You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Vegetarianism

King Emlyn

Are you a vegetarian?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a vegetarian?

• Yes, meat is murder
    • No, I love meat me
    • I should consider it really
    • I have no intention of ever entertaining the idea

I try and be meat free twice a week. On a Monday I'll make veggie burgers with leftover Sunday roast veg, then later in the week I cook a mushroom risotto.

It's hard to keep up when there are choosy teenagers to cater for, they do enjoy those dishes which I guess is a start.

I could never go full vegan though.

31 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I'm not that into pretend meat. I'd rather have a spicy bean burger.

Bean burgers are tasty but I find they're often dry.

If I'm eating out, a beyond meat burger is a nice treat and a good option to have.

56 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I'm not that into pretend meat. I'd rather have a spicy bean burger.

Not sure who made it but I had a beetroot burger a few weeks ago when we were at friends of hers. 

It didn’t taste like meat despite them saying ‘look it even drips blood on the plate’ but it was bloody lovely. 

As you say, there’s thousands of amazing meat free dishes without having fake meat. 

Same, SD. Most of our meals are vegetarian and predominantly without 'fake meat'. Every so often we'll have a fake meat burger, sausage or meatballs because they taste nice. We know they aren't necessarily the most healthy meat free choice but they're an occasional treat.

I just want the same choice to eat junk food, thank goodness for those goo guys.

My wife has always been vegetarian and has never eaten meat, so from her point of view pretend meat isnt required. It also means I eat a lot of veg only dishes and I am good with that, if it tastes nice thats all Im arsed about, but I did have a fillet steak twice over the hols and it was a nice treat both times. I could see myself going vegetarian, vegan...not so.

On 10/01/2022 at 17:13, Em City said:

Burger King's plant-based Whopper is different gravy though.

Just tried this

Not to bad at all in the shitty burger chain run of things. Though £5 for just the burger these days, they're all taking the piss

• Upvote 1

On 11/01/2022 at 02:13, TheHowieLama said:

Love spicy black bean burger w sliced avocado - the Impossible is really very good. Well worth a try.

I had the impossible at Momofuko years back when they were really new and novel and really enjoyed it, as I do with quite a few plant based alternatives.

I just assume that I'll eventually drift in to fully vegatarian as society changes.

I was a vegaterian for years when I was younger though so that probably helps.

21 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Sorry, mate, I forgot the Diet Coke.

I’ve been thinking about this all yesterday and today.

My standard order is two double cheese burger, medium fries, six nuggets sometimes if I’m hungry and that’s me done for the day. 

How long did it take you to get through all that?

21 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

40 McNuggets, half a dozen Big Macs, two or three Big Tasties /McRibs/whatever the special was, mountain of fries.

This is remarkable levels of eating. I can’t lie, I’m curious, Tone. What sort of pace did you both start out with and manage to maintain?

I’m guessing the first few buckets (did you pour them into a bucket?) didn’t even touch the sides. But at what point did you start to flag?

I imagine the commitment required to keep going is quite something to behold. Grim, dutiful, almost mechanical eating from at least the mid-point on, Shirley?

I’m a fairly quick eater but I’d just pace myself. I’d given up drinking and needed something to replace going to the pub, so I’d sit in a 24 hour McDonald’s for a few hours. The excessive eating pissed my wife off almost as much as my drinking did,  so I had her take me for long, late-night drives instead.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

I’m a fairly quick eater but I’d just pace myself. I’d given up drinking and needed something to replace going to the pub, so I’d sit in a 24 hour McDonald’s for a few hours. The excessive eating pissed my wife off almost as much as my drinking did,  so I had her take me for long, late-night drives instead.

T, one more question as I am genuinely curious.

Did you order all in one go or did you order in small batches multiple times?

Found the oomph range by accident in Heron (the depressing frozen food store which has surprisingly good vege/vegan options)

The mince is the best plant based one I've had. Unlike quorn, which was my go to, you can form this into meatballs, steaks, burgers as well as using it as mince. 

I've picked up a vegetarian haggis as well which I'm looking forward to having with neeps and tatties. 

146 days as pescatarian 

• Upvote 1