You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Vegetarianism

King Emlyn

Are you a vegetarian?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a vegetarian?

• Yes, meat is murder
    • No, I love meat me
    • I should consider it really
    • I have no intention of ever entertaining the idea

My point basically was that Vegis are blind half of them don't realize just what they eat and drink take Quorn for instance its made with egg whites' date=' Sometimes in some cases Slaughter of a quick unknown pain rating death is better than being kept alive and going through endless pain and torture. I am a strong believer in if you are vegi then you should be pure like a Vegan.[/quote']

You're incredibly presumptuous about other people's knowledge, particularly given yours is so lacking.

There are vegetarians and there are vegans, so for a vegetarian eating quorn even though it has eggs in it is ok, for a vegan it's a no no. I've not eaten meat for 17 years and rarely eat quorn and soya nowadays although I did when I first gave up meat. There's loads of great veggie recipes around and lots of nice veggie cheeses and the like.I love lentils in particular but it took me a while to investigate the pulses and all that.

The only person preaching it seems to me is mad Simon.

It's very much a personal choice, I'd never ever preach to anybody but I just can't justify it to myself anymore.

So, nothing with legs but you're going to be eating dairy? And fish?

Genuinely interested....its not to be read as an accusation. Like you, I think these things are entirely up to the individual. I dabbled with it years ago but then returned to meat eating.

Particularly thinking about my daughter, while I had no issue with her not wanting to eat meat as her parent it is my responsibility to make sure she gets a balanced diet...and therefore to ensure that the protein she is losing from not eating meat is found from other sources

Comparing job losses to eating a chicken is pretty laughable there mate, I have to say.

I'm personally not trying to 'excuse' anything as it demands no excuses, the predator-prey relationship is as fundamental to nature as procreation. Try taking carnivores - including yourself - out of the equation, and see how quickly your back garden turns into New Zealand.

People are also conveniently forgetting here that this is a meat INDUSTRY, these animals would not exist at all if they were not bred for food, you can not take something away they would not have had. Surely you realise there's a fundamental difference here between taking a spear and killing someone's family dog just as it's about to sit down for a nap in front of the fire, and eating a chicken which was bred by Morrisons and has probably been alive for a matter of weeks?

Personally I don't feel guilt about it, I feel no need to 'excuse' it, I just don't get why anyone would expend that much thought on an animal. The fact people lose sleep over a Hen's living conditions while there are people out there living on the streets absolutely astounds me, I've got very little time for a creature which can live for extended periods without a head.

This is a broad point and not one personally aimed at you, but I've always found people who get overly preoccupied with animals a little bit weird. At the extreme end of the scale are people who are into animal rights. And I'm sure we've all met our fair share of people who come out with things like "I prefer animals to humans, they don't hurt you". Such people are usually quite friendly with vodka and Stanley blades.

So no, I'm not arsed personally. I've got complete respect for people who want to go that way, good for them, but trying to convince me it's somehow inherently morally wrong or I'm a twat for adhering to inbuilt appetites is insulting.

Just pick you up on a few points quickly, the first being I thought it was clear I was using the job losses as a comparison to illustrate my point, not saying they are the same thing, but maybe it never came across like that.

The other thing, which is trotted out quite often, is the ' why worry about animals when there are humans living on the streets or dying in a 3rd world country?. ' I find that pretty insulting to be honest. Most people I know are capable of caring about more than one thing at once, I donate monthly to a few animal charities, but I also donate to a few that deal with human issues. I care about both. It also pisses me off, and this isn't aimed at you, that you can't have an opinion on the matter to some people otherwise you are ' preaching. '

To be honest, my initial post wasn't really aimed at you. Like I said though, I do think it's selfish people eating meat when they don't have to, but that's their choice.My mrs, dad, brother, sister etc... all eat meat every day and I've no problem with that. Anyway, I'm getting dragged to Red Hot Buffet now, extremely hungover to have something to eat with my wife and 3 of her elderly relatives. I'm hurting just thinking about it.

* Simon, please don't respond to this, thanks.

I eat veg and meat i believe thats why there here and if we didnt eat meat then them animals would have no purpose therefore would not be bread. Just because i eat meat does not mean i dont respect its life. Anything that goes to waist food wise gets a kiss from me as a sign of respect i say thanks to it as well, And in terms of meat and tend to buy bits that people don't eat Hearts Kidneys etc are so cheap.

I eat veg and meat i believe thats why there here and if we didnt eat meat then them animals would have no purpose therefore would not be bread. Just because i eat meat does not mean i dont respect its life. Anything that goes to waist food wise gets a kiss from me as a sign of respect i say thanks to it as well, And in terms of meat and tend to buy bits that people don't eat Hearts Kidneys etc are so cheap.

Animals are not bread, they're meat. Don't say we don't try educate you here.

• Upvote 1

Old school Cheeses still use it especially Cheap ones in the supermarket,

Half right here Si - rennet is very expensive which is why big cheesemakers do not use it in mass production cheese any longer - and haven't for decades.

Artisan makers still use it for their more expensive cheeses and it is still widely used in aged, hard cheeses. So old school, expensive ones in the cheese shop.

Personally I don't feel guilt about it, I feel no need to 'excuse' it, I just don't get why anyone would expend that much thought on an animal. The fact people lose sleep over a Hen's living conditions while there are people out there living on the streets absolutely astounds me, I've got very little time for a creature which can live for extended periods without a head.

Caring about how animals are treated is just a natural extension (for me) of caring about how people are treated. There is empathy there.

Obviously I was brought up vegetarian, but the reason I remain one is that I cannot in good conscience draw a line between humans and animals and say "Okay, everything above this line is off-limits, and everything below it is food".

I see it more as a gradation than a firm line, as a rule of thumb, the further away from human it is, the less likely I am to give a damn about it. So I don't have a great problem swatting a fly, although I'd sooner shoo it out the house if possible.

I've trapped and killed mice in my house too. Some people might think me a hypocrite for that, especially as rodents are among humanity's closest relatives outside the primates, but it's more of a pragmatic thing: house mice are adapted to life in houses, if I trap it alive and release it some distance away, it will (a) come back, (b) become someone else's problem, © get eaten pretty sharpish by something else or (d) starve slowly death in a wild it is completely unaccustomed to. So killing something instantly doesn't seem so harsh by comparison.

But anyway, tl;dr. The reason I don't want to kill animals is the same reason I don't want to kill people.

it will (a) come back, (b) become someone else's problem, © get eaten pretty sharpish by something else or (d) starve slowly death in a wild it is completely unaccustomed to. So killing something instantly doesn't seem so harsh by comparison.

Which is exactly what would happen to either a cow or a chicken.

Add the poll option 'I have a healthy diet with a mixed balance of the food groups' please

That's pretty much it for me. I'll often have a veggie meal in work. (I'll equally often stick my face into a rare steak, a donner kebab a black pudding or whatever takes my fancy.) People always ask me if I'm vegetarian, just because I'm choosing to eat something with no meat in it. I just don't get the mindset of fundamentalist carnivores who reckon it's not a meal if it never bled.

The only benefits I can see to being a vegetarian are that you are more likely to enjoy a far healthier diet but to be honest I have no ambition to be in my 90's and shitting myself in some old folks home and not know who I am. Far better to go before reaching that stage having lived a life where you drank beer and ate food you enjoyed.

I don't tend to eat poor quality meat, I get my sausages and burgers from the local butchers and I eat chickens and steak from M & S, and joints of beef and the most expensive lowest fat mince from Asda, I've always been of the view you get what you pay for and I pay extra to get better quality.

I've no problems with veggies though as long as they aren't preachy about it.

Spot on that, I know a girl in work who has a direct debit paying a fair wedge each month to the RSPCA but wouldn't dream of giving money to something like Shelter or Mind or Scope or any other charity that involves helping fellow humans who are less fortunate. She is far from alone in my experience.

Ive had periods of about 6 months as a vegan, shorter periods of raw food only (vegan) long periods of lacto, and lacto - ovo - vegetarianism. I'm currently eating meat, after taking a break from it, because I was so affected by 'Supersizers go Elizabethan' I was puking at the thought of meat for about a week. All good now however, although I expect to be lacto ovo again next summer.