can be quite amusing on a dull day.

As Lifetime Fan suggests my dig about Jeremy Kyle was a cheap shot (although completely intentional). So I apologise for that unreservedly.

Why apologise if it was intentional?

Furthermore, on LFs advice that I should tell you if I don't like you, I will say that I don't like your internet persona - if that is what you are like in real life then there is an obvious assumption to make.

I think it is actually, you'll have to ask the others if I'm a bitch on here and in the real world because i honestly don't think I'm a bitch in either place, unless you're my ex husband, then I am indeed a bitch. Feel free to make your assumptions, I've never met you, I'm also unlikely too so no love lost, eh?

I think you are an inverted snob who craves status, recognition or acknowledgement. But I'm sure you hold me in equally high regard.

I suppose i could be an inverted snob, I expect I do display traits of it as do many others, but thank you for pointing out what you consider flaws in my personality. I have no issues with people who've worked their bollox off to better themselves but i do have issues with people treading on the poorer members of society in their aspiration to die with a few (or a few more) million in the bank.

I am more than happy to hold out an olive branch and call a truce. As a gesture of my good intent I will advise that the word you used in your previous post should have been umbrage (not umbridge). I hope you find this helpful.

Apologies for the typo, I've used bowel instead of bowl on this fora many a time. Dolores will be most disappointed.

Get a room.

It'd be a spare one, fortunately i don't get housing benefit so it is an option I suppose.

Ideally though, he will appreciate his initial dig was well off the mark kindly fuck off. Though if he wishes to take it to PM he can feel free.

Monkey/LF I've not mentioned my tumor riddden vagina/cervix/uterus periods in ages! Mainly because i've not been posting like, but you know...

He did die two years ago; without wanting to sound heartless, there has to come a time when the state stops subsidising rooms for the dead.

I wonder if you would be understanding of a toff who wanted to defer inheritance tax indefinitely too. My guess is no.

I see.

Is this a special 'reckoning' that applies only to me or does it also apply to other forumites who have been registered for more than 12 months?

Take it to PM, if you're going to post in a thread contribute to its flow and debate the topic, not bitch at me, trust me, you're not worth the steam off my piss.

He did die two years ago; without wanting to sound heartless, there has to come a time when the state stops subsidising rooms for the dead.

I wonder if you would be understanding of a toff who wanted to defer inheritance tax indefinitely too. My guess is no.

Failed.

And no, there doesnt.

Perhaps the government should stop subsidising the rich?

With your 'logic' dont you think its time we bulldozed cemetaries to build new houses or offices?

Failed.

And no, there doesnt.

Perhaps the government should stop subsidising the rich?

With your 'logic' dont you think its time we bulldozed cemetaries to build new houses or

What about fairness? You can't write the rules to take all circumstances into account.

I suspect this is going to be a monumental disaster.

Classic cost cutting exercise pandering to the Daily Mail style belief that the 'feckless' poor will be motivated by the infliction of financial pain.

The 'wealth creators' are of course motivated to 'invest' in the countries future by a flexible taxation system.

How about solving the actual problem - build some more houses; rather than relying on inflamatory spin, such as Rico's Mercedes on the front drive.