You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Vegetarianism

King Emlyn

Are you a vegetarian?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a vegetarian?

• Yes, meat is murder
    • No, I love meat me
    • I should consider it really
    • I have no intention of ever entertaining the idea

9 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Most people have a predominantly vegetable diet though don't they? It's not like people are chowing down on bucket loads of meat for breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, supper. Most food is "plant based". Hence why humans are largely considered omnivore. 

Just saw an advert on telly for Birds Eye meat free "green cuisine" burgers. Again, it's some list of ingredients... 

Rehydrated Pea Protein (60%), Rapeseed Oil, Onion, Bamboo Fibre, Pea Flour, Spirit Vinegar, Stabiliser (Methylcellulose), Barley Malt Extract, Natural Flavourings, Tomato Paste, Salt, Pea Fibre, Wholegrain Oat Flour, Potato Starch, Antioxidant (Extract of Rosemary), Tomato Powder, Mushroom Powder, Onion Powder, Herbs

Birds Eye are generally good with ingredients compared to many others, I often say some ingredients lists look like chemical factories but have never had that issue with them I don't think. Here's veggie burgers they do that I eat sometimes :

Vegetables (40%) (Sweetcorn, Carrot, Broccoli, Onion, Cauliflower)

Water

Breadcrumbs (Wheat Flour, Water, Yeast, Salt)

Cooked Rice (Water, Rice, Salt)

Rapeseed Oil

Potato Flakes

Wheat Flour

Starch (Potato, Rice)

Vegetarian Mozzarella Cheese (Milk)

Whole Egg Powder

Onion Powder

Salt

Mustard

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Black Pepper

My main concern is usually rapeseed oil, it's so often used now and I only ever seem to see "rapeseed oil" and have no clue about quality. On the good side though that oil does have a decent amount of omega 3 in it, so as long as that hasn't been destroyed by whatever methods they used to prepare it that's good. If they used sunflower oil like they do rapeseed a lot of people could be in trouble due to the omega 6 it's loaded with, so it's good that so many have switched hopefully (meaning if the quality is good enough.)

I do still eat some stuff with sunflower oil in at times but always limit it.

• Upvote 1

One way of looking at it could be to simply limit whatever other stuff that's not natural veg like others would meat. So if there's concerns about what some veggie burgers/pasties or whatever other stuff has in them switch to something better and/or eat it sparingly. At the end of the day if it's used like meat it's only really used to make sure you get decent protein and some fat anyway if you're getting the right mixture of other stuff from veg.

So if the body has decent nutrients from normal veg I'd guess it might be able to handle some methyl cellulose and other stuff from time to time if that does even have any negative effects.

• Upvote 1

On 19/01/2020 at 08:25, Strontium Dog™ said:

Pretty sure that soy, rapeseed, onion, milk, yeast, barley, salt, garlic, cellulose, chickpeas, sunflowers and citric acid all occur in nature. Although I only have the one degree in bioscience, so you may want to check with a real expert.

It's what they do to them that is the problem.

Soy is one of the most evil crops going. Between the genetic modifications and the environmental damage being done to grow more and more of the stuff.

But then I only have qualifications in Biology, Environmental Studies, Horticulture and Med. Technology so what do I know.

2 minutes ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

Soy is one of the most evil crops going. Between the genetic modifications and the environmental damage being done to grow more and more of the stuff.

But then I only have qualifications in Biology, Environmental Studies, Horticulture and Med. Technology so what do I know.

Well, apparently you don't know that 85% of the world's soybean crop is going to feed livestock, so any environmental damage is nothing to do with vegetarians.

14 minutes ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

A note on rapeseed oil after seeing genetic modifications here : I was talking about UK rapeseed oil, I'd be way more wary in the US because they have GM variants over there.

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Well, apparently you don't know that 85% of the world's soybean crop is going to feed livestock, so any environmental damage is nothing to do with vegetarians.

I didn't say it was for vegetarians but the vast majority of "meat alternatives" etc are soy based.

The majority of, and the best, Australian lamb and beef is grass-fed, mostly on land that is otherwise unproductive (except of course for the original plants and animals on the land)

16 minutes ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

I didn't say it was for vegetarians but the vast majority of "meat alternatives" etc are soy based.

The majority of, and the best, Australian lamb and beef is grass-fed, mostly on land that is otherwise unproductive (except of course for the original plants and animals on the land)

I knew I was doing some good.

14 hours ago, Karl_b said:

Who cares? Why do you care so much what people choose to eat? You clearly understand the difference between a "mostly vegetarian" diet and a predominantly vegetable one that contains meat so why the pedantry? I choose to limit my meat consumption for all manner of reasons, I don't profess that everything I eat is the epitome of a healthy diet. I occasionally like to eat junk, I don't care if it contains the ingredients you've listed (which all sound ok to me anyway). I'm not eating this stuff every meal.

Because I'm a boring cunt probably. But it does bother me that companies dress up certain foods as a 'healthier option' when they're not. And I do think the vanishing of local grocers from our streets and the resulting disconnect in people not knowing where their food has come from is quite an interesting topic. But then I've only got the one degree in Urban Policy so what would I know.  

Anyway, I'm off to Red Cafe to laugh at some mancs. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

The same is true in the UK, where only about 10% of the diet of cattle is soy. So you put in 1000 kcal of soy and 9000 kcal of grass and get 1000 kcal of beef out of it.

However. There is the opportunity cost of using land for grazing livestock. Even if the land is unproductive from a crop standpoint, it still has value as a habitat for wildlife and as a natural carbon sink. This is without even mentioning the greenhouse gas emissions from cows.

The overall point being that it is always more efficient and less environmentally damaging to eat a meat-free diet, even if that happens to include things produced by Big Soya.

4 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Because I'm a boring cunt probably. But it does bother me that companies dress up certain foods as a 'healthier option' when they're not. And I do think the vanishing of local grocers from our streets and the resulting disconnect in people not knowing where their food has come from is quite an interesting topic. But then I've only got the one degree in Urban Policy so what would I know.  

I'd love to know which of these healthier options aren't actually healthier.

22 hours ago, Special K said:

I went vegetarian 2 weeks ago on ethical and health grounds.

Don't miss meat, yet

Fair play. 2 weeks pescatarian and I'm doing fine. MrsD coming along from the ride some days. Had mussels and chips for tea. Yesterday they had chicken roast, I had the veg with some of those No Bull burgers and it was great. 

16 hours ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

Mass farming in general is appalling for the environment. I'd be interested to know the comparison between the damage soy crop farming causes compared to mass farming of pigs or cattle. Not being snide, I would like to know. 

5 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I'd love to know which of these healthier options aren't actually healthier.

2 Linda McCartney sausages contain 0.8g of Saturated fat

2 Tesco reduced fat sausages contain 6.3g of saturated fat 

2 heck reduced fat sausages contain 1.5g of saturated fat

It's clear that there is some scope for weight loss by switching to some meat free options. If, of course, that is your definition of healthier which mine is.

22 hours ago, Special K said:

I went vegetarian 2 weeks ago on ethical and health grounds.

Don't miss meat, yet

Best is yet to come, get to about 6 months, the pipes are clean, your guts have balanced and then, the best bit.... You start shitting like you are 12 again.... In the water, touching the bend, in the air and yet still inside you. Next up after that and if you're lucky, you get the trinity poo, a true NWN poo. Beautiful. 

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Chip Butty said:

Best is yet to come, get to about 6 months, the pipes are clean, your guts have balanced and then, the best bit.... You start shitting like you are 12 again.... In the water, touching the bend, in the air and yet still inside you. Next up after that and if you're lucky, you get the trinity poo, a true NWN poo. Beautiful. 

Haha!!

Can't wait

We have been vegetarian since 2007. It was initially on moral grounds and then you realise the health and environmental benefits.

It does change your mind set. Previously we could walk into a supermarket and think oh lets buy a roast chicken and think no more of it than buying a tin of beans. Once you go veggie and stop buying meat then after a few weeks/months when you walk into a supermarket you realise that the butchers area is essential a bunch of carcases and you realise how physically and morally gross it all is.

• Upvote 1

Was chatting in length to a skin/healthy eating scientist chap yesterday about my skin issues (rosacea) 

A lot of his talk was very interesting and during our chat he told me to watch the Netflix game changer documentary , which I really enjoyed 

I trust his knowledge ,  and some natural skin products he sent me have done more in three days than anything from my gp in 5 years

So the upshot is I'm interested in going meat free but don't know what's tasty and what's not . Would love an up to date ratings list for veggie  sausages , burgers etc we only have Tesco's , m & s and Waitrose round here so pretty limited options 

Also I'm not very patient in the kitchen

All help greatly appreciated 

12 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

I sometimes eat tortilla and patatas bravas for my tea but what would I know, I’ve only got GCSE Spanish.

Fucking hell. If only we had a Spanish correspondent, you know, someone who knew about Spain, it’s culture, food and more importantly it’s women. Really seeing a gap there.