You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Vegetarianism

King Emlyn

Are you a vegetarian?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a vegetarian?

• Yes, meat is murder
    • No, I love meat me
    • I should consider it really
    • I have no intention of ever entertaining the idea

1 hour ago, Remmie said:

I can imagine the scene Col. Was she militant or strict? 

I stay ignorant on what booze is truly veggie, though wouldn't drink Bacon infused beers which seem to be hitting the craft beer scene. 

Oh she’s militant. 

Had the dirty look when I said we’ll have the pinotage and whatever Kelly would like. 

3 hours ago, Remmie said:

Well those bees spend most of their days collecting nectar loyally for their queen only to have a human pinch it! Plus rivals for the Queen position have to get squashed, it's barbaric! 

As for the egg situation it sounds like madness from your perspective but from a Vegan mentality it comes from an animal and the thought of eating it disgusts them. It's very hard to explain when you have never been a veggie or a vegan but for example I don't want to touch, look at or even smell bacon or any other meat, it repels me the same way shit might repel you. For Vegans it's the same. 

Yeah, I can see the squeemishness on the part of vegans not wanting to have the eggs, but to throw them away is a bit daft to me.

Didn't know you were a veggie, do you not touch beers with lactose in then?

Gregg's have played a blinder here.

If they'd just launched a vegan sausage roll the way they'd launch any new product, nobody would notice.  Instead, they went into Twitter - the land of the permanently outraged and easily provoked - and got (ironically enough) a load of gammon to spread the word for them.

(Their response to Piers the cunt Morgan is particularly sweet.)

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/britains-gammon-overreacts-to-greggs-vegan-sausage-roll/02/01/?fbclid=IwAR2MpnRySjcLR684fq-Y3KNmP0vDkZwsAEXyUDxtc9su2SMXRIwbiCW1I3M

MrsD and I didn't fancy a meat tea, we usually have a couple a week but with Christmas and new year we've been riding the Flesh big time. Just whipped up a chickpea and spinach curry and this show stopper. Tikka roasted cauliflower with mint creme fraiche and pomegranate

MrsD who is not a huge fan of cauliflower wolfed it. Will become part of weekly tea rota. 

IMG_20190105_182526_684.jpg

• Upvote 5

8 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

MrsD and I didn't fancy a meat tea, we usually have a couple a week but with Christmas and new year we've been riding the Flesh big time. Just whipped up a chickpea and spinach curry and this show stopper. Tikka roasted cauliflower with mint creme fraiche and pomegranate

MrsD who is not a huge fan of cauliflower wolfed it. Will become part of weekly tea rota. 

Looks like a pile of shite, to be honest, mate, but I bet it was tasty. I’d definitely eat it. Any curry left? If so, could you pm me some, please? 

1 hour ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Looks awesome that

On 12/17/2018 at 7:34 AM, rico1304 said:

Fuck me I didn’t realise you had to do that too! 

I’ve been vegetarian for yonks, but became pre-diabetic, with high blood pressure (I’m 61) - basically, I’ve been addicted to cheese, Milk, Butter, and any type of vege oil, as well as salt.

I started dabbling with a strict vegan diet most of the week, as well as restrictive eating, just letting go at the weekends. Trouble is, Monday Tuesday I felt like shit, but by Friday I’d picked up again - see the pattern?

I’ve jumped right into Veganuary with the Penne Gillette all potato diet, that halved his weight and got rid of his high blood pressure.

I’ve Already dropped 3 kg and feeling much better after 5 1/2 days.

steamed spuds with skins on. That’s it. No meals. Eat when hungry, but I can now predict dropping energy levels prior to getting hit with hunger, and snack accordingly. Even love cold spuds straight out of the fridge, as resistant fibre.

in another week I’ll get into more diverse food - banana spinich smoothies etc, salads with flax for omega 3s and broccoli for the sulfurfane.

still taking a b12 ‘drop’ that I pop into my water canister.

1 minute ago, Red Shift said:

I’ve been vegetarian for yonks, but became pre-diabetic, with high blood pressure (I’m 61) - basically, I’ve been addicted to cheese, Milk, Butter, and any type of vege oil, as well as salt.

I started dabbling with a strict vegan diet most of the week, as well as restrictive eating, just letting go at the weekends. Trouble is, Monday Tuesday I felt like shit, but by Friday I’d picked up again - see the pattern?

I’ve jumped right into Veganuary with the Penne Gillette all potato diet, that halved his weight and got rid of his high blood pressure.

I’ve Already dropped 3 kg and feeling much better after 5 1/2 days.

steamed spuds with skins on. That’s it. No meals. Eat when hungry, but I can now predict dropping energy levels prior to getting hit with hunger, and snack accordingly. Even love cold spuds straight out of the fridge, as resistant fibre.

in another week I’ll get into more diverse food - banana spinich smoothies etc, salads with flax for omega 3s and broccoli for the sulfurfane.

https://www.intelligenteating.org/blog/the-potato-diet

9 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

I felt miserable just reading that. I was surprised you didn't start blending potatoes and pulling them out the ground when you're peckish. 

6 minutes ago, Seasons said:

I felt miserable just reading that. I was surprised you didn't start blending potatoes and pulling them out the ground when you're peckish. 

Haha. Yeah I understand. I love potatoes, so it’s pretty easy to live on them for a couple of weeks ( he says, 5 days in ) but for me it’s about personal discipline. Finding emotional comfort from other things to break bad habits.

I toyed with bananas only, as an alternative, when thinking this through. I definately decided to ‘mono’ for the 1st 2 wks of veganuary

• 1 month later...

Can any one give me some ideas for quickish (as we both work) vege meals? 

Last two nights we've done a stir fry with tofu (not a fan, taste was there but the texture is just not for us) and last night a bean curry with deep fried breadcrumbed curry aubergine chips which was nice but time consuming

Doing the big shop today

6 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Can any one give me some ideas for quickish (as we both work) vege meals? 

Last two nights we've done a stir fry with tofu (not a fan, taste was there but the texture is just not for us) and last night a bean curry with deep fried breadcrumbed curry aubergine chips which was nice but time consuming

Doing the big shop today

Any Thai curry and swap the meat with either tofu and/or loads of ‘meaty’ veg like mushrooms, aubergine, squash, chickpeas.

• Upvote 1

Just now, aRdja said:

Any Thai curry and swap the meat with either tofu and/or loads of ‘meaty’ veg like mushrooms, aubergine, squash, chickpeas.

MrsD isn't a fan of Thai. I'm looking for stuff which isn't essentially a stew/curry which is my usual go to for a vegetarian meal. 

We love some falafel but it's a bit labour intensive for a week day and want to avoid getting into deep frying lots which, again, I tend to fall into with vege food