You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Vegetarianism

King Emlyn

Are you a vegetarian?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a vegetarian?

• Yes, meat is murder
    • No, I love meat me
    • I should consider it really
    • I have no intention of ever entertaining the idea

25 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Shit, is gravy a meat?? 

No! Seriously? I was so hoping you were going to come back to me with a great meat free gravy recipe. As I've said before my daughter doesnt eat meat but I can make toad in the hole and have a tray of 'real' sausages and a smaller batch with meat free...usually Cauldron.

Speaking of meat free recipes, does Mrs D like coconut milk as I have a fabulous spicy lentil recipe?

Jamie Oliver's vegetable chilli is also another staple at ours...https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/veggie-chilli/

23 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

I'm always too lazy for that. 

Can I get that lentil recipe though? I'll have to make it not spicy for MrsD and her bland French palate 

The recipe's called Spiced Red Lentils but it really isn't that spicy 

9oz split red lentils

2 medium onions, chopped

3oz butter (I never use this much)

6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced

1 medium carrot, coarsely grated

2 teasp cumin seeds

11/2 teasp yellow mustard seeds seeds

3 level teasp ground turmeric

1 x 400ml coconut milk

4-5 thick slices ginger, unpeeled

400g chopped tomatoes (tinned)

juice lime

chopped coriander

salt, pepper

In a large frying pan, fry the onions in half the butter until pale golden

Add half the garlic,  the carrot and the whole spices and continue to cook gently for a further 5 min

Stir in the turmeric and allow to cook for further 2 min

Add the lentils and 10 fl oz water, the coconut milk, ginger, tomatoes, 1/2 teasp salt, and a good grind of pepper

Bring to the boil and simmer uncovered for 30-40 min stirring occasionally until the lentils are tender.

Remove from heat.

Melt the remaining butter and then add the remaining garlic and stir around vigorously until thy take on a little colour.

Remove the ginger pieces

Stir into the lentils and then add the lime and coriander to serve.

You can eat it on its own but it goes great with onion bhajis/pakoras, naan/chapatis and raita and pickles

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/11/2019 at 12:29 PM, Champ said:

Is it? I didn’t know that.

I’d always rather make from scratch. Its too chemically for me

The granules are for me too, but I tried that 'Bisto Best' thing they do, and it's actually fucking great. If you add in your meat juice and some veg water with that... you're on to a winner. It's lovely. 

EDIT: No idea of it's vegetarian though. 

3 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Black bean enchiladas

Would've bean (snigger) vegan but for the yogurt to tone down the fiery sauce for MrsD

Shit picture but it was lovely 

Edit: I just removed the picture as it was awful but the meal was fantastic. Will post recipe if anyone wants 

Yes please 

12 hours ago, Slippin’ Jimmy said:

The granules are for me too, but I tried that 'Bisto Best' thing they do, and it's actually fucking great. If you add in your meat juice and some veg water with that... you're on to a winner. It's lovely. 

EDIT: No idea of it's vegetarian though. 

After the meat juice, no.

11 hours ago, Champ said:

Yes please 

So it was kind of a mashup of various bean enchilada recipes I had seen online. I used dried black turtle beans which I'd soaked and cooked, but I guess you could use kidney beans or any pulses you had but the black beans worked really well. 

For the bean filling. 

2  red onions, finely diced

3  garlic cloves crushed

Black beans - I didn't measure these but I guess it was about 1 and a half tins worth once drained and cooked

2 peppers (one red one yellow) Just had these in the fridge, diced 

1  large grated carrot

1  heaped tsp cumin seeds

2  heaped tsp cumin powder

2  heaped tsp paprika

1  beef stock cube (vege friendly)

For the enchilada sauce:

1 tin tomatoes

3 tsp chili powder

1 tbs flour

400ml chicken stock

1 tsp cumin

1 garlic clove crushed

Method

In a dry pan toast the spices for a few minutes and put them to one side, add some oil and fry your onions, then garlic and add the spices and a bit of water to make a loose paste.  Add the carrot and peppers cover and cook out for 5 minutes.  Crumble in the stock cube and add the beans and a little more water.  You don't want it to be too soggy but needs to have some liquid to keep things loose at first. Cover this and slowly simmer for about an hour, using a spatula crush the mixture to split some of the beans and get it all together. 

For the sauce mix the tomatoes, chickenstock, cumin and garlic in a bowl, I blended this with a hand blender to make it nice a smooth.  Fry the flour and the chilipowder in some oil in a small sauce pan, slowly add some of the sauce mix and whisk like you are making a white sauce.  Keep adding and whisking then reduce by about a third. 

I let everything cool for a few hours as did it in the afternoon.  I assembled it by putting a generous scoop of the bean mix in small, wholewheat tortillas in a baking dish, saved some of the bean mix to put on top of the toritillas and poured the spicy sauce generously over it.  I put some yogurt on for MrsD as it would've been a bit hot for her.  Baked for about 25 minutes on high until the top was crispy and it was steaming hot.

Enjoy. 

• Upvote 1

We went to an amazing SE Asian vegan restaurant in Belfast in January and I had one of the best curries I've ever had. They called it a Malayoo curry but it was essentially a Malay curry crossed with ramen. It had rice noodles, shiitake mushrooms, veg, pickled pineapple and peanuts. The sauce was cococnut, spicy and had lentils for consistency; it was incredible and I've been trying to recreate something like it since. Just polished off an amazing bowl of something like the above, using only stuff we had in the house.

- Make a green Thai curry paste (1 green pepper, 1 lemongrass, 4 garlic cloves, 4 spring onions, ginger, a chilli, cumin, soy sauce, salt, pepper, a little oil).

- Set some red lentils to cook.

- Fry an onion until it goes translucent then add finely chopped garlic (3 cloves) and ginger (about the same amount as garlic) and cook for another minute or so.

- Add veg of your choice (I opted for loads of oyster mushrooms and a pumpkin we had) and cook for 5 minutes.

- Add a can of coconut milk and 700ml (ISH) of veg stock. 

- Simmer until the veg is cooked, add spinach for the last few minutes.

- Take some of the sauce and blend it with the lentils until smooth. Add back in to the pan.

- Prepare rice noodles and add to bowl.

- Ladle in curry, add fresh coriander and cashew nuts.

• Upvote 3