You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Vegetarianism

King Emlyn

Are you a vegetarian?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a vegetarian?

• Yes, meat is murder
    • No, I love meat me
    • I should consider it really
    • I have no intention of ever entertaining the idea

26 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Looks fit that to be fair. Have you had them No Bull burgers

I haven't mate. 

I've been a little put off by the whole frozen veggie range now though. I've been hitting them for amount a month in difference dishes and I've been feeling really sluggish. Started to revert back to cooking everything from fresh and just prepping at the weekends and it's really boosted my mood. 

14 minutes ago, Seasons said:

I haven't mate. 

I've been a little put off by the whole frozen veggie range now though. I've been hitting them for amount a month in difference dishes and I've been feeling really sluggish. Started to revert back to cooking everything from fresh and just prepping at the weekends and it's really boosted my mood. 

Im not a fan of frozen food at all myself but they are very nice. 

2 hours ago, Seasons said:

Still going with this and having my favourite tonight. Port mushrooms, spiced halloumi, apple slaw and lemon mayo pitas. The taste is fucking amazing. 

IMG_20181215_172353.jpg

Port Mushrooms as in hip Street slang for Portobello mushrooms or are they in some way infused with a port flavour? 

3 minutes ago, Seasons said:

Obello Shrooms is the street slang. Port Mushies is just my laziness. 

Damn I thought there was some kinda cool Port mushroom flavouring technique. I do have some port and some mushrooms and am currently between jobs....

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Seasons said:

I haven't mate. 

Yeah - wholefood plant based is cheaper and healthier. The processed vegan range is ok for transitioning, but its still made in a factory.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

Excuse my ignorance on the matter but what's the differences between a vegetarian and a vegan? Too lazy to google

Vegans don't eat any animal by-products like eggs, cheese, milk and honey. Vegetarians like me usually do. In abundance! 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Remmie said:

Vegans don't eat any animal by-products like eggs, cheese, milk and honey. Vegetarians like me usually do. In abundance! 

Cheers Rem, got it now. I think I could handle going vegetarian for a bit but vegan sounds far too difficult. 

6 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

Cheers Rem, got it now. I think I could handle going vegetarian for a bit but vegan sounds far too difficult. 

I keep on telling myself to try it for a month for the health benefits and I think it's good to restrict your diet significantly so you are forced to try new food. Never got round to it but being both a vegan and a vegetarian is getting easier by the year. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Remmie said:

Others may disagree, but if someone didn't eat meat but did eat gelatine and rennet, I'd still class them as a vegetarian. 

Yeah, me too. It's hard to not use things like that anyway. Capsule medicines usually contain gelatine. Polymer banknotes contain tallow. Vehicle tyres are typically made with stearic acid from animal fat. Short of living in a cave, I don't know how anyone would totally avoid animal products.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Remmie said:

I keep on telling myself to try it for a month for the health benefits and I think it's good to restrict your diet significantly so you are forced to try new food. Never got round to it but being both a vegan and a vegetarian is getting easier by the year. 

The ex went vegan for a month so by default I ended up doing it too. 

Wasnt as bad as I feared but was still extremely limiting. 

16 hours ago, Remmie said:

This always gets me, those poor exploited bees!  Also know people who have rescue hens who are vegan and they throw away the eggs that are produced.  Madness.

11 minutes ago, Red_or_Dead said:

This always gets me, those poor exploited bees!  Also know people who have rescue hens who are vegan and they throw away the eggs that are produced.  Madness.

Well those bees spend most of their days collecting nectar loyally for their queen only to have a human pinch it! Plus rivals for the Queen position have to get squashed, it's barbaric! 

As for the egg situation it sounds like madness from your perspective but from a Vegan mentality it comes from an animal and the thought of eating it disgusts them. It's very hard to explain when you have never been a veggie or a vegan but for example I don't want to touch, look at or even smell bacon or any other meat, it repels me the same way shit might repel you. For Vegans it's the same. 

• Upvote 1

I’ve been giving this some thought lately and am in two minds. I am pretty much exclusively carnivore. Every meal is meat. Lucky if I eat 5 portions of veg a week.

My head tells me that should not work. I feel we should eat a veg diet peppered with meat. It is Ok the Inuit or Masai being big meat eaters and healthy but I’m not tracking antelope over 30 miles to catch it or sitting by a blow hole in minus 40 for 36 hours. I drive to Tesco.

I am going to start making big pans of veg broth in the slow cooker and at least include 1 vegetable meal per day.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Stronts/Rem do you guys only drink vegi beers/wine? 

Went out for a meal before Christmas with a mate and his militant missus. Just choosing a bottle of wine ruined the night for me. 

Life's too short for that, surely.

With that said, manufacturers could make it easier by properly labelling stuff if it contains fish bits.