You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Vegetarianism

King Emlyn

Are you a vegetarian?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a vegetarian?

• Yes, meat is murder
    • No, I love meat me
    • I should consider it really
    • I have no intention of ever entertaining the idea

Reasons not to consume dairy: 

The cow is raped. 

Calves are taken away from their mothers at birth. The mother cries for hours.

Male calves are murdered for "veal".

Female cows undergo the same abuse of as their mother before being slaughtered at age 5.

Vegan milk options are available. 

Vegan cheeses are available. 

Reasons not to eat eggs:

Baby chicks have their beaks seared off with a hot blade and no anaesthetic.

Male chicks are ground alive in macerators.

Egg-laying hens are raised in cages they can't even turn around in. Most have broken bones or infections by the time they're slaughtered.

Animals are already in hell and we are the devil.

13 minutes ago, Hades said:

The cow is raped. 

Female cows undergo the same abuse of as their mother before being slaughtered at age 5.

Reasons not to eat eggs:

Egg-laying hens are raised in cages they can't even turn around in. Most have broken bones or infections by the time they're slaughtered.

This is fair comment, but can you promise by 2020 you won’t have developed a new persona who insists animals bring everything they get on themselves because you once got pecked by a hen you tried to bring home.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Dr Nowt said:

This is fair comment, but can you promise by 2020 you won’t have developed a new persona who insists animals bring everything they get on themselves because you once got pecked by a hen you tried to bring home.

If hens blame the well-behaved roosters for hens throwing themselves at psychopathic roosters the chicken elders have every right to step in and put them straight rather than buying in to their nonsense. 

• Downvote 1

First week down. Switched from a 5:2 ratio of meat to vegetarian main meals to a 3:4. The three were a pork fillet I didn't really enjoy, a roast chicken which is my absolute favourite (and the thing ill find hardest to kick) and a meal of sustainable mussels and line caught trout which was lovely. Can't say I've felt my life has been changed either way. I'm off this and next week and the meals I've prepped have been quiet time consuming. 

Going for a 2:5 next week. Starting with black bean burgers tomorrow. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

First week down. Switched from a 5:2 ratio of meat to vegetarian main meals to a 3:4. The three were a pork fillet I didn't really enjoy, a roast chicken which is my absolute favourite (and the thing ill find hardest to kick) and a meal of sustainable mussels and line caught trout which was lovely. Can't say I've felt my life has been changed either way. I'm off this and next week and the meals I've prepped have been quiet time consuming. 

Going for a 2:5 next week. Starting with black bean burgers tomorrow. 

Good effort mate. We started down this path a few years ago and are now mostly meat free. I don't claim to be vegetarian (unlike the wife, who is) but reduce my meat consumption to a level I'm happy with. We don't cook meat at home, I have a bacon butty when I'm at work every other Friday, we'll occasionally go our for breakfast and if we're at either set of parents for a Sunday dinner then I'll eat meat. Oh and we eat eggs from our own hens!

It's not even something we think about anymore, it's just how we eat. We have plenty of great cookbooks, grow loads of great veg in the garden and enjoy trying new things. It's pretty easy, really, after a while.

53 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

Good effort mate. We started down this path a few years ago and are now mostly meat free. I don't claim to be vegetarian (unlike the wife, who is) but reduce my meat consumption to a level I'm happy with. We don't cook meat at home, I have a bacon butty when I'm at work every other Friday, we'll occasionally go our for breakfast and if we're at either set of parents for a Sunday dinner then I'll eat meat. Oh and we eat eggs from our own hens!

It's not even something we think about anymore, it's just how we eat. We have plenty of great cookbooks, grow loads of great veg in the garden and enjoy trying new things. It's pretty easy, really, after a while.

Cheers mate. 

I'm finding it quite easy. MrsD less so.  Being of French heritage she's a firm meat eater and the French will virtually eat anything with a pulse.  Nothing I've cooked has blown her away even though some of it has been really great. It's all been "alright" or "not as good as *meat equivalent*" 

I'm trying not to think of it as being a meat alternative but as a separate thing. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Cheers mate. 

I'm finding it quite easy. MrsD less so.  Being of French heritage she's a firm meat eater and the French will virtually eat anything with a pulse.  Nothing I've cooked has blown her away even though some of it has been really great. It's all been "alright" or "not as good as *meat equivalent*" 

I'm trying not to think of it as being a meat alternative but as a separate thing. 

That's absolutely the way to do it. We eat the odd meat substitute (I like Linda McCartney's 1/4lb burgers) and some dishes we eat are often made with meat (curries, chillies, stews) but treating vegetables as the main ingredients for meals just opened me up to a whole world of alternative recipes.

9 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Cheers mate. 

Good work my friend. 

I recently changed my position on the vegetarian stance. At first, I went full in on the veggie options and saw the difference merely because most of my meals became freshly cooked/contained a lot of healthy veg. Then I went into the Quorn/alternatives to see if there were any takers and really there's a few (LMc burgers, Quorn nuggets/fried chicken, their sausage patties aren't too bad neither) but just slumped my mood really. I then was getting fed up of the absolutely shite veggie options in restaurants and whenever we went out with family, nobody really wants to dine at a boss veggie restaurant so I did the usual thing as asked for meal options with substitutes. You'll often get looked at like you're asking for freshly cooked rice at Wetherspoons. 

I started speaking to a few friends from work about it all (they've been veggie for years) and one of them said they'd felt in the same position. They said, "just go for the best thing on the menu. If you want the veggie option, do that, if it's the roast chicken, do that. That way you'll stick to your goal of going meat-free with the odd dish here or there." 

Quite like that approach if I'm honest. I've naturally been going meat-free and if the options are utter dire then I'll look at the chicken options. Swerving beef/pork though as I've lost all interest in them. Chicken though, found it almost impossible to find an alternative unless it's nuggets. Quorn nuggs are exactly the same in texture and taste. 

Went on a bit of a rant here but just thought I'd post it because I'm really important. 

17 hours ago, Hades said:

The cow is raped. 

Reasons not to eat eggs:

If they don’t like it, they should stop being so fucking tasty.

Nobody to blame but themselves.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, .̯. said:

Good work my friend. 

I recently changed my position on the vegetarian stance. At first, I went full in on the veggie options and saw the difference merely because most of my meals became freshly cooked/contained a lot of healthy veg. Then I went into the Quorn/alternatives to see if there were any takers and really there's a few (LMc burgers, Quorn nuggets/fried chicken, their sausage patties aren't too bad neither) but just slumped my mood really. I then was getting fed up of the absolutely shite veggie options in restaurants and whenever we went out with family, nobody really wants to dine at a boss veggie restaurant so I did the usual thing as asked for meal options with substitutes. You'll often get looked at like you're asking for freshly cooked rice at Wetherspoons. 

I started speaking to a few friends from work about it all (they've been veggie for years) and one of them said they'd felt in the same position. They said, "just go for the best thing on the menu. If you want the veggie option, do that, if it's the roast chicken, do that. That way you'll stick to your goal of going meat-free with the odd dish here or there." 

Quite like that approach if I'm honest. I've naturally been going meat-free and if the options are utter dire then I'll look at the chicken options. Swerving beef/pork though as I've lost all interest in them. Chicken though, found it almost impossible to find an alternative unless it's nuggets. Quorn nuggs are exactly the same in texture and taste. 

Went on a bit of a rant here but just thought I'd post it because I'm really important. 

Seasons, your name is absolutely fucking tragic, mate. I'd expect nothing less from a meat-eating vegetarian. 

18 hours ago, Hades said:

The cow is raped. 

Reasons not to eat eggs:

I genuinely respect your decision to avoid all animal products (chocolate biscuits aside) but your red pilling of this thread, which has a lot of people who share or who are starting to share, the vegetarian/vegan ethos is completely unnecessary. 

There hasn't been an invasion of the "mmm bacon is great" brigade for ages 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

I genuinely respect your decision to avoid all animal products (chocolate biscuits aside) but your red pilling of this thread, which has a lot of people who share or who are starting to share, the vegetarian/vegan ethos is completely unnecessary. 

There hasn't been an invasion of the "mmm bacon is great" brigade for ages 

It's helpful to keep up the reminders where these things are concerned. I would likewise appreciate feedback on where I was going wrong (as you just did, to your credit). 

18 hours ago, Hades said:

The cow is raped. 

Reasons not to eat eggs:

Yet another good reason to leave the fucking EU. We won't have to put up with their Greenpeace, tree hugging bullshit regulations like above.