You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Vegetarianism

King Emlyn

Are you a vegetarian?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a vegetarian?

• Yes, meat is murder
    • No, I love meat me
    • I should consider it really
    • I have no intention of ever entertaining the idea

I made these pastries the other night and they turned out really well, especially for ever attempt at making pastry. Mushroom, swede, potato and onion along with some gravy powder, melted non dairy butter and a few scoops of nutritional yeast for that cheesy flavour.

20200910_192006.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

Cheese and tomato pizza and chips today, aka just about the only veggie option available on the average Spanish menu. 

Oilves and bread? 
Gazpacho? 
Padrón peppers? 
Stuffed peppers? 
Potato omelette? 
Patatas Bravas? 
Baked courgettes? 
Courgette flowers? 

Think you need to criticise the restaurant you chose and not the country’s cuisine. 

6 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Oilves and bread? 
Gazpacho? 
Padrón peppers? 
Stuffed peppers? 
Potato omelette? 
Patatas Bravas? 
Baked courgettes? 
Courgette flowers? 

Think you need to criticise the restaurant you chose and not the country’s cuisine. 

I made some homemade gazpacho after I got back from Madrid last year. I was meant to make it all over the summer but you know, covid. 

6 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Oilves and bread? 
Gazpacho? 
Padrón peppers? 
Stuffed peppers? 
Potato omelette? 
Patatas Bravas? 
Baked courgettes? 
Courgette flowers? 

To be fair, 'Lou and Angie's Authentic Brit Caff' does its best, plus there's a Happy Hour between 1 pm and midnight.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, lifetime fan said:

Didn’t Danny say it was a freebie at his in-laws place? 

I’d never criticise someone for fucking off from the shite weather here for some sun no matter where it is. 

I once went to Benidorm with some mad Norn Iron bird I was shagging as it was a freebie from her work. Strange holiday. 

6 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

I once went to Benidorm with some mad Norn Iron bird I was shagging as it was a freebie from her work. Strange holiday. 

Yeah. 

I had a long weekend outside of Alicante staying with a gf’s grandparents about 20 years ago. 

Her mum and my mum were best friends but she was a few years younger than me. 

Her ‘Bampy’ picks us up from the airport and takes us back to their place, empties the suitcases from the car and tells me we need to have a chat. 

Takes me to the Legion and gets me bollocksed, he was old school navy. 

Last thing I can remember was him telling me, since I’ve lived here I’ve never worn a watch. When I’m hungry I eat, when I’m thirsty I drink. And if you’re horny don’t wake me up. 

1 hour ago, lifetime fan said:

Oilves and bread? 
Gazpacho? 
Padrón peppers? 
Stuffed peppers? 
Potato omelette? 
Patatas Bravas? 
Baked courgettes? 
Courgette flowers? 

They had patatas bravas, but there's usually meat in the sauce.

Yes, I could also have had an omelette. A scintillating choice.

I didn't choose the restaurant. But most restaurants here are like this. Truth. Some have no vegetarian option whatsoever.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

I didn't choose the restaurant. But most restaurants here are like this. Truth. Some have no vegetarian option whatsoever.

I’ve never struggled for meat free food in Spain. 

But then I wouldn’t ever go out for a three course meal in a Mediterranean country, I’d rather go out for the evening for a few drinks and order some small plates. 

4 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

I'm with Stronts, being veggie in Spain can be quite limiting at times, bread and olives are good but not a meal, usually a Margherita or an omelette is your best bet. 

2 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I'm with Stronts, being veggie in Spain can be quite limiting at times, bread and olives are good but not a meal, usually a Margherita or an omelette is your best bet. 

I’ve never experienced a problem with friends in Spain wanting meat free food in Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia, Alicante...

I’ve never been with someone vegan so can’t comment on that. 

In the interests of balance I should mention I had an excellent three course vegetarian meal yesterday at Giovanni's in Almoradi (tomato soup; linguine with vegetables in blue cheese sauce; chocolate cake with ice cream; plus a drink, all for just €11.95) although that place is run by an Anglo-Italian fella.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

In the interests of balance I should mention I had an excellent three course vegetarian meal yesterday at Giovanni's in Almoradi (tomato soup; linguine with vegetables in blue cheese sauce; chocolate cake with ice cream; plus a drink, all for just €11.95) although that place is run by an Anglo-Italian fella.

That’s a fucking bargain. 

37 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

I’ve never experienced a problem with friends in Spain wanting meat free food in Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia, Alicante...

I’ve never been with someone vegan so can’t comment on that. 

My birds (vegan) never really had any problems but the selection is limited. Pretty much the same as it is anywhere that isn't a vegan/veggie restaurant.