You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Vegetarianism

King Emlyn

Are you a vegetarian?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a vegetarian?

• Yes, meat is murder
    • No, I love meat me
    • I should consider it really
    • I have no intention of ever entertaining the idea

4 hours ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

I've started making my own veg burgers, I use a pea plant based mince from Tesco and make a Pattie or however it's spelt, they've shit other all others so far. I basically google for boss burgers but use the pea mince. 

Can you remember what it as called? Can’t find it.

On 12/01/2020 at 18:40, Champ said:

Although very easy to make yourself Sainsbury’s felafel with salad and pittas make good lunches.

Have you tried this chickpea tagine https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/slow_cooker_chickpea_12414? I just adapted it to make it on the hob but it’s very good

That looks great, will give it a go.

Does a slow cooker improve taste for one pot stuff like this? I just use a big pot on the hob but wondering is it worth changing over.

1 minute ago, El Rojo said:

That looks great, will give it a go.

Does a slow cooker improve taste for one pot stuff like this? I just use a big pot on the hob but wondering is it worth changing over.

I don’t have a slow cooker so I just follow a conventional method of softening the onion, pepper and courgettes in some olive oil, then adding the spices before adding the rest of the ingredients and then cooking gently for about 20-25min

• Upvote 1

On 05/01/2020 at 13:31, Paulie Dangerously said:

Dipping my toe in this month by committing to a pescatarian January leading to full vegetarianism down the line. Tipping point for me was cooking a 3kg piece of beef a few weeks ago and looking at it in a cm of blood in my roasting tray and thinking "fucking hell, that's a 3kg chunk of an animal's flesh." I'm just back from France eating all their cruelty-fueled confectionery for a fortnight and ready to start. 

Prepping my lunches for next week I'm making a shit load of falafel, some Lentil chilli and rice.

Wish me luck. 

That's not blood by the way, it's water and protein (myoglobin). There's rarely any blood in red meat sold to consumers. 

On 18/08/2019 at 05:06, Lee909 said:

Vegan food

They only eat natural grown food

No preservatives, vegan, fresh etc. 

Stews, Curries, Soup mostly. 

Beans, chickpeas

Good article here

https://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/how-to-make-your-own-jamaican-ital-food-at-home/

https://veganuary.com/recipes/ital-stew/

https://tropicalsunfoods.com/blogs/our-recipes/ital-curry

http://thevword.net/2015/01/jamaican-ital-curried-jackfruit-with-chickpeas.html

Steak is naturally grown too? 

29 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

That's not blood by the way, it's water and protein (myoglobin). There's rarely any blood in red meat sold to consumers. 

It's fucking horrible though. 

2 weeks tomorrow on the fish. Don't miss meat so far. Had a vegan burger in wethies the other night and it was lovely. Going for a meal tonight with the family so fish all the way. 

Already getting sick of the protein police 

The ingredients in those Linda McCartney burgers is eye opening. 19 different ingredients. How can that be healthy and more naturally occuring? 

Rehydrated Textured Soya Protein (64%), Rapeseed Oil, Onion (8%), Mozzarella Cheese (Milk) (8%), Seasoning (Yeast Extract, Malted Barley Extract, Onion Powder, Flavouring, Salt, Garlic Powder), Stabiliser: Methyl Cellulose, Chickpea Flour, Flavouring (Yeast Extract, Salt, Sunflower Oil, Acid: Citric Acid), Garlic Puree, Malted Barley Extract, Onion Powder

11 hours ago, johnsusername said:

The ingredients in those Linda McCartney burgers is eye opening. 19 different ingredients. How can that be healthy and more naturally occuring? 

Rehydrated Textured Soya Protein (64%), Rapeseed Oil, Onion (8%), Mozzarella Cheese (Milk) (8%), Seasoning (Yeast Extract, Malted Barley Extract, Onion Powder, Flavouring, Salt, Garlic Powder), Stabiliser: Methyl Cellulose, Chickpea Flour, Flavouring (Yeast Extract, Salt, Sunflower Oil, Acid: Citric Acid), Garlic Puree, Malted Barley Extract, Onion Powder

Pretty sure that soy, rapeseed, onion, milk, yeast, barley, salt, garlic, cellulose, chickpeas, sunflowers and citric acid all occur in nature. Although I only have the one degree in bioscience, so you may want to check with a real expert.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Agh those carefree days of eating a prekilled, nonindeginous animal because it was shot in the head with a bolt

We were talking about the 'natural' ingredients in mass produced Linda McCartney burgers. I'd fully agree there's nothing natural about the force-fed, hormone and antibiotic-boosted, plastic wrapped, water-injected chunks of animal produce that comprises the vast majority of meat sold.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

If you buy cheap crappy meat you'll get cheap crappy meat. Unfortunately people have forgotten how to shop at their local butchers or nearest farm. 

But some of the veggie range is full of shite too. Unless people really love Methyl Cellulose? 

Shite after the first album mate. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Pretty sure that soy, rapeseed, onion, milk, yeast, barley, salt, garlic, cellulose, chickpeas, sunflowers and citric acid all occur in nature. Although I only have the one degree in bioscience, so you may want to check with a real expert.

Veggie or meat - I do think that a large proportion of the population eat too much shite. Whether that's a mass produced Linda McCartney burger with 19 different ingredients (including Methyl Cellulose) or Turkey Twizzlers which are made with God knows what meat.

Unfortunately the big supermarkets have taken over, the local butchers and fruit and veg shops have closed and people may not have the local options they used to. Like when I was growing up and was sent down the local shops to get bags of fruit and veg and fresh cut meat. The supermarkets are pushing the farms to breaking point in order to maximise profits and it's the consumer who suffers. 

And now big companies are pushing Vegan simply because it's fresh money for them to tap into, they're not doing it for your health or for the fluffy animals, they don't give a shit. 

When I moved to my last house in 2013 there was a butchers round the corner. Sadly Tesco moved in down the road so that was it for the butchers and it closed. It's a shame the government or local councils can't give local stores some kind of rates assistance to help them get by.

Anyway, rant over! 

• Upvote 2

I fucking love a good burger and, as someone with a mostly vegetarian diet, feel absolutely no shame in eating a veggie one. As an infrequent indulgence amongst a varied, healthy diet I have no problems with it, in fact I had one last night.

32 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

I fucking love a good burger and, as someone with a mostly vegetarian diet, feel absolutely no shame in eating a veggie one. As an infrequent indulgence amongst a varied, healthy diet I have no problems with it, in fact I had one last night.

Most people have a predominantly vegetable diet though don't they? It's not like people are chowing down on bucket loads of meat for breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, supper. Most food is "plant based". Hence why humans are largely considered omnivore. 

Just saw an advert on telly for Birds Eye meat free "green cuisine" burgers. Again, it's some list of ingredients... 

Rehydrated Pea Protein (60%), Rapeseed Oil, Onion, Bamboo Fibre, Pea Flour, Spirit Vinegar, Stabiliser (Methylcellulose), Barley Malt Extract, Natural Flavourings, Tomato Paste, Salt, Pea Fibre, Wholegrain Oat Flour, Potato Starch, Antioxidant (Extract of Rosemary), Tomato Powder, Mushroom Powder, Onion Powder, Herbs

Who cares? Why do you care so much what people choose to eat? You clearly understand the difference between a "mostly vegetarian" diet and a predominantly vegetable one that contains meat so why the pedantry? I choose to limit my meat consumption for all manner of reasons, I don't profess that everything I eat is the epitome of a healthy diet. I occasionally like to eat junk, I don't care if it contains the ingredients you've listed (which all sound ok to me anyway). I'm not eating this stuff every meal.