You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Vegetarianism

King Emlyn

Are you a vegetarian?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a vegetarian?

• Yes, meat is murder
    • No, I love meat me
    • I should consider it really
    • I have no intention of ever entertaining the idea

41 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

I'll ask you again , do you have any veggie recommendations or not .

You fucking bastard 

Anyway just been tescos and cooked the following .

Linda mcartney with rosemary something or other 5/10 - just tasted like a mouthful of sage stuffing

richmond sausages  6/10 - strange taste 

tesco lincolnshire style - 7.5/10 - much better , definitely edible 

Had one scrambled egg with wholemeal toast as well , not too bad overall

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, elvis said:

I'll ask you again , do you have any veggie recommendations or not .

You fucking bastard 

Haha, not overly. But maybe get to know your local green grocers? They'll know what's best in season etc and might be able to order in stuff that's not on the shelves. 

Actually I had a lovely lunch yesterday of two chilli wraps, with mixed peppers and salsa. A sprinkle of salt and pepper, was lovely. 

15 hours ago, Chip Butty said:

Best is yet to come, get to about 6 months, the pipes are clean, your guts have balanced and then, the best bit.... You start shitting like you are 12 again.... In the water, touching the bend, in the air and yet still inside you. Next up after that and if you're lucky, you get the trinity poo, a true NWN poo. Beautiful.

If animal welfare, health or environmental concerns haven't converted the rest of the TLW masses, I think this post might well do.

6 hours ago, elvis said:

Was chatting in length to a skin/healthy eating scientist chap yesterday about my skin issues (rosacea) 

A lot of his talk was very interesting and during our chat he told me to watch the Netflix game changer documentary , which I really enjoyed 

I trust his knowledge ,  and some natural skin products he sent me have done more in three days than anything from my gp in 5 years

So the upshot is I'm interested in going meat free but don't know what's tasty and what's not . Would love an up to date ratings list for veggie  sausages , burgers etc we only have Tesco's , m & s and Waitrose round here so pretty limited options 

Also I'm not very patient in the kitchen

All help greatly appreciated 

Got a couple of vegan friends pushing me that way, so here are my findings thus far:

Linda McCartney mozzarella burgers in a brioche roll are very nice. Not a fan of the sausages though.

Vivera mince is pretty good for a bolognese or curry. Tend to do a bolognese for a meal or two, then turn it into chilli corn carne. Sling some mixed beans in there to bulk it out.

Vivera chicken pieces are similarly decent.

Quorn has an aftertaste like licking a tramp's arsehole, but with a southern fried coating it's alright (quorn that is, not rimming hobos).

If you're after a plant based milk substitute, the only acceptable one I've found is Oatley Barista. Goes particularly well with Chocolate Cheerios.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Got a couple of vegan friends pushing me that way, so here are my findings thus far:

Linda McCartney mozzarella burgers in a brioche roll are very nice. Not a fan of the sausages though.

Vivera mince is pretty good for a bolognese or curry. Tend to do a bolognese for a meal or two, then turn it into chilli corn carne. Sling some mixed beans in there to bulk it out.

Quorn has an aftertaste like licking a tramp's arsehole, but with a southern fried coating it's alright (quorn that is, not rimming hobos).

If you're after a plant based milk substitute, the only acceptable one I've found is Oatley Barista. Goes particularly well with Chocolate Cheerios.

Cherios rep.

6 hours ago, elvis said:

Scientist type chap , not really that arsed what he is to be honest . Got any recommendations for veggie stuff ?

On 12/01/2020 at 18:38, Bjornebye said:

Mate you need to try these:

2_no_bull_quarter_pounder_burgers_226g_7

On 12/01/2020 at 20:12, Remmie said:

Tesco Mexican beanburgers and Linda McCartney Mozzarella burgers are the best Veggie burgers I reckon.

As for Sausages I don't find a huge disparity in the quality to be honest Linda McCartney, Quorn and Cauldron sausages are all pretty good. 

I do love me some Quorn picnic eggs and also buy Quorn pieces for Mexican food and Quorn mince for Lasagna or Chilli.

If you enjoy cooking new stuff I recommend Simply cook spice boxes and recipe cards, it's £10 for 4 recipes and spice packs though you do need to buy the rest of the ingredients.

Experiment with marinating tofu and eating loads of Halloumi - I had a belting Halloumi curry at work last week. Another one which you can amend pretty drastically is Eggs in Purgatory if you Google it.

Keep on experimenting with new dishes to keep it interesting and see what works

3 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Thanks I saw the LM mozzarella burgers this morning , I'll try them and the others recommended by byornebye also . I'm looking forward to Lincolnshire sausages for brekky tomorrow morning 

31 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Any particular type of cheese? Any sauce or condiment?

I just meant any type of cheap cheese and branston pickle really. Have got a bad sense of taste usually so rarely notice cheese quality.

Wasn't even recommending it either I don't think, probably not that healthy with the amount of sugar in the pickle (i usually whine about something in loads of foods). Would be interesting if there's decent pickle that still tastes good with a lot less sugar in it.

23 hours ago, Chip Butty said:

Best is yet to come, get to about 6 months, the pipes are clean, your guts have balanced and then, the best bit.... You start shitting like you are 12 again.... In the water, touching the bend, in the air and yet still inside you. Next up after that and if you're lucky, you get the trinity poo, a true NWN poo. Beautiful. 

I believe this is known as a Royale

• Upvote 1

May as well confess that I'm not even veggie any more. Haven't been for about a year maybe? Can't remember properly but with anxiety issues I was getting freaked out about some nutrition stuff and ended up eating meat again after 4 years of being away from it.

After a while of eating quite a bit of different stuff my brother made a sausage stew type meal in a slow cooker and after I had some decided to tell me that he wasn't sure if it'd been cooked properly. That had me looking up food poisoning from pig meat and since then haven't touched any. I joke sometimes that I can't because I'm Jewish/Muslim, but glad it's cut one type of meat out.

Now I have chicken and fish at times (rarely beef if someone else has made something with it in) but can go days without meat and not really be bothered, am hoping I gradually go back to being veggie for the most part or properly again. Leaving fish behind will be hardest becasuse of the omega 3 fats it has, (even though I can get it from other sources, it can be more of a mess around/expensive.)

6 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Augergine parmigiana is one of my favourite dishes. Posted this loads of times but can’t remember anyone saying they like it, too.

I know it as Melanzane and it's great, very rich and oozing with cheese

• Upvote 1