You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Vegetarianism

King Emlyn

Are you a vegetarian?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a vegetarian?

• Yes, meat is murder
    • No, I love meat me
    • I should consider it really
    • I have no intention of ever entertaining the idea

1 minute ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

MrsD isn't a fan of Thai. I'm looking for stuff which isn't essentially a stew/curry which is my usual go to for a vegetarian meal. 

We love some falafel but it's a bit labour intensive for a week day and want to avoid getting into deep frying lots which, again, I tend to fall into with vege food 

Haloumi is probably my fav veg item. Hummus is also quite easy to make yourself apparently.

My wife was pescetarian when I met her and remained so until last year when she turned herbivore. Her favourite meal now is rotisserie chicken.

Anws, she introduced me to Quorn which I am now a big fan of. One of the things we still do now is do a big batch of ‘bolognese’ or ‘chili con carne’ with Quorn mince. It’s tasty, does the job of substituting meat well, in that the texture and flavor are very different to minced meat, but it goes with the sauce almost as well IMO.

https://www.quorn.co.uk/products/meat-free-mince

• Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Can any one give me some ideas for quickish (as we both work) vege meals? 

Last two nights we've done a stir fry with tofu (not a fan, taste was there but the texture is just not for us) and last night a bean curry with deep fried breadcrumbed curry aubergine chips which was nice but time consuming

Doing the big shop today

If you look at restaurants you can get some really good ideas. For instance, my misses loves Nandos and they do this pitta with porto mushroom and halloumi with some jam etc. Takes about 10 minutes to make and is amazing. 

Get yourself a little grill pan and toast the lot. 

Alternatively, some nice ideas here: https://foodanddrink.scotsman.com/food/10-of-the-best-vegetarian-recipes-on-pinterest/

• Like 1

Portobello mushrooms stuffed with leeks, Stilton and breadcrumbs. 

Remember my olive and pesto Omelette that resulted in you getting sucked off (not by me). Chuck some Halloumi in there for the clincher. 

Also remember my brother's system of putting leftover curry in puff pastry and making pasties? Also works with chilli 

The soup thread has loads of quick delicious meals. 

Do you dig Mexican? There are various Fajita and quesadilla (sp?) packs you can buy, just add Quorn pieces, takes 20 minutes to make. 

Ainsley friggin Harriet has a Tagine making kit as well, was very impressed by it, picked it up at Aldi. 

A lazy one is pizza using prepacked naan or Turkish bread for the base

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Aubergine parmigiana is boss.

Food of the gods. Reckon am a bit of a dab hand at that.

Bought a cooking mandolin some while back specifically just to do this meal. Moved on to Dauphinoise potatoes just to keep the mandolin love in, going. My DP's are well fit and I've had that confirmed by dinner guests. 

Just now, Chip Butty said:

Food of the gods. Reckon am a bit of a dab hand at that.

Bought a cooking mandolin some while back specifically just to do this meal. Moved on to Dauphinoise potatoes just to keep the mandolin love in, going. My DP's are well fit and I've had that confirmed by dinner guests. 

Aubergine parmigiana is all-time favourite dish.

So here I am on 11th February 2019, still Vegan, which I wasn’t expecting, to be fair.

I’ve been tracking key indicators (except cholesterol) - weight, Blood Pressure and blood sugar.

As I mentioned previously I had high blood pressure. I’ve been taking Amlodipine for 5 years, BP hovering at 160/95. For the last 2 weeks, my BP has been consistantly in the 120s over 80-85 (still on same dose of meds) so the next goal is to reduce the meds.

Blood sugar, unbelievably, has normalised from a pre-diabetes level (was 6.5, now 5.4) which was a massive goal for me, and I’m well stoked. 

Also, I’ve lost 5KG and kept muscle mass by doing resistance work (my old Bullworker.)

Seriously thinking of doing the Jason Vale Super Juice 28 day Fast:

The results here are nothing short of miraculous - particularly the Crohn’s  victim, and the guy with a suitcsse of medication.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Linda Macs Toad in the hole with Cavell Nero and gravy tonight. That's 3 vege teas on the bounce now. Big shop done with only a chicken (a roast chicken is my weakness) and a pork loin bought for the week as meat. 

Trying to flip from one or two vege meals a week to one or two meat meals a week. 

Was it a meat free gravy, Paulie?

22 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

So here I am on 11th February 2019, still Vegan, which I wasn’t expecting, to be fair.

I’ve been tracking key indicators (except cholesterol) - weight, Blood Pressure and blood sugar.

As I mentioned previously I had high blood pressure. I’ve been taking Amlodipine for 5 years, BP hovering at 160/95. For the last 2 weeks, my BP has been consistantly in the 120s over 80-85 (still on same dose of meds) so the next goal is to reduce the meds.

Blood sugar, unbelievably, has normalised from a pre-diabetes level (was 6.5, now 5.4) which was a massive goal for me, and I’m well stoked. 

Also, I’ve lost 5KG and kept muscle mass by doing resistance work (my old Bullworker.)

The results here are nothing short of miraculous - particularly the Crohn’s  victim, and the guy with a suitcsse of medication.

Good on you mate. Obviously you’ve done our research and all, but I’ve never been convinced by “juice diets”. My mate did it for a week, and he struggled pretty damn hard.

23 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

I don't know what any of this means but I'm getting the feeling you are somehow healthier than you were before so as a result, have some rep. 'Stoked'. Jesus wept. 

• Upvote 1