You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A shit Championship player, right?

The only times Shelvey has showed anything remotely close to being anything more than a mediocre player is when we have played total shite teams like early Europa League rounds and lower league teams in the cups.

This is backed up by his scoring a few goals when on loan in the championship, how many players have we not seen scored loads in the championship and totally fallen through in the PL?

As an attacking midfiewlder he has played 44 PL games and scored 2 goals, not good enough by any stretch.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are you so cynical about this? If you believe in the manager then it's obvious he should be able to achieve this feat. For instance' date=' replacing Aquilani on £125k/w with a better player at that salary should be doable considering he did fuck all for us? Joe Cole? Are you really saying it's not possible to improve on these duds without increasing the salaries of their replacements?[/quote']

But we are talking about the likes of Reina and Enrique who are top notch experienced players and replacing them and letting their replacements settle in might just put us out of contention for yet another season.

Thats the last thing we need if we want to be challenging for Europe again.

Why are you so cynical about this? If you believe in the manager then it's obvious he should be able to achieve this feat. For instance, replacing Aquilani on £125k/w with a better player at that salary should be doable considering he did fuck all for us? Joe Cole? Are you really saying it's not possible to improve on these duds without increasing the salaries of their replacements?

I am not yet convinced we have the expertise and judgment at the club to do this. I hope we do, and I look forward to it.

I have expressed "doubt" and "trepidation" about it. That's all.

If my tonality comes across as cynicism, then that might have as much to do with the trenchant conviction some others have in this being a fait accompli as it has with my not thinking it a done deal, until I've seen sustained evidence.

I believe in my club, but perhaps not in exactly the same components as you do, for example. That happens. If my "belief" comes across as disingenuous or cynical, then perhaps what is being inferred... not just implied by me... plays a part in your judgment.

I am not yet convinced we have the expertise and judgment at the club to do this. I hope we do, and I look forward to it.

I have expressed "doubt" and "trepidation" about it. That's all.

If my tonality comes across as cynicism, then that might have as much to do with the trenchant conviction some others have in this being a fait accompli as it has with my not thinking it a done deal, until I've seen sustained evidence.

I believe in my club, but perhaps not in exactly the same components as you do, for example. That happens. If my "belief" comes across as disingenuous or cynical, then perhaps what is being inferred... not just implied by me... plays a part in your judgment.

Wasn't having a go, just curious. To me replacing underperforming players is a part of the core business in the club and although form has been picking up lately for Pepe and Enrique I believe those and Skrtel, Shelvey, Downing should be replaced if the right players are available at sensible prices.

Can we do it? Considering our history the last 20 years I can understand your pessimism.

Wasn't having a go, just curious. To me replacing underperforming players is a part of the core business in the club and although form has been picking up lately for Pepe and Enrique I believe those and Skrtel, Shelvey, Downing should be replaced if the right players are available at sensible prices.

Can we do it? Considering our history the last 20 years I can understand your pessimism.

Indeed. I'd love to simply believe.

But I'm a doubting Thomas and will need to see it.

Oh well. It takes all kinds.

I like him, I would rather loan him out, however if we were to be offered £7 Million for him I would snap the buyers hand off as that is a good profit on a player we paid £1.5M for just two years ago.

That would be my thinking too, could be a very good player one day but he looks a long way off our first XI. He will probably end up looking great on match of the day, scoring 5 or 6 screamers a season playing for West Ham or Villa.

Just so we're all clear, the twitter "source" for this particular piece of garbage is the same lad who, when RAWK made up a Spurs link to Sturridge in December tweeted that he was "asking questions of his source," but he was "pretty sure it was Inter trying to drive up the price."

He knows the square root of nothing.

Now, I'm not saying that Shelvey isn't for sale, because he very well may be, but if "melly" from twitter says it's true, then in my mind the odds are better that it's not.

Already pointed out its most likely bollocks, don't spoil peoples fun!

It would make sense to sell him if we get an offer of £7+ million for him. I've always liked him but it's hard to see him breaking into the side anytime soon and if we bring another central midfielder in during the summer then he'll be even further down the pecking order. He's a good lad who should be playing regularly.

At the moment he has potential, not good enough for the 1st team, but he needs games to develop. So the best thing for both parties would be a loan to a decent club where he gets games. With the experience he now has, it should be possible to raise interest from a PL club.

These players were all signed under an old reign and if this is true the i suspect a big part of the reason for getting rid of these players is their wages as FSG are trying to restructure the way they are paid.I think Carra may have hinted at this recently too.

Maybe some wages need to be trimmed to keep Suarez too?

I dont think Shelvey will be anything special but I'd be a bit concerned about all the others bar Downing,who I'd be happy to see go.

Interesting.

Can you go into any more detail about the bit I put in bold?

Do they think the wages were not performance led, that the basic was too high and the bonuses too low in comparison?

If so then fair play to them, make them earn their corn.

I don't know about this ..

I think Shelvey is struggling with the reality that he is not good as he thinks he is. Once he gets over that, he will be fine.

There is a quality player inside, but I think we need to be patient with him

I wouldn't be pleased if he was sold

Interesting.

Can you go into any more detail about the bit I put in bold?

Do they think the wages were not performance led' date=' that the basic was too high and the bonuses too low in comparison?

If so then fair play to them, make them earn their corn.[/quote']

Cant see the bold part as im on forum runner.

If you mean about Carra and changes to the contract payments, I simply heard something about Carra not being confident of getting another contract due to his age and if he got one it may be highly reduced or something like pay as you play.

Just a rumour like but I think somebody said something on here about it.

Guest San Don
I don't know about this ..

I think Shelvey is struggling with the reality that he is not good as he thinks he is. Once he gets over that, he will be fine.

There is a quality player inside, but I think we need to be patient with him

I wouldn't be pleased if he was sold

Er what, so once he 'knows' he's not as good as he thinks and recognises his level, he'll be good enough for us?

And you're happy to keep a player who really isnt that good even by his own admission in accepting he isnt as good as he thinks?

What warped logic is that?

At the moment,

an assuming any formation we play has at least one defensive midfielder, our midfield options are as follows, in order of what I suspect is BR's preference,

- Defensive midfield - Lucas, Gerrard, Allen, Henderson (Shelvey?)

- Orthodox CM - Gerrard, Allen, Henderson, Lucas, Shelvey, Suso

- Attcking Midfield - Allen, Henderson, Gerrard, Coutinho, Shelvey, Suso

- Wide Positions - Downing, Coutinho, Henderson, Shelvey, Enrique, Suso,

The wide positions exclude Sturridge, Borini and Suarez and whene everyone is fit one of those will occupy a 'wide' position or drop deeper. That means that there are seven 1st team squad central midfielders plus downing competing for a maximum of 4 places when Sturridge and Suarez are both fit.

Allen, Coutinho and Henderson are all young and look likely to be ahead of Shelvey in the pecking order. Allen and Henderson are flexible enough to provide cover across a lot of the midfield.

If Allen and Henderso both stay for 2 years, is difficult to see Shelvey an opportunity unlessomehow gets a prolonged run and makes himself indispensable. The same can be said for Suso whose best position has been filled by Coutinho.

Gerrard has been ever present in the league this season and on that basis is likely to be a regular for at least another year. If Lucas leaves it will only be because we have found a better, experienced replacement.

It follows that over the next two years the opportunities for Shelvey and Suso will be extremely limited.

The options are (a) Sell one out of Allen and Henderson on the basis that they are too similar and letting them go will enable us to bring on Suso and/or Shelvey;

(b) Sell One of Suso and Shelvey on the basinot going to get gae time in tue, they will therefore not develop and their value may not increase.

© Sell any two of Allen Henderson, Suso, Shelvey and Downing, puttit of faith in Coutinho and promoting Coady, possibly using funds to strengthen elsewhere or buy an experinced DM.

I like a lot of things about Shelvey and I genuinely think he can be a match winning player, but his career trajectory so far reminds me a bit of Don Hutchinson. I think he'd take a move to a London club (Watfordor Place if they come up, West Ham etc) and I think we coudl get 6M for him now - alternatively a season long loan plus an option to sign. My number one option woudl be to sell him.

As for Suso, I think he shoud have been involved more over the last 2-3 months. I think has real star potential and I imagine he will want to be playing first team football next season - he needs to play regularly to develop. We could probaby get decent money for him now, but we woudl be missing out. What we can do is let him rot in the reserves.

I really rate Henderson and I think he could be a beast for us - if he doesn't make it with us I can see him being bought by another top club a couple of years down the line. However, selling him now would probably bring in £10 - 12M or so and allow us to bring on one out of Shelvey and Suso.

Not sure about Allen but can't see the boss selling him.

All things considered and with a heavy heart I'd take what we can get for Shelvey. Sometimes it's just not meant to be - ask Kevin Sheedy and Alan HArper - speaing of which he'd probably fit in well there.

Shelvey as a DM?

Yeah alright, shame as I wouldve read the rest of your post as it looked interesting but I'm going to use the time to write a scathing attack on the idea of Shelvey as a DM, its enough to send Didi Hamaan to reach for his richmonds and gamble ten grand on Joey Barton being voted the next lottery winner.