You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fat useless cunt

Eh? He was playing for a top team that was consistently winning and challenging for top honours. Fans that adored him and a club and manager that he liked. Why would he have to move just to prove something to some strange people that didn't think he was a brilliant player? Which he clearly was.

I remember him being surrounded by about seven youth team graduates but there you go.

Also' date=' whoever it was above: Faggot? Behave.[/quote']

Yes,they were dominating England but underachieving in Europe,which generally a sign of how good you really.

Not saying he was shit,he was an excellent player,he was just overrated in my opinion and the players around him werent given the credit either.

He was supported ably by the likes of Schmeichel,Pallister,Bruce,Irwin,Keane/Ince,plus Scholes,Beckham,Giggs,etc.

Not a bad supporting cast really and hardly inexperienced.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes,they were dominating England but underachieving in Europe,which generally a sign of how good you really.

Not saying he was shit,he was an excellent player,he was just overrated in my opinion and the players around him werent given the credit either.

He was supported ably by the likes of Schmeichel,Pallister,Bruce,Irwin,Keane/Ince,plus Scholes,Beckham,Giggs,etc.

I think Stu is pointing to the fact you said Cantona never had the guts to go abroad to play.

I also hope no further explanation is needed.

Feared the worst when I opened this, thought it was relating to my 'performance' up front alongside Dr Troy last Thursday night.

So relieved to see it was about Ruddock.

We were all fat useless cunts that game, I'm still having Vietnam flashbacks about that game a week later....

Agree about Cantona being overrated. He was a top class player no doubt, but he was very much built up into something else. He never shone on the world or european stages and I doubt any foreign teams really considered him the mancs' danger man, more likely Giggs. Not in the same league as players like Bergkamp and Forwler from that era.

Cantona not World Class????? I swear to God I've been watching a completely different sport this last quarter of a century. He was absolutely fucking magnificent and the Genesis of the Utd behemoth that haunts and tortures us to this very day.

This

Souness turned down Cantona offer

May 7 2002 Liverpool Echo

FORMER Liverpool boss Graeme Souness today admitted he helped Manchester United dominate the 1990s by turning down the chance to sign Eric Cantona.

Souness, who brings his Blackburn team to Anfield tomorrow, says he was offered Cantona in 1991 when the French star was still at Auxerre.

He revealed he turned them down because he thought he'd be a 'problem'.

The striker went on to help Leeds to the title and Manchester United to several major honours.

Souness says the offer was made after Liverpool's UEFA Cup victory over Auxerre 11 years ago.

"After the game I was in my office and there was a French guy waiting to see me. It was Michael Platini. He said he had a player for me. A player who'd had problems but would love to play for Liverpool. That player was Eric Cantona. At that time we didn't need any more problems"

I think Stu is pointing to the fact you said Cantona never had the guts to go abroad to play.

I also hope no further explanation is needed.

I'm sure you realise that I meant that he didnt play in the glamour league of the time, Serie A and rub shoulders with the best players at the time.

Agree with Sections post previously anyway.

I seem to recall they were hampered by the 3 foreign players rule.

I'm sure you realise that I meant that he didnt play in the glamour league of the time, Serie A and rub shoulders with the best players at the time.

Agree with Sections post previously anyway.

You said he did not try his luck abroad while he was actually playing abroad.

Funny thing I know.

You said he did not try his luck abroad while he was actually playing abroad.

Funny thing I know.

Being English and him being a United player means not England to me. (Yes I understand he began in his home country of France but his career wasnt of note, from a footballing standpoint, until United.)

Both of these are abroad to you of course seeing as you are a Norgie.

I seem to recall they were hampered by the 3 foreign players rule.

This as well Tony mate. To me is seems to me like Cantona and Utd just clicked. Ferguson really got the best out of Cantona for those 4 or 5 years. He was the catalyst for all that followed.

Being English and him being a United player means not England to me. (Yes I understand he began in his home country of France but his career wasnt of note, from a footballing standpoint, until United.)

Both of these are abroad to you of course seeing as you are a Norgie.

Are you from Wigan or something?

Cantona played abroad no matter where you come from, seeing as he is French.

Cantona started his career in 1983, not in 92 when he signed fro the mancs, maybe Aguero and Silva needs to try their luck abroad too, or reina and Suarez, seiing as they are all English.

Cantona spent a couple of seasons at Marseille and won the league twice with them, they won the Champions League two years after he left but I guess playing for them means nothing comapred to the mancs who had won it last time in the 60's.

Are you from Wigan or something?

Cantona played abroad no matter where you come from' date=' seeing as he is French.

Cantona started his career in 1983, not in 92 when he signed fro the mancs, maybe Aguero and Silva needs to try their luck abroad too, or reina and Suarez, seiing as they are all English.

Cantona spent a couple of seasons at Marseille and won the league twice with them, they won the Champions League two years after he left but I guess playing for them means nothing comapred to the mancs who had won it last time in the 60's.[/quote']

He left a side that cheated their way to the Champions League title and wasnt there anyway at the time and his next team didnt win it until he left them.

There was also Sheff Wed and Leeds in between.

Somebody from the back arse of beyond asks me if Im from Wigan too,haha.

I said he was overrated not shit.

I don't think Cantona was ever particularly highly rated outside of England was he? He had something of a journeyman career in France and had been dropped from the national team. He'd never excelled against the very best in Europe or on the international stage, and played in an outstanding manc side during the 90s when the league's players and tactics - especially defences - were vastly inferior to what they are now. He was a class player, no doubt about it, but he wasn't up there with the very best IMO, much of it was branding - collar up, comeback goal against us, the mancs doing what they do best and turning a sport into a pop video. In fact when you used to see him on those Nike adverts with the likes of Davids and Ronaldinho it all looked slightly contrived and quite ridiculous.

He left a side that cheated their way to the Champions League title and wasnt there anyway at the time and his next team didnt win it until he left them.

There was also Sheff Wed and Leeds in between.

Somebody from the back arse of beyond asks me if Im from Wigan too,haha.

I said he was overrated not shit.

You said he never dared to play abroad, its probably one of the most stupid statements I've ever seen seeing that was exactly what he was doing.