You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Vegetarianism

King Emlyn

Are you a vegetarian?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a vegetarian?

• Yes, meat is murder
    • No, I love meat me
    • I should consider it really
    • I have no intention of ever entertaining the idea

I've been vegan over a week now but will probably have to leave that by the wayside when I eat out at restaurants. So far, I'm holding out though. I'm trying out all sorts of meat substitutes and I made myself a massive bowl of lentil soup yesterday.

Are there any decent vegan cheeses out there? I've heard mostly horrible things and would like a half decent alternative to the big block of cheddar that's currently sitting in my fridge.

2 hours ago, Em City said:

I've been vegan over a week now but will probably have to leave that by the wayside when I eat out at restaurants. So far, I'm holding out though. I'm trying out all sorts of meat substitutes and I made myself a massive bowl of lentil soup yesterday.

Are there any decent vegan cheeses out there? I've heard mostly horrible things and would like a half decent alternative to the big block of cheddar that's currently sitting in my fridge.

Violife isn't too bad but it doesn't melt properly. Apparently Daiya is better, but I haven't tried it

On 2/18/2019 at 3:59 AM, Hades said:

Animals are already in hell and we are the devil.

The mistake you are making here Hades is anthropomorphising animals with your Western Liberal values, rather than thinking of the benefits of the species as a whole.

You are projecting that every single chicken wants to be a majestic golden eagle, soaring on the breeze above mountains and verdant valleys.  Sure they may struggle to find food some days, but they are free to be hungry, free to hunt, free to make their own decisions, free to vote for a democratically elected capitalist government.

On the other hand chickens have entered into a symbiotic relationship with humans who protect them from predators, feed them and enable them to breed. 

There's a couple of thousand Golden Eagles, while chickens are the most populous bird on the entire planet, despite being small and pretty easy targets for prey.  Which species has the better tactics?

If there's a climactic natural disaster, a la meteorite strike, which species has the better chance of survival?  Numbers say chickens.

The fossil record is replete with animal species that were wiped out in the competition for resources or by predators, yet cows got themselves into a symbiotic relationship with the apex predator of the time and now there are hundreds of millions of them.  They get the run of the best land in the world to feed, protected from other predators and encouraged to breed.  Sure some are treated like shit, but others lucky enough to be born in Japan get massages and free beer.

If we don't hold up our end of the bargain, cows and chickens would have far less chance of survival as a species.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

......... yet cows got themselves into a symbiotic relationship with the apex predator of the time and now there are hundreds of millions of them.......

1.67 Billion cattle - doesn’t include Dairy cows, I don’t think.

Their efluent run off is the single biggest cause of ocean acidification, according to Sir David Attenborough.

10 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

The mistake you are making here Hades is anthropomorphising animals with your Western Liberal values, rather than thinking of the benefits of the species as a whole.

You are projecting that every single chicken wants to be a majestic golden eagle, soaring on the breeze above mountains and verdant valleys.  Sure they may struggle to find food some days, but they are free to be hungry, free to hunt, free to make their own decisions, free to vote for a democratically elected capitalist government.

On the other hand chickens have entered into a symbiotic relationship with humans who protect them from predators, feed them and enable them to breed. 

There's a couple of thousand Golden Eagles, while chickens are the most populous bird on the entire planet, despite being small and pretty easy targets for prey.  Which species has the better tactics?

If there's a climactic natural disaster, a la meteorite strike, which species has the better chance of survival?  Numbers say chickens.

The fossil record is replete with animal species that were wiped out in the competition for resources or by predators, yet cows got themselves into a symbiotic relationship with the apex predator of the time and now there are hundreds of millions of them.  They get the run of the best land in the world to feed, protected from other predators and encouraged to breed.  Sure some are treated like shit, but others lucky enough to be born in Japan get massages and free beer.

If we don't hold up our end of the bargain, cows and chickens would have far less chance of survival as a species.

It's easy to paint a picture from both sides really but it all comes down to how you process the justification of it. For me, I've swerved the likes of PETA/Vegan aggressors because frankly, I don't enjoy nor see any benefit to watching animals get mistreated. Their shock tactics work for some but for me, I'd rather have the discussion without the visuals. Equally, the picture you paint above sounds like we protect them and therefore it's natural for us to utilise this resource. I think you're selectively picking parts of the whole story to fund that perspective (similar to what Hades has done). There would be no reason why we couldn't protect them and reduce our consumption by finding alternatives. The story of "what life does a chicken want" is an endless path too, an animals primary instinct is to survive - whether that's in the wild or in a protective environment. 

I think the one thing that made me switch was looking at the benefits of eating meat and whether or not this could be achieved without it. Combine this with a surge to recycle, reduce the amount of clothes I buy and reuse a lot of things it felt a natural curve to follow especially when I read up about ethics within each industry. Equally, it's been challenging because I don't think we're quite there yet as a society to have an equal balance of alternatives. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, .̯. said:

It's easy to paint a picture from both sides really but it all comes down to how you process the justification of it. For me, I've swerved the likes of PETA/Vegan aggressors because frankly, I don't enjoy nor see any benefit to watching animals get mistreated. Their shock tactics work for some but for me, I'd rather have the discussion without the visuals. Equally, the picture you paint above sounds like we protect them and therefore it's natural for us to utilise this resource. I think you're selectively picking parts of the whole story to fund that perspective (similar to what Hades has done). There would be no reason why we couldn't protect them and reduce our consumption by finding alternatives. The story of "what life does a chicken want" is an endless path too, an animals primary instinct is to survive - whether that's in the wild or in a protective environment. 

I think the one thing that made me switch was looking at the benefits of eating meat and whether or not this could be achieved without it. Combine this with a surge to recycle, reduce the amount of clothes I buy and reuse a lot of things it felt a natural curve to follow especially when I read up about ethics within each industry. Equally, it's been challenging because I don't think we're quite there yet as a society to have an equal balance of alternatives. 

Those images are essential. The only justification for eating our spiritual brothers and sisters is in times of starvation. Monotheistic religion and narrow-minded left-brain thinking justifies dominion over Nature and mechanisation of living, breathing souls. Our natural intelligence, and that of all tribes closely connected to the earth, recognise the divine in all of creation and treats creatures with the respect they deserve.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Any good vege places to eat in town?

You been to Down the Hatch yet? There's that new Frost Burgers too but a little pricy (never tried it like). 

4 minutes ago, Hades said:

Those images are essential. The only justification for eating our spiritual brothers and sisters is in times of starvation. Monotheistic religion and narrow-minded left-brain thinking justifies dominion over Nature and mechanisation of living, breathing souls. Our natural intelligence, and that of all tribes closely connected to the earth, recognise the divine in all of creation and treats creatures with the respect they deserve.

You're that blert outside Primark shouting about God, aren't you?

46 minutes ago, .̯. said:

Nice reply, Face man, but I’m afraid I was mainly just trying to stir up Hades with a bit of pseudoscientific bullcrap. So I’m not sure my post was entirely worthy of your response.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Nice reply, Face man, but I’m afraid I was mainly just trying to stir up Hades with a bit of pseudoscientific bullcrap. So I’m not sure my post was entirely worthy of your response.

Saw right through it, I'm afraid. Seasons has held a grudge against me ever since I was critical of psychology so do continue trying. 

10 hours ago, Strontium Dog said:

Cows have already gone extinct as a wild species, due to people hunting them. Not sure you've thought this through...

I take it you're specifically talking about Aurochs, rather than bovines in general - which do still exist as wild species.  Considering it's range and the period of it's main decline, it's difficult (but not unreasonable) to attribute it's extinction  just to hunting - although the enclaves that existed into modernity, yeah.

2 hours ago, Hades said:

Repped.

2 hours ago, Hades said:

Saw right through it, I'm afraid. Seasons has held a grudge against me ever since I was critical of psychology so do continue trying. 

I don't have a grudge against you, my friend. The heart of science is to disprove the existing/established theory which I'd have loved if you attempted that however you just plucked experience and opinions and tried to apply them with some complex and unnecessary vocab. Again, there's no animosity merely just a reluctance to discuss the ins and outs of established therapies within a depression thread that may discourage people from accessing therapy. 

47 minutes ago, .̯. said:

I don't have a grudge against you, my friend. The heart of science is to disprove the existing/established theory which I'd have loved if you attempted that however you just plucked experience and opinions and tried to apply them with some complex and unnecessary vocab. Again, there's no animosity merely just a reluctance to discuss the ins and outs of established therapies within a depression thread that may discourage people from accessing therapy. 

Spoken like a true puppet of the Archons.