You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Vegetarianism

King Emlyn

Are you a vegetarian?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a vegetarian?

• Yes, meat is murder
    • No, I love meat me
    • I should consider it really
    • I have no intention of ever entertaining the idea

59 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

I've had these and they were lovely. Had the No Chick burgers tonight which were indistinguishable from the crispy, chopped and shaped chicken burgers which I fuckin love.  

The Plant Kitchen stuff in M&S is lovely. 

She tried the KFC vegan burger the other day and loved it. Personally I think she is a hypocrite for buying anything from there as a vegan but her reply was "By them selling it if it means one person going in who would normally buy a chicken buys a vegan burger then its one chicken saved". Hard to argue with that to be fair. 

Currently on a course and on Monday the training center served up a vegetarian casserole. All well and good.

Cut to today, said Vegetarian casserole is now in a different large flat servicng dish and sporting reasonably sized circles of puff pastry and is now called Vegetarian Pies. 

Now, I'm all up for not making waste, but at least have the decency to make an effort, and for those of us who don't eat meat, please make sure you cover your tracks you unimaginative cunts. This is exactly why people are put off from eating more vegetable based diets. 

By the way, it was bang average both as a casserole and a pie. 

4 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

The Plant Kitchen stuff in M&S is lovely. 

She tried the KFC vegan burger the other day and loved it. Personally I think she is a hypocrite for buying anything from there as a vegan but her reply was "By them selling it if it means one person going in who would normally buy a chicken buys a vegan burger then its one chicken saved". Hard to argue with that to be fair.  

Oh my God I want KFC to start selling whole chickens.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

I've had these and they were lovely. Had the No Chick burgers tonight which were indistinguishable from the crispy, chopped and shaped chicken burgers which I fuckin love.  

I had one of these last night on a brioche bun , with shrooms , onions, lettuce a sprinkle of cheese and some tomato/relish . Very nice 

18 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I've seen a few hardline vegans making the same argument, that you shouldn't buy anything from KFC, McDonald's etc because those companies are responsible for the slaughter of millions of animals. I don't agree with it, and here's why.

Businesses aren't moral arbiters. They respond to what their customers want. The only reason KFC sells fried chicken is because there's a market for it. If everyone in the country was vegetarian, they would - quite clearly - only sell veggie stuff.

Therefore the only way to get them to sell fewer meat products is to keep buying meat-free products from them. Show them there's a big and growing market for vegan and vegetarian alternatives, and they'll offer more of them. This is exactly what has happened with Greggs, for whom the vegan sausage roll was such a success that they've brought in the vegan steak bake and are looking at expanding the range further. And it's a virtuous circle - as more and more alternatives become available, it becomes easier for people to switch to them.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I don't think the food market as a whole can expand much more, we already eat way too much as it is.

True (although the population is still rising and will do for the foreseeable future), hence the current direction by various fast food outlets to attract people who wouldn't normally have bought from them. It's good in terms of choice for veggies/ vegans, it might even help convert some people, but it's not really going to make much difference to the number of animals killed for food.

3 week today and still enjoying it.  Faced two of my biggest fears yesterday.  Cooking bacon for MrsD and KidD and going out for a few drinks and a meal with MrsD.  I was concerned that both things could've made me think "aw fuck it" and have a little go on the meat again but they didn't. 

Had a lovely paneer chili masala in Saffron in Crosby if anyone wants a recommendation.  Also, got ourselves one of those "hello fresh" boxes on offer.  Loads of good vegetarian ideas in there.  We've had miso and honey aubergine tacos which were fantastic and I've just made the fillings for a mushroom and caramelised onion wellington which is going to be done for our tea. 

On 23/01/2020 at 13:46, Strontium Dog™ said:

I've seen a few hardline vegans making the same argument, that you shouldn't buy anything from KFC, McDonald's etc because those companies are responsible for the slaughter of millions of animals. I don't agree with it, and here's why.

Businesses aren't moral arbiters. They respond to what their customers want. The only reason KFC sells fried chicken is because there's a market for it. If everyone in the country was vegetarian, they would - quite clearly - only sell veggie stuff.

Therefore the only way to get them to sell fewer meat products is to keep buying meat-free products from them. Show them there's a big and growing market for vegan and vegetarian alternatives, and they'll offer more of them. This is exactly what has happened with Greggs, for whom the vegan sausage roll was such a success that they've brought in the vegan steak bake and are looking at expanding the range further. And it's a virtuous circle - as more and more alternatives become available, it becomes easier for people to switch to them.

Just like Burger King and McDonalds all the veggie stuff is cooked on the same grill etc as murder food and hence is not veggie!

9 minutes ago, redheart said:

Just like Burger King and McDonalds all the veggie stuff is cooked on the same grill etc as murder food and hence is not veggie!

That's not true. McDonald's spicy veggie wrap, KFC's vegan burger and BK's veggie bean burger all have dedicated food preparation areas. They wouldn't be certified by the Vegetarian Society if they didn't.