You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Vegetarianism

King Emlyn

Are you a vegetarian?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a vegetarian?

• Yes, meat is murder
    • No, I love meat me
    • I should consider it really
    • I have no intention of ever entertaining the idea

Tofu is class when it's done properly. Unfortunately I can't count those times on my thumbs. The stuff you get from a Chinese takeaway is usually shite and enough to put anyone off trying it again.

Anyone know any supermarkets that do a good nut roast? Ever since I actually looked at the ingredients I've wanted to try one.

Marks and Spencer did a roasted butternut, almond and pecan one. I'm not sure if they still do it though.

• 7 months later...

Going back to a veggie diet for a while.

If im feeling tired and shit i tend too. Seems to work a treat for me. Tried the low carb and for me it was shite,tired,pissed off and constapated too much for my liking.

I should really stick to it. I may well do this time(well apart from the odd meal out).

I am on reduced carbs at the moment and don't seem to have issues like that. I am eating a lot of eggs, nuts (especially almonds), mushrooms, cheese and strawberries.

How’s that going BTW, mate? Still as strict as you were in the beginning?

I’m considering a mix of low carb and intermittent fasting.

How’s that going BTW, mate? Still as strict as you were in the beginning?

I’m considering a mix of low carb and intermittent fasting.

Playing it by ear, really, so it varies. I haven't been logging things to the gram, just mostly avoiding anything with high concentrations of carbohydrate. If I did eat a sandwich or something, then that's all I would have. Not like in the past, when I would have the full meal deal (sandwich, crisps, fruit juice). I avoid sweets entirely, except for small amounts of 85% cocoa chocolate and sugar free gum. Haven't had any kind of cooked potatoes for months. If I feel peckish, I snack on nuts or Babybels rather than crisps.

Yeah didn't do well with me.

Have to watch sugars too so id normally cooked loads of med style veg but that spikes my bloods.

Im not eating breakfast much,unless i feel the need amd mostly eating between 12-8 and seems to be working well.

Playing it by ear, really, so it varies. I haven't been logging things to the gram, just mostly avoiding anything with high concentrations of carbohydrate. If I did eat a sandwich or something, then that's all I would have. Not like in the past, when I would have the full meal deal (sandwich, crisps, fruit juice). I avoid sweets entirely, except for small amounts of 85% cocoa chocolate and sugar free gum. Haven't had any kind of cooked potatoes for months. If I feel peckish, I snack on nuts or Babybels rather than crisps.

Yielding results still? I heard it can slow down after the first month or two

Yielding results still? I heard it can slow down after the first month or two

It slowed down for me. I lost 14lb pretty sharpish, then it plateaued for a few weeks. Over the weekend I've lost a couple more pounds. So long as it's going in the right direction, it's fine; I only need to look at a donut to put on weight.

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

My daughter (8 years old) has told me she doesn't want to eat animals any more.

So, Quorn veggie balls, mince and nuggets are the order of the day until we adjust and find some other veggie dishes she might like.

Any tips for parents with young veggies? Apart from violent beatings and drinking to block out the feeling of failing as a parent.

My daughter (8 years old) has told me she doesn't want to eat animals any more.

So, Quorn veggie balls, mince and nuggets are the order of the day until we adjust and find some other veggie dishes she might like.

Any tips for parents with young veggies? Apart from violent beatings and drinking to block out the feeling of failing as a parent.

I know you are being truthful but the first thing I thought of was one of those tweets you see "My 6 year old said to me "dad, why should humans be considered the dominant species on the planet when, in biological terms, we share as much DNA with a banana as a monkey?" #proudparent" which get jumped on by the didn't happen crowd.

Good luck with that mate. 

• Upvote 1

I know you are being truthful but the first thing I thought of was one of those tweets you see "My 6 year old said to me "dad, why should humans be considered the dominant species on the planet when, in biological terms, we share as much DNA with a banana as a monkey?" #proudparent" which get jumped on by the didn't happen crowd.

Good luck with that mate.

Haha, I see what you mean. She wants to be a vet when she grows up and absolutely loves animals, pets etc. I'll happily cut down but can't see myself giving up completely. At least not immediately.

I have a big slow cooker, I could add my seasoning/sauces and cook it in that.

The tofu will not hold up in a slow cooker -- just put it in a little oil in a skillet -- same way you could do polenta. Actually polenta would be better with a marinara.

My daughter has been on this same kick for going on 5 years now -- same reason.

What is good for dinners -- veg shepherds pie also vegetable wellingtons. You can throw just about anything into either and with an onion gravy you will enjoy it. 

Not sure what brands you have there but Gardein veg meatballs are actually quite good - again a better match for Italian dishes.

Also a good spicy black bean burger is outstanding.

Do not go down the no eggs road -- no coming back from there and cheese pies are good as well - you can throw anything in there with those -- simple and easy.

Also if you can convince her that fish are really not animals it will make your life easier. 

And you will never get over the feeling of failure - except on Sundays when there is more bacon for you. So - winning.

• Upvote 1

Get soya mince from Tesco or Sainsbury’s. Good for chilli and bolognese. You can use quorn pieces in curries etc. Quorn have a load of stuff. Tesco has also upped their veggie/vegan range recently

Yeah, I second this. Piece of piss, that stuff. They also do a meat free Lincolnshire sausage that tastes better than actual sausages. I shit you not.